The Movies

Tools    

I have seen a few members talking about this game lately and Blib said he was thinking of making a thread for it. so I decided too. who has the game here I just got it two days ago and Im loving it. So far I made one bad cheesy Sci- Fi flick if anyone wants to watch it go here
http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/38935

Anyone else wanna post there movies I wanna see what some Mofos have created

there's a frog in my snake oil
Blimey - kinda like a red-toned, all-in-wrestling Flash Gordon, with added knicker-shots .

I pondered buying the game, but i thought the recorded-animation for the characters might be too limiting/annoying. What are the camera possibilities like? Can you do long, complex panning shots and stuff?

In the Beginning...
Yeah, I've been wondering about the software capability myself. I've watched quite a few of the user submitted films, and it seems like there are mostly pre-rendered shots that you just string together. Is that true, or do you have a little more freedom?

Some of the films actually have pretty good editing.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The more you play the game the more money you make and the more credibility your studio has, which in the end will let you be able to build your own script office.

Here you can make your own movies. Now, I'm not too far into the game. My studio is still ranked last in the rankings, but that's beside the point. In this office, you can pick the settings, one you've only unlocked and there are pre-rendered shots in which you can pick from. They range from bank robberies to Zombie shooting.

You can't make it look exactly like you want, but the pre-rendered positions have a variety to choose from, which makes for fun entertainment.

You can choose from establishing shots, close-ups, etc, etc.

I love the game!!!

Suspect's Reviews

It might be alright as a game, i've hardly played it, but for making movies it's not very good so don't bother.
You could maybe make something half decent if you edited it a lot but it doesn't give you that much freedom, you just have to work with the scenes they give you.

Yeah, i was afraid of that. The character animation maybe you could work around, but if there's not much control over the camerawork it must be pretty frustrating (if you want to mimic a more 'genuine' directing experience etc)

The only thing you can do on it is edit the scenes but you can't direct ANYTHING just choose the scenes and choose the costumes.

You can choose the costumes? Well that changes everything...

Thats the problem alot of people where expecting this to be a movie making tool when its really just a game. but a damn good one at that and movie making is only half the game. If you in anyway like games like rolle rcoaster tycoon or sim city its like that but with a movie studio and with alittle bit of The Sims mixed it when it comes to taking care of your stars. I have a feeling i will be playing this for a long time

Welcome to the human race...
So far am only through 1932. I have officially got sound.

To be honest, this game isn't mine. I thought it would be cool to run a studio but then I realised how much of a pain in the ass it really is.

I should've stuck with 3D Movie Maker.

In the Beginning...
I read that you can play the game if you want, but you can also bypass all the BS (having to keep up your studio, manage the eccentric personalities of your actors, etc), and just make the films. Is that right? Are there two different modes (game mode/movie-maker mode, or something)?

Well there's the main game, where you must manage the studio from 1920 onwards and deal with all the moviemaking pressures. Alternatively, there is a "sandbox" mode where you can switch off all the hassles of the main game (e.g. staff on strike and buildings falling down) and just make the movies without having to worry about anything except the movies. Of course, the sandbox mode is limited by how far you are in the real game.

Well by limited, I mean you can only start off within a certain chronological distance of your real-game progress. e.g if like me you are stuck in 1930, you can only go for 1930, 1940, 1950 and 1960.

But what Suspect said is true. There's a lot less hassle.

Randomly visiting for now
Yeah it did look pretty interesting but I never really got into the sims so I assumed it wasn't for me. Plus I suspected there would be limitations with camera work (as mentioned in this thread) and hassles about specifics of directing and shot development. I may try to borrow it from somebody at some point and give it a try but I'm not rushing out to grab it.

I just wanted to post my newest movie i made. which is pretty much of a rip off of evil dead. My monsters have all white eyes like deadites. its about friends going into a cabin in the woods and attacked by evil. I have a camera chase scene and even the Join Us. well here it is
http://movies.lionhead.com/movie/42621

Female assassin extraordinaire.
taxi driver, that first movie cracked me up.

usualsuspect, i spent the whole movie lookin for the cactus part, and when it got there - eheehe, it was worth it.

taxi, second movie has a fun/great setup - don't be mad, some notes: the peeps complain there's no alky and then our hero tosses a molotov cocktail at the cemetery dogs. where'd he get that from? and in his struggle with the other dude, he stands him off with a gun, they wrestle and the gun's gone - and then he returns to the house after the cemetery scene even though the enemy's inside. or was he supposed to have killed everybody somewhere in there?

I installed the game and spent FOREVER making a PERFECT replica of Jake Gyllenhaal, only to have my game bluescreen my computer, so i uninstalled it. all that work on Jake ... sigh. I was gonna make him a star

yea i know my movie had alot of problems but i was just trying to make it a crazy fun movie like the Evil dead movies. Like if you watch Evil Dead 2 I bet you didn't question his capability to attach a chainsaw to his hand and in Army of darkness after ash escapes that little execution chamber thing he all of a sudden has his gun and there is no explanation where it was and how he got it in his hand So I figured no body would question my molotov part (plus i needed a quick way to get rid of those damn dogs) and the reason the gun isnt there when the guy chokes him is because its just a game and I couldnt make it perfect. well i probobly could of but Im still learning.
anyway I need ideas of my next hollywood movie to rip off. I mean to be inspired. because its more fun to me making versions hollywood movies in the game than making something original