CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Are you saying that people don't like pancakes as much as they do in the movies? I don't like them, but everyone else I know loves them, so I thought maybe the movies depict it accurately therefore.

Have you ever noticed that when someone is running away from a car chasing them (or even an airplane) they run straight away down the street? All they'd have to do is veer straight right or left, and the chaser couldn't follow.

Of course then it would not have the same dramatic impact. But it happens so often in films that you'd think one of the characters might think, "Hey I saw a scene like this in movie. Maybe I'll just turn and run off the road."...

~Doc

Two tropes that I currently hate. Must have mentioned this before: when people make a date, they always say they’re free on such & such a date, but a time is never ever stipulated. Makes no sense.

A new trope I see more & more is to insert songs into a soundtrack that bear no relation whatsoever to the movie. A movie I saw yesterday did this. Songs that ordinarily one would never listen to that are used solely as filler.

Compared to the Graduate, for example, where S&G’s songs were in the soundtrack & they all made sense in the context of the movie & at the time they appeared in the movie.

Oh okay, haven't noticed the song one yet. Another one I have been noticing are characters removing their sunglasses, when it's sunny, whenever something a little dramatic happens.

⬆️ I noticed this a lot in the last season of Gomorrah. Everyone wearing shades outside, but when they want to say something of importance, glasses are removed. Me, I keeps mine on to hide behind.

Are you saying that people don't like pancakes as much as they do in the movies? I don't like them, but everyone else I know loves them, so I thought maybe the movies depict it accurately therefore.
No, I do believe Americans love pancakes. But I highly doubt that the average person jumps out of bed in the a.m. & immediately starts beating pancake batter. Especially on a weekday.

Yeah that's true. Another cliche is near the end of a thriller, when you have a ticking bomb scenario, instead of the good guy just shoot the bad guy and neutralize the threat, the hero and villain pause and engage in a moral, philosophical debate, thus risking the ticking timer. The Peacemaker (1997) does this off the top of my head.

No, I do believe Americans love pancakes. But I highly doubt that the average person jumps out of bed in the a.m. & immediately starts beating pancake batter. Especially on a weekday.
I don't like pancakes at all...so I never, ever eat package batter at the crack of dawn

Oh okay, I live in Canada, and people here love their pancakes, so if I see people in movies eating them for breakfast, I believe it .

As for movies with over-nurturing men, what are some examples?

I don't like pancakes at all...so I never, ever eat package batter at the crack of dawn
Heck, no. For sure I would have a stomachache.

Sensitive, caring or nurturing men. Completely phony, and now trite. The sooner this PC trope goes the way of the Keystone Cops, the better.
Wut? You’d rather have Neanderthals? To my mind, a real man is sensitive & caring.

Wut? You’d rather have Neanderthals? To my mind, a real man is sensitive & caring.
I think it's manly to be perceptive, understanding, courteous, and capable of showing a softer side. But most men who attempt to be sensitive, caring and nurturing soon become way out of their depth. That is the realm of the female. Most men who display those traits to women are simply trying to impress them or to romance them.

I think it's manly to be perceptive, understanding, courteous, and capable of showing a softer side. But most men who attempt to be sensitive, caring and nurturing soon become way out of their depth. That is the realm of the female. Most men who display those traits to women are simply trying to impress them or to romance them.
Not trying to get into this debate or anything, but was there a specific character in a movie that you were thinking of? Just curious.

Not trying to get into this debate or anything, but was there a specific character in a movie that you were thinking of? Just curious.
No, it's not an instance. It has been a general PC trend of the feminization of American males over the past 20+ years. My sense is that it's more prevalently represented on TV than in feature films.

Further, it's been so pernicious that a certain segment of society --predominantly Millenials and younger-- have been brainwashed to believe that there is not only no significant difference in the sexes, but that a child ought to be able to choose which sex it wants to be. Unfortunately this type of irrational perverse thinking has been creeping into primary education, academia, government and of course, entertainment.

... have been brainwashed to believe that there is not only no significant difference in the sexes, but that a child ought to be able to choose which sex it wants to be.
Amusing how people assume that anyone with a different viewpoint is “brainwashed”.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that if a girl child feels like she ought to be a boy child that she be allowed to take that path. She might change her mind later, but, surely, she can trust her own feelings.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
To my mind you've been had, and GulfportDoc is trolling. At this point it's the only explanation other than rightist/conservative doggedness which doesn't save his face anyway.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

It's one thing for a legal adult to decide to undergo genital mutilation and extensive hormone therapy which often result in suicide or misery. But it's quite another to allow a child to make the same decision-- in some cases without appropriate counsel from the parents or mental health professionals.

Given the amount of disinformation and high emotion regarding the subject, mostly based upon hearsay and social movements, I think it's important to look at the actual research studies and the opinions of physicians who are authorities in the pertinent specialties.

It surprised me that there possibly no more than 6-8 rigorously researched scientific studies covering the subjects. Here is some expert commentary discussing those studies which I found illuminating:

Transgenderism: A Pathogenic Meme - https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/

Sex Reassignement Doesn't Work. Here is the Evidence -

https://www.heritage.org/gender/comm...e-the-evidence

Transgenderism: A State-Sponsored Religion? -
https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/01/20547/

Have their been lots of cases where the child has made the decision? I thought that in most cases, it was an age of consent 18+ plus thing for that type of decision making.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There seems to be a huge leap between your posts, each tackling a different subject.

Firstly, you're signaling your discontent with the expression of sensitivity and care by men (SIC!), and theorize those are the characteristics of a female, and men who express them have an ulterior motive. You seem to believe there are two distinct realms of male and female, and all people have to abide by them. If that's the case, well, it creates a serious issue as it endangers individualism and pigeonholes people into predefined roles. Men and women are expected to behave and feel a certain way, but it isn't necessarily the way they want to feel and behave. You're clearly irked by the alleged feminization of men, but with no specific examples it can't be discussed any further.

Secondly, you're complaining people think there is no difference in the sexes (wait, wut?), and that (this time!) children have to comply to some predefined roles and types of behavior as, following your previous posts, one would think by "choosing sex" you mean showing characteristics allegedly reserved and limited to the opposite sex. How do you suggest this should be exacted? A child is not a property of the parents, but a human being. You can't force his or her social role and all it entails. Or can you, in your opinion? If so, how far are you willing to go in accomplishing this goal? What measures would you take assuming informatory ones wouldn't work?

Thirdly, you're yapping about actual, physical sex change as opposed to the social sex change (or just showing the characteristics of the opposite sex) you talked about before. You (rather deliberately which means cunningness, but perhaps unconsciously which means it's YOU who've been brainwashed) resort to a language manipulation strategy by avoiding neutral terms and replacing them with your own. For example, genital mutilation instead of i.e. genitoplasty. Don't you think the high suicide rate among transsexuals is induced by the lack of acceptance, and persecution, and the sex change surgery is a way of making them at peace with their own bodies? And of course the consultation with medical professionals is required while the sex change is a process, and not something done on a whim in two days.

Fourthly, the links you provided. Making pointless claims about the normality and abnormality (people used to make such claims about homosexuality, too, completely missing the point) as well as that the operation "frequently" does not provide the long-term wholeness and happiness that people seek (as if denying them that possibility would). But there's more! Placing transgenderism among one of the manifestations of "doctrinaire faith" - they're actually calling it a religion! Further on, manipulation, over-exaggeration, or just plain lying. Again, the mysterious "LGBT ideology". I'm waiting for "redhead ideology" and "big lips ideology". Mixing transgender with transvestite. The notion that they have to be "rescued", of course, doing them more harm than good. Oh yeah, but I should check the validity of that site, first, shoudln't I? Hardly experts. LOL. Rightist/Conservative think tank links linking further to rightist propaganda that bends reality as much as it accusses the other side of doing it. Hardly an eye-opening revelation as you make it sound.

Summing up, boys showing sensitivity and care, or girls showing traits traditionally associated with the masculine don't mean the end of the world, or that your traditional values are at stake. If they are, though, deal with it, because this means they were wrong in the first place. And not very strong and well-rooted if they can be overthrown so easily, eh? Whether or not little children should be allowed to undergo a sex change operation is debatable, but the fact changes made at such young age make the later adult individual practically indistinguishable from the peers that were born in correct bodies is one argument. Gender dysphoria cannot be cured the way the conservative zealots want it to be "cured", so the hormone therapy, and sex change operation are ways of mitigating the suffering of a person. The person is suffering, because he or she has been assigned a wrong body. Imagine yourself born in the body of a woman. Oh, wait, you sick... I'm not talking about that! This is a serious conversation, come on! Should we conduct more research as politically and ideologically free as possible? Sure. Both sides spew propaganda, and tend to manipulate, but right now the choice is between providing the only known "treatment" that brings relief and makes transgender people more likely to accept themselves, and trying to force them to abide by whatever norms you seem fit, effects of which are far more damaging than a possible discontent with the operation, or whatever other reason you seem to find legitimate.

Thanks so much for making me write it. Otherwise, waiting in a queue wouldn't be as entertaining. Hehe.

I'm with Mr Minio on this one, but....maybe we need a separate thread before this blows up further?