The Prestige's Prestigious films to immerse you

→ in
Tools    

You're twisting it and you're coming across as silly for doing so. I get that you are gay. I do get it. But purposefully misconstruing my text does nothing for your argument.

I said that reading the film as a 'gay love story' is superficial. Flippin' heck, man.

I don't think I'm a sensitive homosexual (yes, I read the post before you edited), just a sensible human being and as such I can tell a love story from a tale of friendship. There's no argument to make, Brokeback mountain is gay cinema, whether you like it or not...:\

I don't think I'm a sensitive homosexual (yes, I read the post before you edited), just a sensible human being and as such I can tell a love story from a tale of friendship. There's no argument to make, Brokeback mountain is gay cinema, whether you like it or not...:\
The reason I edited that bit was because I thought you would have taken that offensively even though it wasn't intended to be. I was trying to take your feelings into account despite the fact that you're looking for a fight. You have your opinions and I have mine, mate. Lets just keep it at that, yeah?

66. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)

Released simultaneously with Saving Private Ryan , Terrence Malick's beautifully rendered film subtly encompasses both the harsh nature of war with poetic images of natural environments. It's vintage Malick. I hope i'm not the only one who disliked this film at first.

I just wasn't prepared for how slow and how thought provoking it would be. I hadn't watched a Malick film prior to watching this film, and I think I was expecting Saving Private Ryan 2 or something. But unlike that overrated film, Malick is more concerned wait truthfulness, and he does not sugarcoat anything at all.

Yes, the film sometimes portrays the soldiers as anti-heroic, but so what? Does every war film have to be patriotic? Some soldiers were cowardly, ruthless, selfish and human. The Thin Red Line acknowledges that. And it does a damn good job of it an all.

65. Eden Lake (James Watkins, 2008)

I thought long and hard about including this one at such a high spot, specially considering i've only seen it like a week ago and just the one time, too. But it had such a profound impact on me that I couldn't help myself. In fact, most of the films screened at the 'Fright Fest' had an impact on me. Even the silly ones. But that's for another thread.

This film was disturbing to say the least. It's such a highly intelligent yet vicious little film that I am almost certain that i'd react the exact same way as I did the first time round. I don't want to go into too much detail as the less you know about the film the better.

But it's about a couple who go on a small little holiday in the lakes and are confronted by a gang of youths...that is all i'm saying. Just watch the film. I still can't get it out of my head. Great and intelligent debut by Mr Watkins who I also briefly met at the festival.

64. Edward Scissorhands (Tim Burton, 1990)

When it comes to Burton's CV, this film is often highly regarded. Why? Because it's a beautifully crafted fairy tale of a peculiar human being (?) and his unpeculiar girlfriend. What's most remarkable about this film is Burton's attemps to show the titular character's interactions with the real world around him. These scenes are the most fascinating in the film and really helps the spectator feel and care for Edward.

C'mon, who didn't cry when Depp's lonely soul replies to Winona's plea to hold her with a sombre 'I can't'? I have to say that this is my favourite of the Depp/Burton collaborations - and the most touching. Beautiful film that I might even have to place higher in the future.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm liking your list, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I thought I'd comment on something concerning Ang Lee. I think a person could pretty well write up a specific thesis on how Lee sees the hopelessness of love in all its forms.

Ang Lee has a tendency to make films about "forbidden love". He already made the Academy Award-nominated The Wedding Banquet which is also about homosexuality. If anything, the thing which separates Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from most "kung fu" movies is that it's about forbidden love. Maybe all the love in the film isn't forbidden but the true love story in the film, the one between Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat is completely unfulfilled, at least physically. The younger couple ARE able to comsummate their love, but it's for such a fleeting time that it should help to persuade one that Lee has a hard time in believing that love can last. Therefore, his using gay lovers in Brokeback Mountain makes total sense. I won't tell you that he did it for some "metaphorical" reason though because if you're dealing with gay love in the U.S. amongst "macho men" during a certain time period, you don't really need any metaphors. It's all right out in the open, based on historical context, how it's pretty well-doomed.

There is no metaphor for the film. There just isn’t. It’s about gay love. Adidasss sums it up perfectly in the above posts.

I've not seen Brokeback but am willing to give Prestige the benefit of the doubt that there could be more to it than just homosexual relationships, kinda like Lost in Translation.

Interesting to see Eden Lake, only just saw the poster for it at the cinema on Weds. I've been tempted to put Layer Cake on mine as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, I never once thought about Lost in Translation while I was watching Brokeback Mountain, other than the fact that I thought Lost in Translation was a lot more boring. At least, if I ever actually thought that during Lee's flick.

I've not seen Brokeback but am willing to give Prestige the benefit of the doubt that there could be more to it than just homosexual relationships, kinda like Lost in Translation.
Well you're a homophobe so your denial would be perfectly understandable.

OMG Pyro is a homophobe

Welcome to the human race...
Dude. Looking past the obvious gay themes of a film in search of any other themes and ideas present does not equal denying they're there. If anything, just thinking of Brokeback Mountain as "just a gay movie" seems to be a very blinkered look at it. You seem just as bad as the people who write this film off as nothing but "a gay movie" by trying to pigeonhole it as such.

Well said Iro. But you forget Adi can't see other people's viewpoints if they're different to his.

I don't know why Prestige is being hassled, surely the beauty of film is two people can see the same film in two different ways.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
There are people that I know that will not watch the film as it's a "Homosexual film" that means nothing to me, its a great film. I tottally agree with Iro's points.

Dude. Looking past the obvious gay themes of a film in search of any other themes and ideas present does not equal denying they're there. If anything, just thinking of Brokeback Mountain as "just a gay movie" seems to be a very blinkered look at it. You seem just as bad as the people who write this film off as nothing but "a gay movie" by trying to pigeonhole it as such.
I was pointing out that it's not a film about male friendship which is something anyone should be able to see clearly. One of the central themes of this film is homophobia and its impact on the lives of these two men. Not sure how you could explain that by looking at it as a film about male companionship. It's a film with a specific theme and a very clear, anti-homophobic message which is why I take umbrage when someone completely misses the point and tries to sell it as something it's not.

But hey, if that gets Pyro here to watch it, be my guest, call it a horror film about knitting. I'd still be willing to bet he'd flinch at some "tenderness" exchanged between these two "buds"...

Yes, thanks for second guessing me once again, shows how well you think you know me. Two of the 'gay' films i've seen- Mysterious Skin and Bad Education- are actually on my Top Movies List.