Star Trek series, which is your favorite?

Tools    

Which series of Star Trek is your favorite?
28.57%
10 votes
The Original Series
45.71%
16 votes
The Next Generation
8.57%
3 votes
Deep Space Nine
5.71%
2 votes
Voyager
0%
0 votes
Enterprise
11.43%
4 votes
Star Trek has never interested me.
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Simple and straight forward question. Which series of Star Trek stands as your favorite or rank them if you will. I've watched almost all the episodes of "Next Generation" and have been getting into "Voyager" and "Enterprise" over the summer.

"Next Generation" is my favorite because I very much enjoy the Picard-centered style of the show and Patrick Stewart is great as the very authoritarian commander. On the other hand "Enterprise" is also great too, seeing where a lot of the ideas originated from. I have enjoyed watching Scott Bakula (sp?) since I was a kid growing up on episodes of "Quantum Leap" and his laissez faire style of leadership is a nice change from the other series. I'm only about 12 episodes in, but so far it's very good, even if a few things could be explained more or have more closure to them. THat' one thing that "Next Generation" did the best of all the series, providing closure and a meaning/lesson to the show's events.

"Deep Space Nine" I've probably seen a dozen or so episodes of over the years and I just cannot get into it much at all.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

TNG, by far. Never cared hardly for DS9.

Voyager was okay. Haven't seen a whole lot of TOS, either, but it's good. Only seen a handful of Enterprise episodes.

But TNG, I love. The characters and stories were always fun.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Yeah, it's TNG. Picard's the best, and while there's plenty of throwaway stuff in it, some of the plot lines (particularly the more serialized stuff) are really, really clever. Like, good enough to base movies around. And of course, they did, and some of them were pretty good, too.

The Borg, in particular, are such perfect villains, both in the way they first encounter them (which is brilliant), in the obvious ways in which they are difficult to fight and scary and all that, and in the cautionary tale they represent for the Federation.

I grew up with the original series so I'm hard pressed to say another one is better than that one, even if they are all better. I even went to see most of the original series movies in the theater. Those were good times.

I think in their own ways they are all quite good but as far as my enjoyment goes, I'll always have a warm fuzzy feeling when watching Kirk, Spock and Bones in their original setting.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Got to go with TNG. Absolutely love that show, probably in my top 5 shows ever. It had my favourite Captain in Picard and also had the loveable Data. Just a great show.

After that it's close between The Original Series and DS9 for second place, followed by Enterprise and finally Voyager.

And yeah got to agree with Yoda about the Borg being just an incredible enemy. Just a shame though that they ended up being defanged rather on Voyager.

Data is one of my favorite characters ever, and Brent Spiner really did an extraordinary job bringing him to, um, life. My other huge favorite is Q, but all those TNG characters are great.

I think he's probably a lot of people's favorites, yeah. When, in Nemesis...

WARNING: "Star Trek: Nemesis" spoilers below
...he died, I told my dad that we hadn't seen that many nerds cry at once since Carrie Fisher got married.

TNG and it's not even close. There again, I don't really care for any of the others, though I've always found the original and DS:9 watchable. But I wouldn't make time to watch them.

I'm really starting to dig the Tripp engineer character from "Enterprise." The character is a good bridge from our present to the sci-fi that we know and love from the rest of "Star Trek."

A system of cells interlinked
Had to go with the original series including the films, as it is just so iconic. I watched the originals growing up in the 70s, and it;s just such a huge part of my childhood. I really, really liked TNG when it first aired, and I still like some of the episodes, but that show is getting REALLY long in the tooth, especially the lighting and sets. That character set rivals the originals though, and I don't think I can say that for any of the other shows.

Re: DS9 - It's an odd duck, and the first season is pretty damn weak. However, it is the most epic of the series once you get a couple seasons in and they ditch some of the characters that didn't work. Watch the last couple of season - I think you will like it.

I also REALLY like the final season of Voyager, which is by far the best final season of any of the shows, IMO. Voyager also has the most compelling Borg stuff once Seven joins the crew.

Enterprise had a fun cast too, but I hated T-pol.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Re: DS9 - It's an odd duck, and the first season is pretty damn weak. However, it is the most epic of the series once you get a couple seasons in and they ditch some of the characters that didn't work. Watch the last couple of season - I think you will like it.
It is an odd duck. In terms of characters and writing I think it certainly has a good shout to be the 'best' of the Trek shows. It also had some of the most intriguing, well-developed characters of any of the shows, people like Gul Dukat and Garak. Oh and I was a big fan of Quark, found him really entertaining.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
DS9 is a great show, it get's more into the personal lives of everybody on the show, that's what I really enjoyed about it. I also think it had some of the best characters some were from TNG, but all the new ones were great and very well written.
Enterprise was great also, but that was pretty much because of Jolene Blalock. Hottest Star Trek character EVER!!!

My brain is a pop culture emporium.
I must admit I'm a Voyager guy now. I grew up with reruns of TOS, new episodes of TNG, but I love the crew interactions on Voyager. Kate Mulgrew's "Janeway" is a main reason. I loved the mother figure struggling with all she had on her plate. Plus she could play one stone cold witch! Another plus is any sceen with a combination of Neelix, Seven, Tuvok & The Doctor. Oh man now thats comedy! But I love them all, even the animated series. But never DS9. That will be my "hell", strapped to a chair forced to watch DS9. lol

I finished the first season of "Enterprise" and am well into the second season. I actually like the character of T'Pol as much as any character in "Star Trek" except for Picard of course. She's a nice stand in for tolerance and learning another culture, that whole thing. She's also smug enough which makes her a more cynical Spock like character, but with a nicer can. Isn't smug an emotion?

Porthos and the captain stuff is kind of cool. I also enjoy the running "movie night" bit. I may have missed a couple but so far they've watched: A Farewell to Arms, Sunset Blvd., Wages of Fear, and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
DSN, but I haven't seen several of these. I loved Data and Q, and while the original is awesome camp, DSN did a great job of making it still fun and a little less campy.

Since this got brought up again, I have been back into watching some Star Trek here and there. I must say, many of the TNG episodes I have revisited haven't played as well as they did back when they first aired. Some of the season two episodes were so bad, I couldn't finish them. Also, I caught a season 6 or 7 episode that was a blatant Anne Rice rip-off, and a poor one at that. TERRIBLE. I mean just downright awful. Troi was a bad character, too. What did she um, do again?

"They are angry, Captain..."

"Really? I noticed, what with the explosions and phaser fire and stuff."

I sure wish Whedon wrote some of those.

Anyway - Picard is definitely the best Captain, but I like Kirk just as much, goofy style and all. That said...I am all about Janeway! She channels Hepburn to the best of her ability, and that's just fine with me.

I have gravitated towards Voyager lately, which also contains some of the worst Trek has to offer, but I feel also some of the best. The Voyager episode "Distant Origin" is written with a level of intelligence and skill that surprised me. I'd call it one of the best Trek scripts of the bunch. Not tricky like "All good things..." and not as groundbreaking as "The City on the Edge of Forever", but great, solid writing and performance. I think it speaks to the core of trek and science fiction in general.

Also Blink of an Eye, The 37s (fun!), Timeless, Scorpion (Borg, Shmorg), Year of Hell, Future's End, Equinox... all top notch Trek episodes....

The comedy is fantastic here, too, with Picardo's Holographic doctor just slaying it left and right. The episode with him and Andy Dick, (!!!) is HILARIOUS.

I like Voyager a lot, and it's my favorite to watch lately. Like DS9, it's at its best when the content is more character driven and human and less "alien of the week". I still don't like Kes much, though...Janeway, Torres, Chakotay, Tuvok, The Doctor... all great. Don;t miss Brad Dourif as Lon Suder too - creepy!

A review I read recently of the entire series had this to say:

"Voyager was so great because it truly put its protagonists into a situation that they could not extricate themselves from. For the first time since the original 1960's series, Star Trek characters truly went where nobody had gone before, discovering new races and acquiring knowledge. And they couldn't call on the federation to save them."

I tend to agree.

It is hard to choose between TNG and DS9, but I ultimately chose the latter because of better storylines and, in part, a more engaging cast.

Troi was a bad character, too. What did she um, do again?

What the hell else did you want her to do? Personally I thought she was both of the best characters on the show.

Something of substance, rather than sit around stating the obvious and infecting the show with her terrible mother character? Pretty much everyone rags on this clown - I am not alone here. Here's the deal, TNG had several middling actors on the show, in Crusher, Riker and Troi. I feel that, on the whole, Voyager has more solid acting across the board. Janeway is clearly good, with Shakespearean training, just like Picard. She isn't better than Pat Stewart, but few actors on Star Trek come close to that guy - he's fantastic. She's damn good though. B'Lanna Torres is also a strong actress. Just watch Faces or Dreadnaught for examples of her range. Ethan Phillips is an accomplished actor and Jen Lien has chops to spare (although i don't particularly care for what they did with her character). Kim and Paris are the weak ones here, although Kim pulls off the everyman just fine. Paris doesn't do much right, and he followed Frake's footsteps as he now sits behind the camera.

Not sure what all the pics are for, I don't really find Sirtis all that attractive, beyond the obvious. If being hot made great characters, T-Pol would be the best Star Trek character of all time...

Also, the Voyager premise is probably the best of the bunch, and the most "Star Trek" at its core.

TOS and TNG are the best, I do concede that, but I really like Voyager too....