Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Apologies to everyone for not posting frequently as I used to. Things have been changing and I'm at a crossroads, been trying to get away from the internet in general because who really needs it aside from maybe finding a Job or paying your bills. But I just couldn't pass up talking about this one film I saw the other day...

You all know I'm not very good with my wording when I try my best to summarize my thoughts on a piece of spectacular or even bad cinema (my mentioning of that word alone, ugh… it's enough to trigger my OCD and send me into a frenzy *backspace backspace backspace*). And I know what I'm going to say next is going to sound incredibly cliche, but Martin Scorsese's newest and probably last Gangster outing (almost an Unforgiven-esc eulogy for the genre) is probably the most profound and impactful picture of the year.

You go through about 30 years of one man's life, a horrible man who's committed horrible things, and despite being 3 hours and 30 minutes of unremorseful violence and death, it goes by like a breeze which a lot of that you can chalk up to Scorsese's perfect direction (that old slugger just never quits being awesome) that brings absolute life to a desolate somber tale (with of course, thanks to that sharp script, which never has a single scene that feels pointless). It also helps that the film's lead, an aged Robert De Niro digitally de-aged to look younger, astounded and exceeded my expectations by giving probably his best performance since Taxi Driver. But it's during the film's last hour where it turns into a somber, meditative, almost poetic piece that delivers the humanity of it's real life crime characters stripped down and head-on. I don't want to spoil much, but I honestly felt like I was going to throw up, it got that tense. And what it all amounts to... is nothing. Not even living your life like a schmuck. Just loneliness, cold loneliness. It's sad, but maybe that's fine. How else was this going to end up?

It's a hell of a thing killing a man, and it's not easy being a gangster either. This isn't "Goodfellas", this is a tragedy. The Irishman is an absolute must-see, and I don't use that term lightly.

Wow...I honestly could not have said it any better than this. I don't even think I could have said this at all. Thank you for capturing the Irishman in such a poignant and accurate way. I too loved every second of this film.

EDIT: Now I wish you posted more often... :P

Agree, 5/5 from me.

Luc Besson, 2014

Luc Besson, author of one of my favorite movies of all time, Leon, brings us an failed attempt to make something elaborate. With Scarlett Johansson that tried to show us a blank character, stripped of urges, an emotional wall, super evolved human being, but it just showed vanity, displaying her super powers around. Bring Morgan Freeman to be a narrator, to get a certain intelligence to the point they were trying to make. The point? What it would be like if the human brain reached maximum capacity, they concluded it would be like having a satori. It's great to see Min-sik Choi in this, made it bearable, having a fine actor in the movie. A miss cast of the main actress, or, I'm trying to make this film more than it should be.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1922) by Fritz Lang
+

Lonesome Cowboys (1968) by Paul Morrissey and Andy Warhol

Les soeurs Brontë (1979) by André Téchiné

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut (2019) by Francis Ford Coppola

“I was cured, all right!”

Multiple watches. Against communism, against humans, against our nature.
★★★★★
Probably one of the most depressing and pessimistic movie I've ever seen.
Some images will be with me for the future to come.
This is, in my view, the real horror movie, because it's a possibility.

Multiple watches. Against communism, against humans, against our nature.
★★★★★
Probably one of the most depressing and pessimistic movie I've ever seen.
Some images will be with me for the future to come.
This is, in my view, the real horror movie, because it's a possibility.
That looks incredible. Thanks. Not seen any of his.

Welcome to the human race...
Despite what Ultraviolence says, it's actually good.

The Florida Project -

still one of the biggest Oscar snubs of the decade

Breach (2007)

Directed by Billy Ray, and starring Chris Cooper, Ryan Phillippe, and Laura Linney, this biographical double-agent spy thriller gets most of its oomph from the tension created by a young wannabe FBI agent who is tasked with getting incriminating evidence against his boss-- a veteran G-man who has been selling secrets to the Soviet Union.

This comparatively low budget project, although well received, suffers from the lack of a strong co-lead to work against the venerable Chris Cooper. Phillippe is a medium weight actor who plays the young agent not entirely convincingly. The problem is compounded by the story focusing too much attention on Phillippe's character.

Although liberties are taken with the details of the actual case, Cooper is able to carry the load. The story of real life double agent Robert Hanssen is interesting enough. My guess is that a screen play which focused on different aspects of the story would have produced a finer film.

So it's a very watchable film which would have benefitted from a heftier co-lead.

Doc's rating: 6/10

3 from hell (2019)

Being a curious type I thought I'd have a go at this having seen the Devil's Rejects some time ago. Camp, flat and dull. Not in good ways.

Don't see The House of 1000 Corpses than, they say it's for refine taste, most people dislike it, some tend to like it after a while. The Devil Reject's is my favorite. The 3 From Hell seemed a little bit pushing the saga.

“I was cured, all right!”
I have a peculiar relationship with Rob Zombie's work, I don't think his movies are good, but for some reason I appreciate his efforts and always see myself watching his new releases. Honestly, I think the Halloween remake was okay, and Halloween II was a good idea (not well executed), the guy at least tried to bring something different.

I'm seeing his podcast on Joe Rogan's for the second time, not because I deeply enjoy his word, but because his interesting. I like his attitude and that he is a movie fan, has seen a lot of different movies, has a great knowledge, seems very passionate about it, very old school type of movie geek, listens to a lot of different music's as well. I discovered him very recently cinematographic speaking, I knew his band, I didn't knew he made movies as well. I haven't seen enough movies of the genera to even have an constructive opinion, but I liked one of his movies, and I fond the last one entertaining, but I think he shouldn't have done it if that was the end he had planing.The Halloween's were something it was brought to him, he didn't had that freedom.

I have a peculiar relationship with Rob Zombie's work, I don't think his movies are good, but for some reason I appreciate his efforts and always see myself watching his new releases. Honestly, I think the Halloween remake was okay, and Halloween II was a good idea (not well executed), the guy at least tried to bring something different.
Yeah, know what you mean, like the equivalent of supporting an indie band when you know Phil Collins is far better ha ha ha!!!!!

Excellent movie.

Judex (1963, Georges Franju)

Georges Franju's lovely tribute to Louis Feuillade, 'Judex' boasts a whole array of elements harking back to silent cinema aesthetic and the spy detective genre, sprinkled with a dash of adventure and mystery. Masks and unmaskings, femme fatales, rooftop fights, conjuring tricks, an enigmatic Fantomas-like (though far less superheroic) main protagonist - this movie is definitely a fun ride! Loved the black and white cinematography (the Criterion blu looks great), and Maurice Jarre's score is just perfect in adding to the mysterious, dreamy atmosphere.

Overall, not without its flaws but I simply couldn't resist its quirky charm. Thumbs up!

The trick is not minding

Man, this film is all over the place. If you’ve ever seen a Bunuel film, you’ll understand what I mean.
Still, the dream within dreams and constant spectre of death Permeates this film. It’s actually really good. Won’t go into it much as it’s without a doubt one of those films you must see for yourself!

4 *’s