Vanilla Sky

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well, got shafted tonight. First time ever from the movie theater I always rely on. You know what Hoyts Cinema 14 of Manassas "EAT MY ******* ****!!!!"

Oh well, Saw Shallow Hal, not too bad. But I feel empty having not seen Vanilla Sky again.

Hey, how do you use spoiler tags so I can talk about Vanilla Sky?

Like this (curly braces in place of brackets):

{spoilers=Movie Name}The butler did it.{/spoilers}

Oh, and as much as it ticks you off, I don't blame them for enforcing the restrictions...they're getting cracked down on heavily, I imagine, and until we have a more advanced rating system in place, it's the only way they can reasonably do things.

Guy...

WARNING: "vanilla sky" spoilers below

I don't remember any shots where tha Cameron Diaz character's face was scarred. Do you mean in the photos the Kurt Russell character showed him? That was after he tied her up and beat her, asking what had happened to Sofia.

Basically everything up to the point where David Aames falls asleep drunk in the street, the night he met them at the club and fears Sofia and Brian (Jason Lee) have met together romantically, everything up to that point is "real", it happened. Everything that happens after that point in the timeline is false, it only happened in his dreams.

In his dream scenarios yes, he is being held for murdering Sofia, who he kept confusing with Julie Gianni. But no, he didn't really kill either one of them. Julie died in the car accident, and he never saw Sofia again after the club.

David's face was really scarred in the accident. In his dream worlds it is sometimes repaired, sometimes not, but in "reality" what happened is he went home and became increasingly depressed, eventually comitting suicide by taking pills. Before he killed himself he hired the cryonics company. His body was found in time to freeze him, place him in a state of suspended animation. His face is still badly scarred and he's probably full of poison too, but he's frozen.

In this frozen state he has paid extra to have the "lucid dream" option, which when it works properly gives the suspended person the illusion that their life has continued onward. Because of the guilt and pain in his subconscious mind, guilt over how he treated Julie and the desicion he made that prevented him from having what potentially could have been a wonderful relationship with Sofia, his lucid dream has turned into a nightmare, one where he is on trial for killing Sofia/Julie.

In the end, one of the faces he's seen throughout his dreams is revealed to be "Tech Support", part of a program that can interact with him during his lucid dream apart from any script David is playing for himself. When the "Tech Support" finally confronts him and takes him to the roof, he explains the situation. It is over one-hundred years in the future now. There are technologies avilable that will really repair the physical damage from the car accident (and his subsequent suicide attempt).

He is given two options. One is he can stay in the lucid dreamworld, with a promise that the program will work better now, it won't be a nightmare, and he'll have no memory of the nightmares - basically he can have the Sofia he always dreamed of, without the negatives. It will seem real, but it will only be a dream. The second option is to come out of the lucid dream program, be healed in the present (which is far into the future), and have a chance at new experiences and a 'reality' that is unknown. Rather than stay, he jumps off the roof, signaling that he is done with the program and wants to return to reality, even though Sofia won't be there.

Again, all of this is explained in the ending. Watch it again (or go rent the original film, Open Your Eyes).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

WARNING: "Vanilla Sky" spoilers below
It's exactly as Holden said. He simply extended his life because he couldn't face the truth. Anything in the movie, past the crash, that changed was a figment of his immagination. Anything before was real. In the end, he chooses to be reawakened in real life.

Chris, I see why they did it, but I'm still just as angry. I did have a good laugh out of making fun of them though:

Chic at the counter:"It is the policy of Hoyts to NEVER sell tickets to an R rated movie to a person under the age of 17"

Me:"Really?"(pulled out my ticket stub from last night, and the last 5 movies I've seen, all rated R)

She got really embarassed, and just goes: "Look I'm really sorry, but please don't give me any ****, its just my job."

At that point I felt sorry, but still!!! I was pissed!!!

OG, you were denied access to an R-rated film? Back in the go-go '80s, I don't think my friends and I were EVER turned away. I walked up and bought a ticket for To Live & Die in L.A. when I was fifteen, man...and that movie was fairly hard-core for its day. It's probably why I'm so screwed up now.

Must have ben parental complaints recently at that location, Boy-o. But I think that's also what you get for livin' in conservative By-God-Virginia. It sucks bein' a kid sometimes. But hey, look at it this way: this is the last time in your life you'll be able to fondle sixteen-year-old girls without the penalty of jail. Live it up while you can, my brutha.

And it all becomes clear now: you just want to see a movie with me so I can get you tickets to R-rated flicks, yeah? OK, but I am NOT buying you guys cigarettes and beer.

Yea. It was the first time I've ever been turned away at the theater. I've been denied buying movies, like Ghost Dog and Requiem For a Dream, all from the same person though. Usually the theater is very cool about, I look older than I am (16), but tonight they weren't being too hip about it.

But hey, look at it this way: this is the last time in your life you'll be able to fondle sixteen-year-old girls without the penalty of jail. Live it up while you can, my brutha.
True. True.

Lol, nah thats not the reason Holden. I just need an excuse to go into D.C. with someone other than Steve and Mark!

Guy
WARNING: "vanilla sky" spoilers below
how come in the beginning, sophia is saying open your eyes when he hasn't met her yet? then cruise gets in his car and new york is completely empty.. what's that all about? is that saying that he was dreaming the whole time?

GUY, put those kinds of comments in [SPOILER] tags! As was already explained once in the thread, to make those spoiler boxes appear, do it like this...

[ spoilers=Vanilla Sky ]
Type out the comment.
[ /spoilers ]

Do it just like I have above, the only difference is don't put a space between the brackets and the words inside them.

*Good. Looks like you've got the hang of it now.

As was discussed a bit earlier in the thread...

You can interpret the very, very end of the movie - the dark screen after he jumps and the line "Open your eyes" - as meaning even the "Tech Support" guy was only a dream, that no matter what he does, in a Groundhog Day kind of way he'll keep waking up in this dream no matter what, whether it is a lucid dream he paid for or just what his mind is doing to him.

I don't think that interpretation is supported in the film, but you CAN look at it that way if you want. But then EVERYthing could be a dream, even the accident and his life before he met Sofia. I don't think that's what the film is saying.

Guy

how about the beginning though, where it is showing overhead shots of new york then penelope cruz's voice says open your eyes and tom cruise (who doesn't even know her yet) wakes up and goes through his routine to see New York empty -- then wakes up again.

I think that's making it a little more complicated than necessary, or even logical...

Right, well we see Kurt Russell's character and that interrogation room well before the accident too. The context of that opening sequence with the empty streets is he's telling the court-appointed shrink (Russell) about his dreams. But Russell and the upcoming murder trial are part of that dream too, David just doesn't know it yet. Unlike some of the other sequences, the empty streets is obviously a dream.

Waking up to basically the same series of events again, but this time with people and the stuff with his job and the birthday party, that doesn't mean that it too is all a dream. Like the last line of the film, you CAN interpret it that way. But if EVERYthing in the movie is a dream, there is no beginning, no characters, and who is dreaming this anyway? If you take the position that every single part is a dream, including the stuff that happens in the timeline before the car accident, then we never ever see any reality, and we never know who is dreaming. What would the point of that be? It doesn't make sense, from a narrative point-of-view.

The movie has an internal logic, just follow it and go where it takes you.

Guy

another thing.. the elevator guy said they met 100 years earlier.. that would mean david was living his 'dream' life for about 100 years or so, but how is that possible if the dream murder and his self discovery was definately not many years after the accident.

This is an easy one...

Because he's been dreaming, obviously, and the same rules of time and space do not apply.

In his head, very little time has passed. But in real time, for many, many years he has wrestled with these same themes over and over again, but always without fully remembering his suicide or the contract to extend his life via cryonics.

The timeline in reality is this...
David wakes up with Julie Gianni, he goes to work, he has the party and meets Sofia, he takes Sofia home and falls in love with her without consumating physically, Julie meets him in the morning, he gets in the car, they crash, Julie dies and David lives though scarred in his face and arm, David is depressed and withdraws from the business and life, he meets Sofia and Brian at the club, he passes out in the street. It isn't ever said exactly when finds the company on the internet he then goes to Life Extension, but he does so sometime after the incident at the club. He signs the contract, he and the fat lawyer fight for control of the company, they win, David is still depressed about losing the opportunity with Sofia, his frustration that there isn't currently a medical procedure that will repair him, and his continuing guilt over Julie's death. So, he takes pills and tries to kill himself. He is taken to the cryonics institute in a coma, they freeze him and start the dream programs.

We are told the splice from reality to his dream was put in after falling asleep drunk in the street. Stuff really happened to him after that (most importantly signing the contract and his suicide attempt), but because of the program he isn't supposed to remember those types of things, thus the splice. He doesn't remember them for many years, until these events and his subconscious start invading the dreams and turning hem into nightmares.

Over one-hundred years pass in real time before he finally works all of this out in his lucid dreaming. When he finally does, he is given a choice to continue with dreams or be brought back to an uncertain reality where he can be finally cured physically. He chooses life. The end.

EVERYTHING else that happens is a dream.

Got it?

It will be nice to get the DVD and here what Crowe has to say about all of it. I really liked the commentary by the guy who did The 6th Sense and Unbreakable.

Saw it today and didn't like it as much as I had hoped I would.

While the style was somewhat more original than we often see, the story itself wasn't what I would call original (not even accounting for the fact that it is a remake). Didn't find the ending to be all that unpredictable, either. I guess I just expected more. I also felt some scenes dragged a little bit, especially the scene on the roof.

What was the significance, if any, of the Inspection Sticker on Cruise's Mustang having the date 2/30/01? Or was that just one of those things that gets stuck in that doesn't mean anything

I thought Tom Cruise did a very good acting job, and I liked Penelope Cruz more than I expect to. Jason Lee was greatness, of course. I can't quibble with any of the acting performances, and the movie was stylistically and cinematically very well done. I just found the story a little too much like several things I've seen before.

Well, I too have seen it.

What are with the bad reviews? No one got it, of course. Oscars? No. Why? No "contemporary" people will get it. Is this fair? No, no it wasn't. Why? Because it was an extremley brilliant look at a way to make a film.

Everything makes sense, and I get it, and so I won't join in the "explain this" stuff....

The highlight, was of course, the soundtrack. Crowe is a genius with his music. The scene in the L.E lobby with "Good Vibrations" playing -- that was gold, and could have been the end of the film in my own opinion. I was expecting it to end and I would have loved it. They through Taylor in there just to make the people who like nicer endings which explain stuff there. If it had ended in the lobby I would have been pleased to guess about what happened for days. The music and the composition between it and the images are always a seemingly easy thing for Crowe, and this film was no exception.

I normally hate Cruise, but he did well for me. I am not a fan of Cruz, just everything about her makes me want to vomit. But not here. She did well, and won hearts -- of course the show belongs to Diaz and Lee acting wise, but I don't think otherwise. The acting was very understated. It wasn't THAT important to the film. It was about what conclusions you were making in your own mind the entire time.

The moment it ended, the woman behind me said -- really loudly -- "What the hell?!". But I sat there a moment and then walked out with the impression that I had scene a few different short films about the one story that peiced together to create something that both left you confused, but not confused. Each section of the film had it's own genre and feel [which some have hated] but it gave to me, a moasaic feel, walking through an art gallery, seeing a bunch of different paintings of the same man done in different styles, one for each stage of his life -- a bunch of seemingly different pictures of the same man, that told a story.

That is what "Vanilla Sky" was for me.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
What are with the bad reviews? No one got it, of course. Oscars? No. Why? No "contemporary" people will get it. Is this fair? No, no it wasn't. Why? Because it was an extremley brilliant look at a way to make a film.

Everything makes sense, and I get it, and so I won't join in the "explain this" stuff....
I got it just fine. People can understand it just fine and still not like it. It made perfect sense to me (other than the question about the non-existant date on the inspection sticker, but that may well mean nothing at all). I just didn't like it.

I agree, Ryan: why is it that, everytime some supposedly "deep," involving film comes along, there are always those who like it, and say that all who didn't like it must "need everything fed to them" or "didn't get it." I'll sum up my thoughts on such movies for ya'll, though (the spoilers below are POTENTIAL...I haven't seen the movie):

if there's some big twist that makes sense, well, great...but it's truly a cop-out if a film builds up to a conclusion for over 90 minutes, and just pulls something out of a magic hat to tie up all plot holes with a "ha, it was all a dream!" type of explanation, then more often than not, I'm going to be p*ssed.