The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Disney morality)

Tools    

Okay, I know I stated that I was irritated by the excessive marketing of this film, but I'd like to share my views. So Quazimodo, the resident freak of France is introduced to Ezmerelda, a lively gypsy, for which he carries a flame for. This movie is a great example of morals in Disney movies being undermined by the plot.

The ending specifically, basically Quazi loses Ezmerelda, but is finally accepted by the public which was fearful and repulsed by him, only after his heroics does this occur. This is often believed to be his true victory, really? So between having a beautiful, caring woman, instead you find acceptance with a shallow populace? Through the whole movie, and many other Disney films, the point is made that it's good to be separate from a society that otherwise doesn't care about you, yet gaining their conditional acceptance is to be the best victory one can aspire to? Perhaps I'm thinking too deeply into this, or not. What's your thoughts?

...uh the post is up there...

Hmmm...
Are you saying that this particular theme runs through several Disney films? Wasn't Beauty and the Beast a touch different? Belle tried to convince the people he was a loving, kind Beast but they were pretty whipped up to kill him.
What were the other ones you were thinking of?

A few years back, Disney was caught paying sweatshop wages to workers in Haiti. Right about the time this film came out. Just to mention Disney's morals.

Disney's Hell In Haiti

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/294.html

.12 cents an hour. That's what Disney thinks human beings are worth.

Hmmm...
Are you saying that this particular theme runs through several Disney films? Wasn't Beauty and the Beast a touch different? Belle tried to convince the people he was a loving, kind Beast but they were pretty whipped up to kill him.
True B&B was slightly different, but it also contradicts it's own moral; stating that appearance doesn't matter, yet placing such importance on it throughout the film. After all, the Beast's greatest reward is to return to normal. As far as other films, I can't remember specifically off-hand, but I'm sure there are some others.

You want to post like me?
Hm. Somehow I have a feeling Tim Burton is gonna make a Quizimodo movie, with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter...

... Wierd.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I am of the opinion that conditional acceptance is all you can expect from most people, that beautiful women are generally the reserve of powerful men and that Disney adjusts the endings of classics so that people can leave the theatre feeling good about themselves.

Here is the link to the Sparks note summary if you want to find out how Victor Hugo intended the story to end.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/hunchback/summary.html

Semper Fooey
I like the Charles Laughton movie ending the best. He has his face pressed against those stone garagoyles and says, Why couldn't I have been made of stone like you?" Then makes a face just like them as the camera pulls back.

Hmmm...
Belle learns to appreciate Beast's development of more tender feelings and kindness, but they don't go kissy-face until after Beast transforms back to a golden-haired prince with a castle and estate.

A few years back, Disney was caught paying sweatshop wages to workers in Haiti. Right about the time this film came out. Just to mention Disney's morals.

Disney's Hell In Haiti

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/294.html

.12 cents an hour. That's what Disney thinks human beings are worth.
Exploitation of workers by Disney is nothing new. When Disney animators tried to organize back in the 40s, Walt himself went before the House committee on unAmerican activities and denounced the union organizers as communists.

Okay, I know I stated that I was irritated by the excessive marketing of this film, but I'd like to share my views. So Quazimodo, the resident freak of France is introduced to Ezmerelda, a lively gypsy, for which he carries a flame for. This movie is a great example of morals in Disney movies being undermined by the plot.

The ending specifically, basically Quazi loses Ezmerelda, but is finally accepted by the public which was fearful and repulsed by him, only after his heroics does this occur. This is often believed to be his true victory, really? So between having a beautiful, caring woman, instead you find acceptance with a shallow populace? Through the whole movie, and many other Disney films, the point is made that it's good to be separate from a society that otherwise doesn't care about you, yet gaining their conditional acceptance is to be the best victory one can aspire to? Perhaps I'm thinking too deeply into this, or not. What's your thoughts?
Wanna see a hideous Quasimodo, check out Lon Chaney in the silent film role. It's been years since I saw that movie and even longer since I read that book, but doesn't the bell-ringer die in the end? I keep picturing him being stabbed, possibly fatally, before killing the villian.

are we talking about the animated disney film? i remember watching this when i was a kid and never thought that the movie was more than just the beautiful animation and interesting story. now i realize how good the story really was.. and the soundtrack's good as well. i had it in cassette tape.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Disney isn't really all that bad. They don't actually control the world because that would just be too obvious and not go along with most conspiracy theories. Now, Wal-Mart....

He died in the Chaney movie.
That's what I thought. Does anyone recall if that matches his fate in the book?

Yep, Quasimodo dies in the book.

As for the OP's argument, it's just stupid. First of all, they don't get together in the book anyway. It's a tragic Gothic novel. Secondly, it would be unbelievable and contrived. He gets the platonic love of Esmerelda and acceptance.

Belle learns to appreciate Beast's development of more tender feelings and kindness, but they don't go kissy-face until after Beast transforms back to a golden-haired prince with a castle and estate.
Well think about it, would Disney promote bestiality? Remember in Mermaid they don't kiss until she's human too.
Which is why one of my High School teachers was completely against those two movies.

Well think about it, would Disney promote bestiality? Remember in Mermaid they don't kiss until she's human too.
Which is why one of my High School teachers was completely against those two movies.
On the other hand, in Beauty and the Beast, there's the cross-species episode of the candlestick kissing the feather duster.

On the other hand, in Beauty and the Beast, there's the cross-species episode of the candlestick kissing the feather duster.
But that duster was a slut and everyone knows it.

I actually like this film over other Disney films. To me, Quasimodo being the main character and yet not getting the girl in the end is a step out of the Disney cliche. While it opens the whole 'being accepted by soiety thing' FilmFreak brought up, it is at least a tad different. And with the acceptance thing, I always felt it was more of an achievement of Quasi now gaining the confidence to go out in the world, meet other people, and live life rather than just be socially accepted.

Then again, I may just be looking past some actual flaws because I generally like this film. The music, I thought, was Disney's best, and I find the rather mature themes rather fascinating. It also holds some nostalgic quality for me, being the first film I truly paid attention to as a kid - instead of just watching the pretty images, I remember being truly moved by the music and emotions in the film.

But that duster was a slut and everyone knows it.
Didn't keep the candlestick from being hot for her, however!