Books You Have Read More Than Once

Tools    

I realized too that with some of the books I read more than once, I find myself skipping to certain parts--or rushing through the chapters to get to "the part".
Especially the intense 'romantic' bits...

Of Mice and Men
The Call of the Wild
Uncle Tom's Cabin
The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second

Except for the last one, all of these are from childhood/teens. I almost never read a book even once anymore. I'd rather watch movies.

Jeeze, I regularly reread classic mysteries, particularly Hammett, the best of the breed. I reread Twain alot, especially Huck Finn, which is the fundamental all-American novel. Hemingway, too. Several histories and biographies, mostly keyed to the American Revolution or the Civil War. And World War II--I've reread Ernie Pyle's books several times: gawd, he could write!!! Oh, Shakespeare, of course--one hell of a writer himself.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here are a few:

Where the Wild Things Are

The Cat in the Hat
Green Eggs and Ham
Chato's Kitchen
The Pearl (Steinbeck)
Kidnapped (R. L. Stevenson)
One Hundred Years of Solitude (Marquez)
The Maltese Falcon
The Exorcist
In Cold Blood
Great Expectations
A Tale of Two Cities
A Christmas Carol
Oliver Twist
The Holy Bible (KJV)

Green Eggs and Ham. Duh. I've read that a thousand times.

Books I read a couple times as a youngin'
The Giving Tree
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Anne of Green Gables
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Oliver Twist
Charlotte's Web
Ramona The Brave

I could go on forever here...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Thursday Next--I LOVE your list. Clan of the Cave Bear was sooooo exciting when I was a young girl. I have also read Interview with a Vampire three times. (I think it's the sex appeal)
I would not like to look too closely into how many of the books I re-read were because of the sex appeal... suffice it to say that this was all before I had the internet...

Originally Posted by Zedlen
Do teenagers read anything other then books about wizards and vampires these days ?
I think vampires and wizards appeal to kids in general, it's not just Potter and Twilight. They weren't around when I was a teen but I used to love Tamora Pierce's books, especially her Alanna series and Wild Magic. And Obernewtyn has to be the book I have read more than any other, ten times at least. And Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit of course. The Little Vampire series, Vlad the Drac (more for younger children), Anne Rice's vampire chronicles...

This thread reminds me that I really need to get working on my top 100 books list. I've only got 89 so far that I really love so I either need to read some more books or compile a list of eleven books that I quite liked to make up the numbers...

Making a difference
I hardly hv patience with books, cause at a point I want to fast forward it but just can't do that. I dunno if its a bad thing say but I really don't read books, trying to cultivate a reading habit though. The last international novel I read wld be Oliver Twist and I read it more than twice

Green Eggs and Ham. Duh. I've read that a thousand times.

Books I read a couple times as a youngin'
The Giving Tree
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Anne of Green Gables
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Oliver Twist
Charlotte's Web
Ramona The Brave

I could go on forever here...
Do you read the original Peter Pan or the Disney version? Seems people tend more to read Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland than the original version of Peter Pan. If you're speaking of books read in your pre-teen years, it's more likely to be the Disney versions of both. Of course, you could be the exception. I'm just speaking generally.

Great thread. The book I've probably read the most times is Wuthering Heights. I've got an old orange Penguin edition my mum bought when she was young and I read that. I love that book.

Here's some I've read several times over the years, probably lots more but can't think at the mo

Wild Swans - Jung Chang
Oliver Twist - Dickens
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Stand - King
Dracula - Bram Stoker
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Thomas Hardy's books - Far from the Madding Crowd, Tess of the d'Urbevilles, Jude the Obscure, The Return of the Native.

the I. Robot collection of stories - Isaac Azimov
A Suitable Boy - Vickram Seth
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Cry The Beloved Country - Alan Paton
The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
Treasure Island - R.L. Stevenson
The French Lieutenants Woman - John Fowles
Her Benny - Hocking

I've read C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia books when I was little and also read them to both kids when they were young, that goes for the Green Knowe books by Lucy Boston too.

Quite literally everything ever written by Kurt Vonnegut. Some of them as many as four or five times. And a whole bunch from other authors, including this highlight sampling...

CATCH-22, Joseph Heller

GRENDEL, John Gardner

THE MUSIC OF CHANCE, Paul Auster

READER'S BLOCK, David Markson

A HISTORY OF THE WORLD in 10½ CHAPTERS, Julian Barnes

POP. 1280, Jim Thompson

CIVILWARLAND IN BAD DECLINE, George Saunders

DADDY'S BOY, Chris & Bob Elliott

And many other favorites, but I'll stop there for now.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Twain)
The Name of the Rose (Eco)
American Psycho (Easton Ellis)
Less Than Zero (Easton Ellis)
Glamorama (Easton Ellis)
1984 (Orwell)
Fight Club (Palahniuk)
The Complete Tales (Poe)
Ars Rhetorica (Aristotle)
Reading in the Dark (Deane)
Bright Lights, Big city (McInerney)

Not really a book, but a short story:
Bartleby, The Scrivener (Melville)

I think I've read at least twice everything written by Arthur Conan Doyle, Dashiell Hammett, Edgar Allen Poe, Raymond Chandler, Agatha Christe, James Cain, Mickey Spillane, Ian Fleming, John MacDonald, Ross MacDonald, Ernie Pyle, James Fenmore Cooper, Jack London, Nevil Schute, William Shakespeare, and Mark Twain.

I've also read and reread an awful lot of the books by John le Carre, Dorothy Sayers, Graham Greene, G.K. Chesterton, Joseph Wambaugh, Ed McBain also writing under Evan Hunter, Ernest Gant, John Steinbeck, and Ernest Hemingway. I've also read Gone With the Wind more than once.