Shutter Island

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Before I begin this review, I made a post back in the Upcoming Movies section about this film.

DiCaprio is his new muse, just like DeNiro was back in the day and Depp continues to be for Burton.

As for the trailer, really well done, but it gives me the indication of a twist ending. Having never read the book or knowing anything about the story whatsoever. I get the impression that...

WARNING: "Shutter Island" spoilers below
DiCaprio is patient 67, or something along those lines.

I don't want people to confirm or deny this, I just want to walk into the theatre and hope Scorsese delivers another great flick.

I love how he delves into different genres and this one looks right up my alley.
After seeing the film, I can confirm that my initial thoughts were correct.

Did that spoil the film at all? Not really. Here's my review.

After the disappearance of one of the patients on Shutter Island, two Marshalls are assigned to the case and figure out what's going on. The only problem is that the people working there aren't really helping, and weird things start happening.

Scorsese and my favourite genre? Instant win. The film is so masterfully crafted and well shot that it almost feels too good to be a part of this genre. Yet the script and theme fits perfectly. Yes, I knew the ending when they first showed the trailer ages ago, but that did not spoil the intrigue and suspense this film had. There were even a few surprises added on which was nice.

Dicaprio is again, on his game. He pulls out crazy very well. It's not a spoiler that he goes a little crazy while investigating, it's all over the trailers. Added to the cast of characters if Mark Ruffalo, he does his best as the sidekick, Ben Kingsley and Max Von Sydow as eerie doctors , Elias Koteas in creepy make-up in one scene and a scene stealing Jackie Earle Haley.

The film has it's Kubrick feel here and there, but it's Scorsese's stamp on it. It doesn't reach the heights of his previous efforts, but it's still better than 90% of the stuff that's out there. Scorsese knows this genre well enough to know where to pull the strings. The music is a key part in this and the restriction of jump scares shows that this is a well done film that wants to focus more on it's story, than to scare the audience. That being said, the film is not scary, but it does make you feel uneasy at times. When they go to Ward C, you can't help but feel the hair on your neck stand up as they search the halls.

The twist is obvious, but the unravelling of everything is interesting enough to keep your attention. At times I did question myself, but in the end I knew I was right. Scorsese is able to chip away piece by piece the lead character's sanity to make the film work. Some people may feel cheated, others will like it. I found myself liking it, even if some of it is a bit out there.

Shutter Island is one of the better films you'll probably see this year, it's no masterpiece and it tends to be a the long side of the running time, but it works.

Suspect's Reviews

So many good movies, so little time.
I didn't know anything about the movie heading in and I was totally surprised by the unfolding of events.

The movie reminds me a lot of Vertigo, which I know is high praise. I felt disturbed and unsettled during the whole movie and then I was shocked.

Like I said, I knew almost nothing about the movie heading in. If you can, read as little about it before you see it.

The great thing is I get to see a totally new movie next time I watch it.

I highly recommend it. I think it is one of Scorsese's best.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

saw it last night definitely top notch film, do not have time for a full write up but the movie delivers on all fronts and will only get better with multiple viewings. will write something full after I see it again next week.

Movie Review: Shutter Island (2010)

If you have no idea what kind of film you’ll be watching when you go and see Shutter Island, you’ll be in for a treat. Set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his newly appointed partner Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo) are assigned to investigate the disappearance of a murderess (Emily Mortimer) who escaped from an asylum for the criminally insane on the mysterious Shutter Island. Also starring Ben Kingsley, Max von Sydow, Michelle Williams, Patricia Clarkson, Jackie Earle Haley, Ted Levine and John Carroll Lynch, Director Martin Scorsese should appeal to more than just his fans with his long awaited Thriller-Mystery hybrid.

As we’re introduced to a boat coming through the fog to the tortured chords of the opening music, it’s apparent what the rest of Shutter Island will be like. Academy Award winning Cimentographer Robert Richardson sets the melancholic and somewhat depressing mood, making sure that that this island radiates a bleak and colourless atmosphere for miles around.

I had confidence in all of the actor’s abilities, and I wasn’t let down. Leonardo DiCaprio’s acting gets increasingly better as the film wears on, and Mark Ruffalo was surprisingly good for what he had to do. Mega-versatile Ben Kingsley was unique as Dr. Crawley, Max von Sydow was perfect for the ageing Dr. Naehring, and Ted Levine played intimidating in his fairly brief appearance as the Warden.

To talk about the plot without revealing any major plot points will be a challenge, but I will do my best. When I first looked at the premise, then compared it to the runtime, I wondered how Scorsese would do it. Well, the trailer doesn’t give a whole lot away. Laeta Kalogridis adapts Dennis Lehane’s novel into a great screenplay, one which translated very well onto the screen. The whole of Lehane’s plot was excellent, and anybody who criticises Shutter Island for being predictable has either read the book or has no idea what they are talking about, because the twist comes as a real shock.

Shutter Island is, I suppose, easy viewing, but requires some level of concentration to take everything in and appreciate the bigger picture. The flashbacks to Teddy fighting in World War II may seem rather pointless, as will his dreams about his deceased wife, but they are both pivotal to the puzzle, which comes together in the final 30 minutes. The 108 minutes before that will rush past.

Martin Scorsese, commonly associated with his beloved Gangster genre, has another go at a Horror/Thriller (although Shutter Island falls more into the latter genre), his last attempt being the 1991 remake of Cape Fear. I could see that Scorsese’s inspiration for Shutter Island was definitely Hitchcock. He uses combinations of sweeping and rotating shots, close ups and, along with Cinematographer Robert Richardson, arouses fear in his use of lighting. Shutter Island only offers a few good scares, instead mostly falling into a habit of building up tension and suspense to get the heart racing.

If you’ve read that Shutter Island is slow, then read the opinions of those who think differently to gather a better understanding. Simply because there isn’t the usual Scorsese profanities and violence throughout, it doesn’t mean that it gets boring in parts. It seems like a lot of time is taken to establish the premise, character relationships, settings and the mood, but all of this is highly interesting as things start to get turned on their heads.

If you are crazy for Scorsese, there is no guarantee that Shutter Island will be your cup of tea, since it’s really an opportunity for him to try a different look. Said look is that of a very well-rounded, complex, multi-layered and rather dim piece of cinema. For many, the best part will be when everything clicks in the brain, but the ending may leave some points to be cleared up and more explanation to be desired, but it’s all about the interpretation.

The more I hear, the less I like. As I've said in its Upcoming thread, I'll see it because it's Scorsese and Di Caprio, but I'm not at all confident. I've got that "If I think it's ok I'll consider myself lucky" feeling about it.

At last I can read the reviews! I've just finished the book so had to wait. Good reviewS US & Sam. I'll be seeing it soon, if only to compare book and film.

"THIS MOVIE SUCKED!" my brother said. So naturally I asked, "Then why do you insist on watching the Lifetime Network anyway, why not come see Shutter Island with me instead?" After all, it had to be better than "Mother May I Sleep With Danger?" So I raided my piggy bank for the funds required to obtain our theater necessities (sodas and chocolate covered almonds) and off we went.

As it turns out, he hated this movie, too. Then again he thought Legion was a great movie and watches Child's Play daily, thereby rendering his opinion as impotent as I am. I think I'll leave him on the couch from now on, waiting for Sally Struthers to make her comeback. I fear she may.

The trailers had looked promising, as had the one review I read about it, whereby the reviewer had given it an "A" and said that it was the first movie he'd seen in a long time where you don't know the whole deal until the final sentence is spoken. I'll give him that much.

The movie starts out on a ferry when the weather is dark and dreary, and that mood never changes, which I found appropriate since they were headed to investigate an asylum for the criminally insane, although I prefer the term socially awkward. Imagine, it wouldn't seem right if the weather was all sunshine and lollipops, now would it? The asylum is on an island whose access, and exit, can only be obtained by ferry. My red-flag-waving hand was already getting itchy.

I can't in good conscience say a whole lot about this movie, as it is one of those that would totally suck if the twist were given away. But here's what I CAN tell you: I really, really, really enjoy a good egg and cheese omelet.

Teddy (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) are two federal agents sent to an island to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a patient. She seemingly walked through the walls of her cell and slipped past everybody. Her door was locked from the outside because you know, it's rare that they give the criminally insane the option of locking their doors from the inside. The agents' investigation leads them into the darkest depths of the asylum, and the human mind, including Teddy's own. He is tormented by the death of his wife, whose murderer is also in the asylum somewhere, and Teddy also happens to be a recovering alcoholic and a chain smoker. What I'm getting at here is that Teddy has several flaws that I don't suffer from, so in a way, this movie is MY "Feel Good Movie of the Year".

Their guns are taken from them before they are allowed to enter the asylum. At this point I jumped up and waved a big red flag, but apparently these hoity-toity movie stars don't heed the warnings of the common and/or manic moviegoer, and they went in anyway. They are shown Ward A, the one for men; Ward B, the one for women; Ward C, the one reserved for the most violent offenders; and finally Ward D, which may contain either a hilariously huge high chair, OR a brand new living room set.

The movie is filled with twists and turns, discoveries that make you rethink your previous deductions, and lots of shady characters. Like I said, I don't wanna say much more for fear of giving anything away.

On a scale of 1-5, I'm gonna give this movie a 3.5, partly because I'm not sure how I felt about the ending.

Some unsolicited advice for Hollywood: first, don't name your agents Chuck and Teddy. Everyone knows that those are two of the least threatening names around! Chuck Norris would be the exception, and they couldn't send him to the island because we all know that there could be only one outcome: the asylum would surrender and turn into a merry-go-round.

Second, don't use Leonardo DiCaprio as your tough guy. I ain't buying it and they shouldn't be selling it. He still has a baby face no matter his age, so save it for any upcoming Look Who's Talking sequels.

Third, put some better prizes in Ward D. Yes, we would all like to own a huge high chair but... a living room set?

Written by
The Infamous Mr. Wilson

I just saw this movie and thought it was a really mind-blowing pychololgical thriller. Yeah, the ending is....

WARNING: "Shutter Island" spoilers below
a little alienating; but only if you like Leo Decaprio, or are a sap for the tradtional "happily ever after". The dream sequences are crazy! But in a good way and the massive narative retardation makes way for awesome predictions.

I was so sure that "Chuck" wasn't real, and it the end, he kinda wasn't.

I would definately reccomend you watch it!!

I got your review, but what did you think of it overall?

I know a little about the film. Leonardo DiCaprio is the hero. And the story line is quite ok.

TAM
I've watched it. anddddd liked it a lot. games of mind.

Revenge is a meal best served cold.
I saw this the other week and was a little disappointed. I was hoping for more. It got a little dry with all the flash backs and 'visions'. Sad to say, even a little predictable. I enjoyed Dicaprio's performance, but...meh. Probably won't watch it again.

This is one of the best movie from Quentin Tarantino.I liked it and recommend it for all