16 votes
13.95%
6 votes
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
18.60%
8 votes
Parasite
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I wouldn't mind it all if that happened. Jump for joy in fact. But I think they will go split on it. Parasite takes the foreign language one, and anything else takes the other one. But that begs the question, why nominate in the first place if you are not going to award it.

To be fair, this year is so good, it's a free for all!

I got the 100th post on this thread!!! Hahahahahahahaha

But that begs the question, why nominate in the first place if you are not going to award it.
Why have more than one nominee, by that logic?

This has been the silly thing about expanding to eight or nine or even ten nominees for Best Picture instead of the traditional five. You can put fifteen or thirty movies on there it's still going to come down to two or maybe three movies that have a legit chance each year.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Why is this thread now flagged under Jojo Rabbit?
Is that a clue as to the winner??
Does Steve have insider Oscars info and does this explain his mysterious absence from these boards???
Is there any point in doing the Oscar picks now????

All this and more will be answered in next week's episode of Mofoap.....

Welcome to the human race...
For me the thread is showing up twice but with two tags, one for Jojo Rabbit and one for 1917, the latter of which certainly seems more plausible.

I get two threads with both of them tagged!!

Why have more than one nominee, by that logic?
Ummm, coz it's sort of a competition. At least we like to think so!

Just watched this!

For me the thread is showing up twice but with two tags, one for Jojo Rabbit and one for 1917, the latter of which certainly seems more plausible.
Ideally, ping me about this stuff since I'm not necessarily going to see bug reports in any particular thread.

Anyway, please let me know which page this is on. I'm not seeing it on the forum or the search results, so I assume it's some lesser-used one like Subscribed Threads or something.

Why is this thread now flagged under Jojo Rabbit?
Is that a clue as to the winner??
Does Steve have insider Oscars info and does this explain his mysterious absence from these boards???
Is there any point in doing the Oscar picks now????

All this and more will be answered in next week's episode of Mofoap.....
I'm fiddling around with the tags, I can associate threads with more than one movie, though I'm not sure if it always makes sense to, or how to display things if I do. But it ensures it shows up on multiple movie pages, so that's nice.

I see it on the awards section main page

Looks like it's fixed now

1917 has been doing gang busters and in a rushed season such as this, it's very easy to assume that would be the natural winner. However, given that there hasn't been a single best picture winner since Chicago that hasn't won either Director or Screenplay, the best bet for any upset would be Parasite, a near-perfectly reviewed indie darling that I'd imagine would do well on a preferential ballot (1917 seems too perfect for the role of "classic BP winner" to win these days on a ballot like this). It's SAG win already cemented it's runner-up status, but an almost assured win for original screenplay puts it dangerously close towards BP - both seem to indicate that maybe we're ripe for an upset. Not a single BAFTA winner for Best Film, since 12 Years a Slave, has gone on to win the Oscar. I'm still conflicted about which way to predict this. My head and my gut are at war. Stats tell me 1917 is an easy win, but instincts tell me we're in for an upset...

Eh, screw it. I'm going to bite the bullet and say Parasite wins best picture as part of a groundswell of passion. YOLO.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well it's a shame I didn't get to sneak Parasite in before the Oscars and I won't have time in these next couple days. But I do think 1917 would be the best winner of this decade if it wins.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Shape of Water being my favorite of the decade. After that, probably Spotlight or The Artist, both in dire needs of rewatches.

This for the first time this decade, or as far as my memory can go back, I would say the foreign film category is weaker than the main segment.

1917 is a weighty film that's visually immaculate at times, but I think that's really where it stops, though. "Good". Nothing really groundbreaking, just fine. Really sums up 70% of the last decade's best picture winners imo. I'm expecting an upset this year, but I wouldn't really be surprised if they decide to go safe and reward another war film.

Shape of Water being my favorite of the decade. After that, probably Spotlight or The Artist, both in dire needs of rewatches.
Spotlight's great and was most definitely better on several re-watches. At the time, I really didn't appreciate it because of the films it beat (The Revenant and Mad Max; not to mention it won in a BP category where Carol and Anomalisa weren't even nominated). But it stuck with me. It was so elucidative and informative in the best way, almost like a captivating documentary. Very captivating. Also, the film's nuanced approach to being weighty and important without glorifying it's real life figures or the story itself when other films about journalism fail to do so (*COUGH* The Post), was a very mature approach and made it stand out alongside other newsroom films such as All The President's Men and Zodiac.

The Artist and The Shape of Water are both fine pieces of Hollywood comfort food, but I wouldn't really call them outstanding. The Shape of Water in particular stood out as being a really safe choice, as it pretty much encapsulated all the things the BP nominees had individually that year (a female protagonist, an African American who experiences racism, a gay character who has an interest in the arts, set in a period during war), and didn't really do them much better. Probably the best example in how to make modern Oscar bait. The visuals and performances were nice, and the score was particularly whimsical, but it wasn't really that enticing for me and I haven't re-watched it much since.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The most average BP selection I recall... I still have to see Parasites though, but all the other films are the definition of "meh..."