Kubrick dvds?

Tools    

how come almost every dvd a find of a kubrick film are always really bad. they have almost no special features at all. are there speciel editions out there that i cant find. these bad dvds have held me back from buying alot of movies like the shining, full metal jacket ect. because im afraid of better editions coming out soon. can someone help me

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
how come almost every dvd a find of a kubrick film are always really bad. they have almost no special features at all. are there speciel editions out there that i cant find. these bad dvds have held me back from buying alot of movies like the shining, full metal jacket ect. because im afraid of better editions coming out soon. can someone help me
The criterion version of Spartacus has all the extras typical of any Criterion release. There's deleted scenes, behind the scenes footage, a documentary, commentaries, sketches, storyboards etc.

There is a limited edition collector's set of 2001: A Space Odyssey that features a 70mm film frame, a commemorative booklet and a supposedly top notch transfer. The set is 2 discs.

A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket also has a limited edition collector's set that is identical in extras as 2001 and both are 2 disc sets.

There is a 40th anniversary 2 disc special edition set of Dr Strangelove: or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. The set has lots of extras including documentaries, interviews and featurettes.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Maybe one day we'll get a complete Kubrick box set, without snapper cases!!!

I believe he likes to frustrate people...I just finished watching 2001...I can only assume, by the ending in that film, that he is letting us interpret its meaning...GOD, that makes me frustrated!

Not sure which films (other than 2001), but I do know that some Kubrick films are getting 2-disc Special Editions later this year from Warner. So I'm going to assume they're going to be good.

Oh, and from what I heard, the new HD-DVD version of Full Metal Jacket (should be out by now) has the same special features as the DVD (so...a trailer, that's it), but is in OAR (so not 1.33:1).

I'm not sure if the 2-disc SE's will follow suit though....

A system of cells interlinked
Why are some of Kubrick’s films not available "letterboxed" on home video?

Kubrick had total control over the aspect ratios (ratio of the width of a film image to its height) of his films, in their theatrical release and on home video. He liked to experiment, and he liked to question conventions regarding aspect ratios, so it’s no surprise that there is no real consistency regarding the home video versions of his films.

Spartacus and 2001: A Space Odyssey were the only films he shot using a "widescreen" format (Super Technirama on Spartacus and Super Panavision on 2001), so those would be the only two really hurt by not being letterboxed (both are available on video and DVD letterboxed to approximately their proper aspect ratios).

A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon were shot and released in most theaters in the matted 1.66 : 1 widescreen ratio, and The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut were shot open-matted (or full-frame) and framed for a theatrical release in the American standard ratio of 1.85 : 1.

However, Kubrick preferred on all these films that they be transferred to home video fullscreen (a ratio of about 1.37 : 1). Had he remained alive to see the rising popularity of widescreen and high-definition TVs, he may have eventually changed his mind about these films.

Originally Posted by Don Fishies
Not sure which films (other than 2001), but I do know that some Kubrick films are getting 2-disc Special Editions later this year from Warner. So I'm going to assume they're going to be good.

Oh, and from what I heard, the new HD-DVD version of Full Metal Jacket (should be out by now) has the same special features as the DVD (so...a trailer, that's it), but is in OAR (so not 1.33:1).

I'm not sure if the 2-disc SE's will follow suit though....
Special Editions coming out soon would make sense...all of Kubrick's films had a massive price reduction at the local HMV's...that usually indicates SE's

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Yeah, 2001, Lolita and maybe a couple of others are coming out soon - this year, I think. If not this year, then next year. We've all ready seen the first SE, which was Dr. Strangelove from 2005.