Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

5th re-watch...The most controversial and talked about film of 2005, perhaps the entire decade. I am one of the few people on the planet who believes this film deserved the Best Picture Oscar it won. This movie ruffled a lot of feathers during its initial release because it shed a very unflattering light on behaviors in this country that a lot of people would like to think no longer exsist, but I think anyone who didn't find something in this film that they could relate to or find completely believable is lying to him/herself. The most impressive thing about this film is the balance Paul Haggis' story provides, primarily through the characters played by Chris "Ludacris" Bridges and Ryan Phillippe and the surprising climaxes to their stories which we don't see coming at all. I think this film is a masterwork and it hasn't lost one bit of its power in the 14 years since its release. I saw this film during its original theatrical release and as I walked out of the theater, I said to myself, "This movie is going to win the Best Picture Oscar." I also said that Matt Dillon would win Best Supporting Actor, but he did get a nomination.

Alraune [A Daughter Of Destiny aka Unholy Love] (Henrik Galeen, 1928)

Not always easy to know who to root for

Captain Marvel

+

Alita: Battle Angel

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Excellent sweet sad indie movie. IIRC, @Citizen Rules likes this movie.

Re-watch of an excellent documentary. What a scam this college dropout perpetrated against her naïve & über-gullible investors. Not to mention the risks she caused to the health of patients who took her non-existent blood tests.

I really like Chekhov, but, for me, this movie could have gone either way. Despite many bad reviews, I thought it was rather delightful. Great cast, especially Bening, & very well-acted.

Spotlight (2015)

Had to watch this after seeing so much praise for it in the Movie Reviews part of the forum, and I was not disappointed. It's captivating throughout and never over steps anything just for entertainment sake. Only fault would be that it didn't quite hit me as emotionally as I thought it would in several scenes

A Mighty Wind (2003)

This one's for @lenslady, because she's a big folk music fan. Directed by Christopher Guest, and featuring many of his stock players, this mockumentary is so adept at seeming like a real documentary that it's easy to miss the satire and its lampooning dialogue.

Guest is a master at this style of film, but despite perfect performances from most of the cast, along with their ability to play musical instruments and sing, it didn't tickle my funny bone in the same way as did Guest's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind's send-up of Hollywood.

It may be that Guest is past his prime today, but there are a dozen subjects I'd love to see him satirize...

~Doc
Thanks for thinking of me Doc . I am a fan of folk music, as you know..I also saw this movie years ago, but to tell the truth it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Mostly forgettable - as you said, not one of Guest's best.

A film about folk music , more serious than this, that really impressed me when I saw it was Songcatcher. This movie explores Appalachian folk music, with a track list of some admired talented singers- including a bone chilling version of the old classic Barbara Allen by our esteemed Emmy Lou Harris. You don't even have to watch the entire movie if you choose , but here's one song by Emmy Lou- if you like, , take a listen...

Top 3 being the Vengeance Trilogy?
Top 3 would probably be Oldboy, The Handmaiden and Lady Vengeance.

Too Old to die Young was indeed immense. Hard to give it anything less than 9 out of 10. I want to meet the High Priestess.

Unregistered User
Top 3 would probably be Oldboy, The Handmaiden and Lady Vengeance.

Too Old to die Young was indeed immense. Hard to give it anything less than 9 out of 10. I want to meet the High Priestess.

As long as its on good terms, I'd be up for that!
How cool was Malone dancing though?!

Unregistered User

Krisha (2015)

Debut film that was shot in 9 days apparently?! Seriously impressive stuff. Its pretty intense from start to finish and the lead character, Krisha, who has a strained relationship with her family, makes my anxiety levels go through the roof. Expertly shot and quite Cassavetes-esque in parts.

Highly recommended.

Krisha (2015)

Debut film that was shot in 9 days apparently?! Seriously impressive stuff. Its pretty intense from start to finish and the lead character, Krisha, who has a strained relationship with her family, makes my anxiety levels go through the roof. Expertly shot and quite Cassavetes-esque in parts.

Highly recommended.

Loved that one. She's on Twitter and is always eager to talk about the film. She is his real life Aunt. Trey Shults worked with Jeff Nichols alot as a lighting assistant or something. Nichols persuaded him to go into directing. He also worked on The Tree of Life. Great future.

Unregistered User
Loved that one. She's on Twitter and is always eager to talk about the film. She is his real life Aunt. Trey Shults worked with Jeff Nichols alot as a lighting assistant or something. Nichols persuaded him to go into directing. He also worked on The Tree of Life. Great future.

Good to know, I'll look her up. Yes I'd heard that too. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

This light-hearted Neil Simon comedy still provides consistent grins, thanks primarily to Simon's one-liners and the lovely performances by Marsha Mason and Jason Robards. This film also marked the film debut of Matthew Broderick, playing Mason's son. Leading man Sutherland's son, Keifer, also makes his film debut here, billed in the credits as a character named "Bill" but I have to confess that as many times as I have seen this film, I have never been able to spot him.

Not so much now, only watched around 20 fights since Joe Calzaghe retired.
But I like films about boxing and boxers. Obviously the Rocky films and Raging Bull are at the top. But I like the old films like Champion with Kirk Douglas, streets of gold with Wesley Snipes etc...

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I Knew Her Well - 6/10
Reminded me of "La Dolce Vita" (not a big fan of anyway, maybe I'll watch it a 4th time). This could have been a great movie.