The Thread Where Interested Parties Discuss MMA

Tools    

I remember Tank Abbott. It's weird how I sort of floated away from the sport after being very into it in its early days.

Pres touched on a bit of what I was getting at in my question. It seems to me a guy like Lesnar is bad for the sport. Especially if they ever want to become a major legitamate sports league and end up on ESPN. If they don't nip crap like Lesnar pulled in the bud they're in danger of ending up on Versus or USA next to WWE types of shows forever.

It is a sign of the times though. Poor sportsmanship and selfish ******** seem to be everywhere in sports these days so I could very well be wrong. I wish I wasn't but I probably am.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
I wasn't comparing Tank to Lesnar in apples to apples skill. I'm saying that Tank had a similar effect on the UFC at the time he was fighting as Lesnar is having now.

Were you a fan way back when?
Ah fair enough, I see what you mean. No I wasn't a fan back during the days of Royce and Tank but I have got hold of some of the older UFC events and watched them, not such a big fan of the bare knuckle street brawl kind of fights though.

I've been a fan from around UFC 50 and was quite into Pride as well.

To your point, my favorite MMA bouts are the ones that play out like chess matches. Tamdan McCrory vs. Dustin Hazelett in UFC 91 was one of the best matches, I think, to illustrate what the sport is all about. That match was one fluid submission attempt after another until Hazelett finally got a crazy reverse arm bar.
Yeah, I actually hadn't seen that fight until you posted it (Never got to watch 91), but I just saw it and it was a solid fight. Reminded me of the Nate Diaz/Joe Stevenson fight which I also felt looked like a human chess match.

I'm not a big fan of Macida but then again I've not seen a lot of his fights, from his last two though it's obvious he's a very smart fighter and isn't just a decision machine. Like Joe Rogan says, the point of fights is to win without receiving too much punishment and I think in that sense Machida is the perfect fighter. I do find myself rooting against him a lot though but that's because LHW is stacked full of fighters I love, like his upcoming opponent Shogun (who I do think he will defeat). Yesterday 05:15 PM

Yeah, he has been finishing fights lately, he used to frustrate me and at one point I thought he lacked quite a lot of power because he'd rock a lot of his previous opponents but not be able to finish them despite hitting them with everything he had. But obviously he is develloping more power and somehow put away Rashad.

Shogun and Rashad have the best chance at defeating Machida at LHW right now. Shogun is almost as well rounded as Machida and not overly aggressive as he used to be during his Pride days. It's an interesting match up and I think it'll answer a lot of questions about both men. If Shogun is comes with a full tank then he will pose problems for Machida on the ground as I think his BJJ might be slightly better.

Rashad just chose the wrong game plan. THis was a fight where he should have used his wrestling and clinch skills. I honestly think it could be a different result next time they meet.

Wow Josh Barnett what a prick, he's pretty much single handidly brought down the one promotion which had the potential to challenge UFC in the States. I read he won't be fined or banned as well because he wasn't under license with NSAC at the time. As good a fighter as he is, the guy shouldn't be allowed in a ring/cage again, this is his 3rd negative test in his career.

I'm really pissed off, that Affliction card was stacked full of fights and fighters I wanted to see like Fedor, Vitor Belfort, Gegard, Babalu. Damn it!!!

Exactly, downthesun.

It leaves Fedor in an interesting position though. If he doesn't pick UFC this time I'm going to have my doubts as to whether or not he's ducking it.

Exactly, downthesun.

It leaves Fedor in an interesting position though. If he doesn't pick UFC this time I'm going to have my doubts as to whether or not he's ducking it.
I've always speculated on whether or not Fedor was ducking the UFC. I mean, why not test yourself on the biggest stage of them all and remove all doubt.

But yeah, i'm with you downthesun. Affliction had quite a bit going for it and still can't believe Bartnett would mess up like that.

I don't see why he'd want to duck the UFC though, although I think Brock will prove to be a serious challenge for him. I think he'll destroy the current UFC HW division, can't see anyone other than Brock really giving him trouble. He's already been through 4 former UFC champions in Randleman, Coleman, Arlovski and Sylvia and beat Big Nog 3 times.

I really think the reason he doesn't want to join the UFC is because he doesn't want to work under Dana White. It will offer him huge pay checks, worldwide exposure (especially to the casual MMA fan) and if he gets through the HW division will proove once and for all he is the best at his weight class.

Is anyone else as excited as I am about the upcoming Strikeforce event? Some great fights on that card. I'm a bit disappointed that Carano v Cyborg is the main event but then again, anyone who's into women's MMA has been wanting to see this fight since these two started fighting.

I hope they find a decent replacement for Joe Riggs, Hieron has been talked about but I think Nick Diaz will get past him, in fact I think any of the reported replacements will be easy fights for Diaz.

4 belts being defended in one night is so sick. Melendez is one of my favourite fighters so I'll be rooting for him against Josh Thompson but again this will be a very close fight. The highlight of the card for me personally is no doubt the newly added LHW title fight between Sobral and Gegard, it was one of the fights I was really looking forward to on the Affliction card so I'm glad we still get to see it.

I remember seeing UFC 1-15, and then came back to it years later when The Ultimate Fighter blew up MMA to the mainstream. no matter how much money they spent on public image, bribes, venues or whatever it was a reality show that put them and the MMA sport entire over the top.

Poor PRIDE. I never saw it but from their production they were ahead of UFC. Seriously UFC needs a makeover they look exactly like they did 10-15 years ago.

Forrest Griffin Vs Anderson Silva. I love Forrest. Hes unpretentious, cool, tougher than nails, and too stupid to pass on a fight. I believed Forrest would beat Shogun, and he did. I believed Forrest could beat Quinton Jackson, and he did. Andersons gonna kill him. Damn Forrest wtf are you gonna do?! He cant outstrike Andy (who could?), and Andys ground game is actually deeper than his stand-up game vs Forrest. Forrest is gonna lose, but if he wins he'll be the next Randy Couture. Ive always felt it will be a wrestler that beats Anderson Silva.

Ive got a bunch of MMA pics Ive posted elsewhere. Surprisingly theyre hard to find....

BJ Penn mortalized by GSP

Anderson "The Spider" Silva

Mirko CroCop

Tongo, I used to have that AS picture as my wallpaper, love it.

I think Forest v Silva will be a good fight, Silva's stand up is superior to Forest's but apparently Forest has sick jits from what I've heard. I still do think AS will take this fight though and will probably get Jackson or Rashad or Shogun next. Am I right in saying he doesn't want to fight Machida because they are friends?

Also, Nick Diaz v Hieron has been added to the Strikeforce card, I think this card is better than the majority of the cards that the UFC has done. It has like 5 main events on it. Although, where do they go from here? The next event will be too soon for these fighters to fight again, perhaps a HW title fight?

By the by, speaking of Fedor reminded me of my favorite Fedor fight.

Check out the flying suplay by Randleman at 1:44 and then Fedor's survival of it and subsequent kimura:

I dunno if the UFC will actual come to an agreement with those twats at M1. Finkelstein is causing so much trouble with this whole co-promotion crap, even Aleks (Fedor's brother) came out and said M1 is messing things up for Fedor and that he doesn't like Finkelstein.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Toose, I'm assuming that you'll be watching UFC 101, any predictions?

Seeing as I've only seen two PPV's, previously, I can't really make any educated guesses.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Penn Vs Florian - (Penn)

Silva Vs Griffin - (Griffin) though I doubt that's the popular view.

My favorite matchup on this card is Neer vs Pellegrino. That's either going to be a war or an ultra fast KO. I'm going to have to go with Neer just because he's tougher and probably all around nastier in the octagon.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I'm hoping this fight will be better than 100. The potential was there for it to be a great fight, but overall, it was hardly exciting.

[quote=Sir Toose;553236]Penn Vs Florian - (Penn)

Silva Vs Griffin - (Griffin) though I doubt that's the popular view.

[quote]

Oh man, I hope you are right about the last one. I'm starting to feel like Silva needs to be humbled nowadays..

Plus I want Griffin to be able to have done what nobody else could do so people would stop saying he's an overrated and weak fighter.

Penn vs Florian is quite hard for me to predict..I mean, how is Penn going to be mentally going into the fighter after the savage beating he took from GSP earlier this year? GSP might have broke him mentally. Florian seems real focused and he has more than a punchers chance in this fight if he can clinch with Penn.

I'm hoping this fight will be better than 100. The potential was there for it to be a great fight, but overall, it was hardly exciting.
What!?

I thought 100 was great.

St Pierre proved without a doubt that technique and skill wins over power.

Henderson scored one of the most beautiful KO's I've ever seen.

Lesnar proved that he has skill as well as the ability to formulate and stick to a game plan that plays to his own strengths.

UFC 100 was faboo!