Best Sam Mendes Movie

Tools    

His Movies
American Beauty (1999)
Road To Perdition (2002)
Jarhead (2005)

I Know Most People Are Gonna Say American Beauty, But I Think His Best So Far Was Jarhead.

I've only seen American Beauty, but it is one of my favorite films.

Don't really think all that much of any of the three so far.

American Beauty, B-
Jarhead, C
The Road to Perdition, C-

My review for Jarhead can be found HERE. I've seen it a couple times since that first viewing in the theater, and if anything I think my C+ was a little too generous. That flick still disappoints me.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I really liked American Beauty and Road to Perdition, although the kid did my **** in. I didn't like Jarhead... Revolutionary road is out in December(ish) which im hoping (fingers crossed) will be a stomper.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Holden is just too damned literate and TVerate. I don't read much of anything new, and I rarely watch cable TV except to watch movies, so I grade his films all higher.

American Beauty - B+
Road to Perdition - B
Jarhead - B (I actually thought more of this one on repeated viewing... )

Jarhead is an excellent story, although I have to admit, not an excellent movie. Does that make sense?

I personally think that Road To Perdition is his best film. I don't rate American Beauty high at all.

You're a Genius all the time
Well, I'm no big fan, either. I do think the guy's gotten consistently better as he's gone along, though, so maybe this new Revolutionary Road flick will rock my socks off. Here's how I'd rank and grade his stuff so far...

American Beauty, C-
Road to Perdition, C+
Jarhead, B-

I've never read the Swofford memoir that Jarhead is based on, but I do like the movie. Maybe if I read the book, I'd have a different opinion on this, but, unlike HP, I'm kinda glad they fazed out Gylenhaal's voice-over in the second half of the flick. I find the bits after basic training and whatnot to be infinitely more compelling.

You're a Genius all the time
Well, I'm no big fan, either. I do think the guy's gotten consistently better as he's gone along, though, so maybe this new Revolutionary Road flick will rock my socks off. Here's how I'd rank and grade his stuff so far...

American Beauty, C-
Road to Perdition, C+
Jarhead, B-
Hey guess what, myself from a few months ago? Revolutionary Road reallly did rock my socks off! So that means the trend of Mendes movies getting progressively better continues and by that logic he will have made the best film in the history of the universe within the next decade or so. I can not wait.

I think I was too harsh on Perdition, by the by, and I'd actually give it a fairer B-. In popcorn terms, my ratings for his films are probably...

American Beauty

Road to Perdition

Jarhead

Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road. It has to be. It has Kate Winslet in it. Currently though, Road to Perdition.

I haven't seen Jarhead and don't really plan too... I think his other three films are the bee knees though.

American Beauty

Road To Perdition

Revolutionary Road

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Umm... I didn't even realize the possibility that there were people out there who didn't like American Beauty. I can understand it not being in your faves, but just flat out not liking it? Mind boggling.
Jarhead was better than I was expecting it to be, but it's definitely the lowest on the Sam Mendes meter.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Revolutionary Road

American Beauty (A very high)

American Beauty (3/5)
Road to Perdition (3.5/5)
Jarhead (2.5/5)

I'm not his biggest fan, but his films are still worth a viewing.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've not seen Jarhead, but as for the other two:

Road to Perdition B-

American Beauty A-

I really like American Beauty a lot. If it weren't for how much Annette Bening grated on my nerves, I'd take away the minus.

Maybe not quite the right place for this, however as it'll reserect an old thread, I'll go ahead with it.

'Skyfall' Sam Mendes '75%' convinced to direct next James Bond film
Sam Mendes is close to signing on to direct the next James Bond film, a report has claimed.

According to the Daily Mail, Mendes was initially reluctant to return despite the success of Skyfall, because screenwriter John Logan had planned to write a two-part story that would have required a huge time commitment.

But now that Bond 24 will be a standalone film, Mendes is reportedly "75%" of the way towards confirming a return.

The report also states that producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson have seen a blueprint for the next Bond film, which will see Daniel Craig returning as Bond alongside Ralph Fiennes as M, Naomie Harris as Miss Moneypenny and Ben Whishaw as Q.

Skyfall was named 'Best British Film' at the BAFTA Awards last weekend, and was also honoured for Thomas Newman's original score.

It recently became the tenth-highest grossing film of all time.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...bond-film.html

I enjoyed American Beauty, though it's a bit too stagey. Road to Perdition is underrated, great movie. I didn't much care for Jarhead. Also, I really enjoyed Revolutionary Road.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!