The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

What a delightful film...unless you really start to dissect the films central metaphor then it becomes one of Pahak's choices. This is the story of a young girl who at 13 must go out and discover her witch powers, get a job, a home and a man. Obviously the film has a strong puberty theme running within the film and some of the symbolic aspects of the story were uncomfortable.

By stripping Kiki of any sexual characteristics Miyazaki goes about telling his story with as much innocence and whimsy one can have...about a guy who trades in cats, fights a giant phallus type being and covers every stage of womanhood possible. It manages to be charming and the message is good, dated but good but also...c'mon

I don't want to say I hated it...I wouldn't mind if it won, but man when you think about this film critically and what Miyazaki is going for...it's his most uncomfortable story.

With that said...the plot moves along very well, it's designs are top notch, the character work is great it feels like a fresh story even though the metaphorical female puberty story has been done to death this is better than Alice in Wonderland.

What a delightful film...unless you really start to dissect the films central metaphor then it becomes one of Pahak's choices.
Does your dissection include a nice amount of shots showing Kiki's panties and Jiji's assumption that Ursula wants Kiki to pose nude

...This is the story of a young girl who at 13 must go out and discover her witch powers, get a job, a home and a man. Obviously the film has a strong puberty theme running within the film and some of the symbolic aspects of the story were uncomfortable.

...about a guy who trades in cats, fights a giant phallus type being and covers every stage of womanhood possible. It manages to be charming and the message is good, dated but good but also...c'mon

I don't want to say I hated it...I wouldn't mind if it won, but man when you think about this film critically and what Miyazaki is going for...it's his most uncomfortable story...
What the heck are you talking about?

13 year old Kiki didn't go out to 'find a man', she left her parent's home to become a witch.

'Giant phallus type being', are you sure we both watched the same movie? I didn't see anything that was intentionally like that.

'Symbolic aspects that you found uncomfortable'? You're going to have to connect the dots for me as sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Does your dissection include a nice amount of shots showing Kiki's panties and Jiji's assumption that Ursula wants Kiki to pose nude
What the heck?

Fantasizing about a fantasy animated film?

What a delightful film...unless you really start to dissect the films central metaphor then it becomes one of Pahak's choices. This is the story of a young girl who at 13 must go out and discover her witch powers, get a job, a home and a man. Obviously the film has a strong puberty theme running within the film and some of the symbolic aspects of the story were uncomfortable.

By stripping Kiki of any sexual characteristics Miyazaki goes about telling his story with as much innocence and whimsy one can have...about a guy who trades in cats, fights a giant phallus type being and covers every stage of womanhood possible. It manages to be charming and the message is good, dated but good but also...c'mon

I don't want to say I hated it...I wouldn't mind if it won, but man when you think about this film critically and what Miyazaki is going for...it's his most uncomfortable story.

With that said...the plot moves along very well, it's designs are top notch, the character work is great it feels like a fresh story even though the metaphorical female puberty story has been done to death this is better than Alice in Wonderland.
Oh god, no, you got it all wrong

Uh can we not joke about that

What the heck are you talking about?

13 year old Kiki didn't go out to 'find a man', she left her parent's home to become a witch.

'Giant phallus type being', are you sure we both watched the same movie? I didn't see anything that was intentionally like that.

'Symbolic aspects that you found uncomfortable'? You're going to have to connect the dots for me as sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Yeah and some movies end with hundreds of men holding down a giant erect balloon where only the girl discovering herself can fix.

This movie is 100% about puberty and a female sexual awakening...I'd say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover however.

Yeah and some movies end with hundreds of men holding down a giant erect balloon where only the girl discovering herself can fix.

This movie is 100% about puberty and a female sexual awakening...I'd say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover however.

That is NOT what it’s about, either on the surface or subtextually. I’m sure My Neighbor Totoro is about a lesbian incestual relationship too

Popcorn tells her father who, in turn, writes a movie about it....

Not sure about everyone but I am a fan of fantasy and folklore including fairy tales. Has anyone heard of the Aarne-Thompson-Uther index?

Classification Index for stories.

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/a...ication_system

Wow talk about Fantasy..you all have a great imagination....not!

You don't see any symbolism in the story....not the roll in the hay....

The buns in the oven......

Or well um....yeah

And yes the upskirt shots...were um...constant

You don't see any symbolism in the story....not the roll in the hay....

The buns in the oven......

Or well um....yeah

And yes the upskirt shots...were um...constant

Sorry no...

Seriously, though, I do somewhat agree with @Siddon. Maybe he sees too much symbolism in the film, but the sexual awakening of a pubescent girl is definitely there as a theme. I'm just a little confused about the tone of the discussion as, to me, it seems to imply that quite a few of you think there's something inherently wrong with sexuality in coming of age stories.