Let's Talk about Movie Musicals

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My favorite film musical is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, with the great Howard Keel. I like the dancing of Gene Kelly, particularly in Brigadoon. And a favorite song from a musical is There Were Bells from The Music Man. My favorite overall musical score is from Grease. I loved the music from Xanadu but not the movie.

I love all four musicals you mentioned, especially The Music Man. It's one of my all-time favorite musicals. My favorite song from The Music Man is "Marian the Librarian".

It's nice to see some love for Brigadoon. It's one of my favorite Gene Kelly movies.

Some great choices here. I haven't seen Labyrinth, (I didn't even know it's a musical.), but I love all five of the other movies you listed.

I became a big fan of Rex Harrison after seeing him in My Fair Lady.

Do you have any favorite songs from any of these movies?

It depends on which one, and the music. From all I've seen, my top 5 would be:

1. Singin' in the Rain
2. Across the Universe
3. The Phantom of the Opera
4. Sweeney Todd
5. Chicago

Some great movies listed here.

I'm not a big fan of The Beatles, (I like them, but I don't love them as much as most people do), but I thought Across the Universe was a very good movie.

I saw Phantom of the Opera and Sweeney Todd on Broadway, and I thought they did a great job going from stage to screen with those movies. (Les Misérables was another movie that was almost as good on screen as it was on stage.) I would have preferred someone with a better voice as The Phantom, but I'm not sure that anyone could replace Michael Crawford.

Some great choices here. I haven't seen Labyrinth, (I didn't even know it's a musical.), but I love all five of the other movies you listed.

I became a big fan of Rex Harrison after seeing him in My Fair Lady.

Do you have any favorite songs from any of these movies?
'Edelweiss' , 'Grease is the Word' & 'Those Magic Changes'

Labyrinth is a classic kids movie by none other than Jim Henson & George Lucas, a must see if musicals are your thing.

The trick is not minding
I’ve tried to watch more musicals as they become available, and I’ve stumbled across plenty of great ones. Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, The Music Man, Sweeney Todd, Chicago, West Side Story and so on.
Gigi is now available on Netflix so I aim to watch that this month.

I am big fan of Fred Astaire's films (Swingtime is still my all-time favourite musical) but i also like others such as Rocky Horror Picture Show, All That Jazz, Singin' In The Rain, We'll Meet Again, Grease and The Good Companions.

The only good musical is a dead one!
Oh wait, I might be getting musicals and vermin mixed up.
As you were.

It's wonderful to see another musical lover around here...I was one of the few around here for a long time...some of my favorite musicals:

MARY POPPINS
CABARET
WEST SIDE STORY
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
GREASE
EASTER PARADE
IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER
A STAR IS BORN (1954)
FUNNY GIRL
MY FAIR LADY
GREASE
DREAMGIRLS
NEW YORK NEW YORK
THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY
TOP HAT
SWING TIME
BYE BYE BIRDIE
THE MUSIC MAN
OKLAHOMA!
THE KING AND I
CAROUSEL
THE PAJAMA GAME
RENT
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
GODSPELL
A STAR IS BORN (1976)
SINGIN IN THE RAIN

Yeah, just checked and I was indeed getting those two mixed up. I still think Sweet Charity is probably my fav musical overall.

I am big fan of Fred Astaire's films (Swingtime is still my all-time favourite musical)...
Me too, especially when Ginger Rogers is in them
I’ll second that, even though I’ve only seen Top Hat, I loved that movie!

I haven’t seen too many musicals, but I’ve liked most of the ones I’ve seen, so you can count me as a fan. It’s between Singin in the Rain or La La Land for an all time favorite, My Fair Lady is fantastic as well.

I haven’t seen too many musicals, but I’ve liked most of the ones I’ve seen, so you can count me as a fan. It’s between Singin in the Rain or La La Land for an all time favorite, My Fair Lady is fantastic as well.
Swing Time was nominated in the Musical Live Action Hof Generally it was well liked and it's my favorite Astaire Rogers film...(Top Hat is great too)

Just for fun here's the rankings from that HoF
1 West Side Story (1961)
2 1776 (1972)p
3 Mary Poppins (1964)
4 Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)
5 Meet Me In St Louis (1944)
6 Swing Time (1936)
6 The Pajama Game (1957)
7 Godspell (1973)
8 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

Swing Time was nominated in the Musical Live Action Hof Generally it was well liked and it's my favorite Astaire Rogers film...(Top Hat is great too)

Just for fun here's the rankings from that HoF
1 West Side Story (1961)
2 1776 (1972)p
3 Mary Poppins (1964)
4 Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)
5 Meet Me In St Louis (1944)
6 Swing Time (1936)
6 The Pajama Game (1957)
7 Godspell (1973)
8 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
I saw West Side Story, Mary Poppins, St Louis, and Chitty Chitty bang bang a while ago, but don’t really remember enough to make judgements. I’ve never even heard of 1776, but it did well, I’ll have to check it out.

1776 is the type of musical that divided members opinions on it in the HoF. It's really quite different and well worth watching, I didn't love it, then I tend to like musicals with pretty girls

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think one of the problems with why musicals do not do as well with today's audiences, is a lot of times the songs are not that good. I watched Grease for example, and I found the music just isn't as good, compared to bands in the 70s that would actually release their own albums and go on tour. They just seem to have more talent than the people doing the music in the movies for a lot of movies.

Or look at a musical like Earth Girls Are Easy. I love 80s music, but for this movie, it's as if the filmmakers said, let's intentionally, create some of the worst 80s songs possible, cause that's what this musical is about. Unless I'm wrong?

However, I still like some that are fan such as Singing in the Rain, West Side Story, Across the Universe, Chicago, etc.

Me too, especially when Ginger Rogers is in them
Agreed, those two were a perfect pairing. I am a fan of Ginger Rogers too, especially films like Kitty Foyle, Monkey Business and Black Widow.

Both Top Hat and Swing Time were the first two I saw. I got a book called 1,001 movies to see before I die and these films are in it. I wasn't expecting much when I sat and watched them but after the Fancy Free number in Top Hat (the first one I watched) I was a fan, lol.

The truth is in here
I majorly disagree on Grease. That one has some of the best and catchiest songs I've heard in a musical. Just the opening theme alone is incredible.

I saw Holiday Inn last weekend and would like to nominate that one as another classic musical. It's one of the funniest as well. Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire make for a great comedic duo.

I haven't seen many musicals made in recent years. But I do like the John Carney films 'Once' and 'Sing Street'.