I Hate My Hit!

Tools    

I Hate My Hit! 10 Songs Disowned By the People That Made Them Famous

"Nobody made you go around wearing UFO pants and sucking a pacifier after you got smart enough to drop those duds. But despite the pop star high life, musicians don't have the luxury to abandon ship. Fans don't care if a star is misunderstood, or past that particular phase. The audience pays, so the musician plays. Here's how some handled it."

1. Beastie Boys- Fight for Your Right to Party (I actually still love this song but I can see how the band has grown up and it would seem immature and weird to keep doing it at shows.)
2. R.E.M.-Shiny Happy People (I don't blame R.E.M. this song sucks eggs)
3. Radiohead-Creep
4. Booby McFerrin- Don't Worry Be Happy
5. Robert Plant-Stairway to Heaven
6. Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit
7. Sinead O'Connor- Nothing Compares 2 U (the story behind this one pissed me off. This song written by Prince made her an instant success and she spits on him and calls him an F'n midget? GRRRR)
France Gall- 'Les Sucettes'
9. Madonna- Like a Virgin (I can see how a 50+ year old woman wouldn't want to sing this one anymore.)
10. Tom Petty- Don't Do Me Like That

What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree? Read the article for why the artists want to disown the songs. What songs would you disown if you were the artist?

You want to post like me?
Creep and Smells Like Teen Spirit are brilliant. Don't really care about the rest. I think it just goes to prove that even the artist can get sick of their own horrible pop (like a virgin).

See, I don't think Creep sounds anything like the rest of Radiohead's material. It was just the big radio hit that made them popular--like Cake's The Distance.

7. Sinead O'Connor- Nothing Compares 2 U (the story behind this one pissed me off. This song written by Prince made her an instant success and she spits on him and calls him an F'n midget? GRRRR)
To be fair, Prince is a f'n midget. Also, while that song made her a global success, she had already had a top 20 single in the UK, though that was a few years earlier.

See, I don't think Creep sounds anything like the rest of Radiohead's material.
I agree, that's why is good.

The only song that comes to mind that fits is The Doors "Light My Fire", though that was Jim who didn't want to sing that anymore, not the whole group. But, by '68/'69 he did hate it, hated performing it and hated the audience for wanting it.

To be fair, Prince is a f'n midget. Also, while that song made her a global success, she had already had a top 20 single in the UK, though that was a few years earlier.
Sinead has a reputation for being her own worst publicity-she lacks professionalism and restraint.
I'm glad she has disappeared from our charts-a one trick pony with a nasty attitude.

Yep, I didn't like her either but she's not a one trick pony, unless you consider being able to sing well her one trick. In that case, you'd be absolutely right, but you'd have to say the same about an whole lot of people and, tbh, that'd mean she had one trick more than a lot of todays performers.

I did find it funny seeing all those people getting in a tizzy when she ripped up the picture of the Pope though. Relax! It's a picture. It's not like she punched him in the nose or anything.

Except for "Fight for Your Right to Party" (which I can't stand) and "Les Sucettes" (which I don't think I've ever even heard of), I quite like all of these songs.

I must say though that this is the first I've heard of Petty not liking "Don't Do Me Like That." I love that song. 'Course I love pretty much everything the man has ever done, with him being my favorite musician and all.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hmm, no chance of Radiohead playing Creep when I see them on Saturday, then...

To be honest, I'll be happy if they play any of their old stuff at all. I don't hold out much hope for more than one track of the 2nd and 3rd albums and if they play anything off Pablo Honey at all I may faint.

I can understand it annoying people if when people go to see them all they want is the one big hit and then walk off. But to disown a successful and well written track which made you famous completely is a bit...odd. Especially if your fans still like it. It's like telling your fans they have no taste which is kind of shooting yourself in the foot/biting the hand that feeds you/other appropriate idiom.

Employee of the Month
95% Agreement. The only exception is Don`t worry be happy which is a cool song with some true lyrics. But like all the other songs on your list, I have heard it much too often.

I did find it funny seeing all those people getting in a tizzy when she ripped up the picture of the Pope though. Relax! It's a picture. It's not like she punched him in the nose or anything.
One trick pony in the States then.

You don't go on Saturday Night live with some lame agenda and rip up pictures of people. That's a little too heavy for Comedy Night!

Welcome to the human race...
About the only example I can think of off the top of my head is Rain by The Cult. Sourced from Wikipedia:

Despite the songs popularity, after performing it live in November 1989 at Wembley, singer Ian Astbury said "So you like that one?" and after the audience cheered, Astbury responded by saying "Personally, I hate it!". This can be heard on bootleg live audio and video recordings of the concert.