Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Mandy (2018)

So, you've been trying to find a Carl Jung movie...

You really should patent your snooze factor ratings. I can so relate.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

+

There are parts of this movie that are incredible with scenes that are horrifying or creepy. I don't prefer when actors I like are in make-up or costume that makes them unrecognizable, but Charles Laughton as Hunch was great. It wasn't just expressions and speech, but his physical efforts were both surprising and riveting. Maureen O'Hara is a hot joy to watch and most of the supporting cast was also excellent. The movie looks phenomenal and it's a good story. What keeps it from becoming a real favorite for me is the tone. As dark as it was at times, there were other times it came off as lighthearted. It's a great movie nonetheless.

FUNNY GAMES: (2007)

A scene-for-scene remake of director Michael Haneke's own, same-named 1997 Austrian film, "Funny Games" has more on its mind than startling displays of blood and terror. Yes yet another US purloin of a European film. Can Haneke please tell me why he called his film "funny games" as the terror these two young psychopaths wreak on their victims are neither funny nor games. This version lacks the cutting edge tension of the original so disappointed me somewhat.

Welcome to the human race...
The Predator -

Shane Black cooked up a story and Fox dropped it in a meat grinder.

The Minus Man
(1999)

Strange dream like movie about a serial killer (Owen Wilson) who poisons his victims, I found it a quite interesting study of a sociopath whom the director describes as "a cross between Psycho's Norman Bates, Melville's Billy Budd and Being There's Chauncey Gardner". idk who Billy Budd is but I can see the other two. .. Wilson is as benign here as you know him best, if you aren't paying attention you might think you are watching a gentle drama about a kind hearted drifter and that is perhaps what most disarming about this movie.. quite thought provoking but at times silly, by no means perfect but filled with ideas, I'm pleased I watched it.

"Once when I was young... I was laying in the grass, and a spider crawled in my ear... well, he crawled out again. Nobody home"

+

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

15 years after his death, legendary action star Charles Bronson returns from the dea...just kidding! Actually the star of the film is Robert Kovacs, a Hungarian-born actor whose uncanny resemblance to the action legend led him to a film career thanks to indie filmmaker Rene Perez. Bottom line, if you liked or loved the Death Wish franchise, then you will dig this homage to that franchise, even with some OTT blood from the gunshots.

La La Land (2016)

That last scene gets me every time

The Bib-iest of Nickels

The Nun was slightly above-average horror fare. It didn't touch nearly the heights of The Conjuring's main-series, but it was a considerable improvement over Annabelle and a small uptick from Annabelle: Creation. The cinematography, visuals, and choice in music had a lot more of a "vision" to them than what could have been had this been a throwaway cash-in adaptation. That said, the narrative was weak and it did have a reliance on jump-scares throughout (even if I think it had one or two scenes in-particular that were, predictable, but cool). I did a 30-minute Podcast discussion with my fiancee about it, and I will sit-down and write out a fleshed out review, but, right now, I feel comfortable saying it's a 6 outta 10 film.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

- A filmmaker's attempt to disprove the theory of alien abduction leads him to discover more than what he bargains for in the feature film directorial debut of Fulvio Sestito.

- After a two-decade self-imposed exile from his South African shanty town, a man returns and finds his home no longer under apartheid, but something far worse within the walls. Hoping to live a peaceful life, he must face his demons. Good concept, nicely executed, especially the Western-styled finale. Great entry from South Africa.

He's like Gotham 's Penguin there isn't he? I've never seen Spider-Man 3 all the way through but it continues to reveal fresh horrors.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Hell's Angels (1930)
My final movie to watch before making my List for the 30s Countdown and what a HELLUVA movie!
With the sultry Jean Harlowe intoxicating a pair of brothers (and anyone else she encounters) a chunk of this film centers around this. But the REAL film is the aerial combat and the grit of the action as well as some key scenes that made my jaw drop.

Some intriguing filming, such as the night flying was done in a blue monochrome and the party that the three leading characters are at was in color. Which I really did appreciate when viewing this.

And, should anyone be interested:

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

This one seems to only improve with repeated viewings. It's still relevant all these years after it first showed up. The film has much to say about hatred, all of it very much true and very much relevant in today's world. Hatred, in all of its guises, many of which the film explores, only destroys. Nothing good has ever come of hatred. It's consistently driven people to murder, destroyed marriages and families and eaten people alive from the inside... Hatred only creates pain, sadness and even more hatred. The scene that truly defines the film is when Ashi-taka (can't believe the censor goes so far I have to dash his name) says, "This is what hatred looks like! This is what it does when it catches hold of you!" And while I could be wrong, the way the apes and especially the boars speak of committing mass genocide against the humans strikes me as a pretty blatant metaphor for racism. Gonza, Lady Eboshi's right-hand man, also displays egregious xenophobia against Ashi-taka. Apparently, this is just as much of an issue in Japan as it is here in the United States. I was troubled to hear just a few days ago that Koreans are treated very badly there. And what of San, the titular Princess Mononoke? She says she hates all humans even though she herself is human and we often see this in the real world. There are Caucasians who say, "I hate white people," and African-Americans who say, "I hate black people." Why? I'm honestly not sure. Then again, hatred of another human being is something I can't really make heads or tails of. That said, it really shows how talented a filmmaker Miyazaki is that he doesn't show any of the major characters in the film (well, except for probably Jigo) as truly evil. As a movie, it still holds up. Even at 133 minutes (might be the longest animated film out there, anime or otherwise), it never gets bogged down or boring and keeps a brisk pace. The music score is one of Hisaishi's very best. The animation is, as you'd expect from Miyazaki, stunning. With that in mind, the character designs are as good as can be expected. The dub is a really good dub and the cast of live-action stars give it their best. This includes some excellent turns from Crudup as Ashi-taka, Danes as San, Driver as Lady Eboshi, Anderson as Moro, Smith as Toki, Keith David (who also provides the opening narration) as Okkoto and even Thornton is entertaining as Jigo ("I got it. Everything... Is under... Control.") and I'm nowhere near being his biggest fan. So, yeah, it has a lot to say and it's every bit as relevant, if not more so, in today's world.

So, I saw this one a few months back when I rented the 2003 Disney DVD. I bought the Blu-ray from Walmart just two weeks later and ended up watching it mere hours later, which was mere minutes after seeing The Castle of Cagliostro. It was like seeing Spirited Away for the first time. The uptick in video quality was enormous. The colors were (are) even better than the old DVD and the animation was (is) considerably more clear due to the lack of the old DVD's windowbox. The windowbox is actually what made it so difficult for me to become completely immersed in the film that first time around. But the second time around (and every time after), that was no issue. Throw in an excellent DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track and you've got the perfect way to experience Miyazaki's Oscar-winning masterpiece on home video. So, anyways, we've got a treasure trove of likeable characters (excepting Yubaba, though she is entertaining), a great story about facing and eventually overcoming your fears, absolutely gorgeous animation, some great character designs, one of Hisaishi's very best musical scores (Reprise is my favorite track from the film), and a thoroughly fascinating spirit world you could explore for hours. The English dub is a standout even amongst the many excellent dubs we have Disney to thank for, featuring a plethora of great performances. A brief note on that. Daveigh Chase is great as Chihiro. She really brings the character to life and makes her easy to root for. Some have accused her of being obnoxious or doing nothing but screaming, but I can't say I agree. She gives an accurate portrayal of how a 10-year-old would react to the situations Chihiro finds herself in ("I don't want any. We're gonna get in trouble!") and frankly does a lot more gasping and groaning than outright screaming. Fun fact: she also voices Lilo in Lilo and Stitch, one of the films Spirited Away overtook for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. The supporting cast, from Jason Marsden as Haku to Suzanne Pleshette as Yubaba and Zeniba to Lauren Holly (my birthday buddy, which is funny considering I'm actually gonna go see it in the theater on my day) of NCIS fame as Chihiro's mom to Bob Bergen (using the same voice he used for Kai in the Streamline dub of Akira) having a blast as No-Face, also gives a 100% effort in bringing the film to life for an English-language audience and the English dub script is completely natural. All in all, this is a truly great film, one that repays repeated viewings and I can hardly wait to see it back on the big screen where it belongs (won't that be amazing). But for now, I'm gonna go to bed, so later, guys.

Unregistered User

Pleasures Of The Flesh (1965)

Not sure how this only get a 7 on IMDB? Another great film by Oshima.

+

The Party (2017)

Great cast in Spall, Scott Thomas, Ganz and Cillian Murphy amongst others and nicely shot in black and white. Despite having an already short runtime it felt that should have been shorter still.