The Fourth Kind

Tools    

"Fact-based thriller involving an ongoing unsolved mystery in Alaska, where one town has seen an extraordinary number of unexplained disappearances during the past 40 years and there are accusations of a federal cover up."

I saw the previews for this recently. I think it looks pretty good-a mix of real footage/interview tapes

Seems like it could be lumped in with "Communion"
"Close Encounters" "Fire in the Sky" and the "Mothman Prophesies"

Milla Jovovich is the main character. Watch the preview on the offical site--looks super creepy!
http://www.thefourthkind.net/

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
So is this a documentary or a real fictive movie? Or is it a little bit of both?

Greeetz
Spikezer

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

Looks like a little bit of both. It looks like it goes back and forth between the movie portraying a true story and actual footage of real events.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Yeah. Saw trailer in comic book shop yesterday, scared the living crap out of me.

Definitely interesting, the trailer annoyed me though.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The movie stars Milla Jovovich, Will Patton, Elias Koteas and is directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi, based on his screenplay.

Here's how Universal Pictures describes The Fourth Kind:

In 1972, a scale of measurement was established for alien encounters. When a UFO is sighted, it is called an encounter of the first kind. When evidence is collected, it is known as an encounter of the second kind. When contact is made with extraterrestrials, it is the third kind. The next level, abduction, is the fourth kind. This encounter has been the most difficult to document ... until now.

Structured unlike any film before it, The Fourth Kind is a provocative thriller set in modern-day Nome, Alaska, where—mysteriously since the 1960s—a disproportionate number of the population has been reported missing every year. Despite multiple FBI investigations of the region, the truth has never been discovered.

Here in this remote region, psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler (Milla Jovovich) began videotaping sessions with traumatized patients and unwittingly discovered some of the most disturbing evidence of alien abduction ever documented.

Using never-before-seen archival footage that is integrated into the film, The Fourth Kind exposes the terrified revelations of multiple witnesses. Their accounts of being visited by alien figures all share disturbingly identical details, the validity of which is investigated throughout the film.

markf
This is The Blair Witch Project of anal probe movies.
Just a note: Blair Witch was a spin off of Cannibal Holocaust (1980) which is a total POS. Blair Witch is much better.

They should do a Close Encounters Of The Fifth Kind. Raped by an alien!
Maybe I'll type that one up.

Know that, this film most likely contains no real footage and no connection to any real story.

The entire thing is all promotional (remember War Of The Worlds, Orson Welles). This was done with Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch, Men In Black.

“Listen to me: Television (film) is not the truth! Television (film) is a God-damned amusement park! Television (film) is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business!” - Howard Beale

and don't take any wooden nickels.

Employee of the Month
Pal? Why do you have to write like this? Don`t get me wrong, you seem to be clever, make good points and stuff (even while you dislike 5th Element though)... but that is really annoying! It´s the counterpart of yelling all the time! You know?

I cant wait for this, it looks very tense and interesting.

This looks interesting.... but when I watched the trailer, I kept hearing Arnuld in the back of my head saying...

If it bleeds, we can kill it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'm kind of worn out on the "is it real?" movie genre. I kind of feel like it's a gimmick to revolve the movie on the debate of it's authenticity, and not so much on the script or direction.

...uh the post is up there...

I saw it in theatres, it was pretty good. It was definitely a more serious role for Milla Jovovich, not just because there was close to 0% humor in it, but in all the movies I've seen her in, somehow magically there's a seen where she isn't wearing a top, this movie you don't see anything.
I thought the direction was really good, they mixed the actual footage with acting footage, usually by placing it next to each other. The story (although I haven't actually researched it so I'm just going off of the depiction of the movie and from what I know about aliens) was kinda intense,*spoiler* the fact that they never find the daughter was freaky. I understand that the mother in real life turned out to be in some sort of mental hospital, but man, the actual woman looked bad in the interviews after the fact. Regardless of what happened, that woman seems like she went through hell.