Remember your first?...

Tools    

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
I think my first THEATER experiance was Gremlins.

My dad was a BIG movie junkie so every Friday and Saturday was spent at the Drive in.
FF, girl, I think we might have had parallel upbringings.

My first theater movie was Gremlins, too. It was great--I kept talking to everybody who was sitting around us in the eternity (it felt like an eternity, anyway) it took for the movie to actually start. In my own defense, we were there about twenty minutes early because my parents were anal about getting there on time, and I was either five or six.

And my parents, too, were big on drive-ins, but their reason was that, hey, if you've got anywhere from 6 to 9 kids in your house at any given time, you gotta go cost-effective. So I spent a lot of time at the drive-in. The first movie I remember watching there was a Pink Panther movie, although I still haven't been able to figure out which one. The second outing I clearly remember was a double feature: Crocodile Dundee II and She's Having a Baby. I fell asleep in the backseat.

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

FF, girl, I think we might have had parallel upbringings.

My first theater movie was Gremlins, too.
lol..
about half way through the movie, my step dad went to get a pop, and when he came back... he came up behind us and yelled "BANG!"

I think everyone in there jumped 10 inches!

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
lol..
about half way through the movie, my step dad went to get a pop, and when he came back... he came up behind us and yelled "BANG!"

I think everyone in there jumped 10 inches!
Nice!

The part I remember that freaked out everyone in the theater was one of the gremlins busting through the light socket (or wall). I'd never heard my mom scream before.

Never heard your Mom scream before?!? Then I dare say you weren't doing your job as a kid. Make 'em scream early, make 'em scream often, that's what I say.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

lol
see, just goes to prove that audience reactions can influence a movie just as much as the ACTORS do.... lol!

I recently took my son to see the new release of ET... anyway...
of ciourse I am crying through the whole thing like some kind of idiot. (he was 5) He kept saying "Mom, shut up your embarrassing me" evryone around us was realy getting a kick out of his embarrassment, and parents were hiding their tears pretty good, but I am a loud crier. Anyway...
at the end there when ET is leaving... I am trying SOOOOO hard to cover the fact that I am crying.... and he says to me.. real quiet like and choked with tears.... "Mom, I dont want ET to go.." and I say...[very loudly because I am trying so hard to NOT be obvioulsy crying] "Mommy dont want him to ...gasp for air here... EITHER........whaaaaaa...." too funny... He still tells me it was his "favorite time at the movies. Even better then Inspector Gadget and Daddy fell down the steps.". LOL....

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Never heard your Mom scream before?!? Then I dare say you weren't doing your job as a kid. Make 'em scream early, make 'em scream often, that's what I say.
I knew even as I typed it out that somebody would have a comment... although, gutter-brained as I am, I figured it'd be some sort of comment on my dad not doing his job.

And she never screamed at me. Yelled, cursed the day I was born, that sort of thing, but never screamed.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The fist movie I ever remember seeing was Star Wars at a drive in with my uncle and brother. The first movie I saw indoors was The Muppet Movie, which is still one of my favorites for many reasons. I'm a huge Jim Henson fan, and I love the "Don't sell out" 1960's countercultural message of the film. Kermit the Frog is the Jimmy Stewart of puppets....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Fighting out of the Lions Den
My earliest cinema experience was "Grizzly" , a movie about `...a 15 ft Grizzly terrorising a State Park` .

Oh yeah! It put the ****`s up me as a rugrat at the time alright ,
but believe it or not I hadn`t watched this film again until last year when Bravo screened it I think.

Awesome! This`ll rekindle some long lost memories I thought .
What a Frikkin let down it was .
Basically just some dude in a rent-a-suit struggling through the woods filming his feet with the occasional rent-a-paw moving a branch aside for `atmosphere` .

What a joke. Makes me wonder what kind of a wimp I was as a kid to be scared ****less by this.

I remember watching another film around the same time that had the same affect on me.
It was called "Tentacles" -Haven`t seen that since either.
Me thinks memories are should be left in the past where they belong.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Friend of mine just related this tale of his easily-scared wife. Apparently she really jumps at scary parts of movies. (She barely survived "Signs" last night.)

Anyway, he wrote this:

"During one of the Star Wars movies, when they were on the asteroid and inside some beast's belly or something, and something plopped onto the windshield of the Millennium Falcon, she threw an entire huge full Coke square into the face of the man sitting beside us. It was quite a moment. Very memorable."

LOL, makes my little shrieks and face-coverings look like nothing in comparison. Howdja like to have been that guy next to her?

P.S. Yes, Yoda's first theatre experience was The Great Mouse Detective. Imagine 2-yr-old little wide-eyed Chris sitting between his mom and dad, nearly getting lost down in that big seat. We let him hold the huge bucket of popcorn (back when they used buckets and not paper bags) and he sat still the entire movie and was fascinated by the whole experience. What an attention span for a kid in a diaper at the time.

Originally posted by Austruck
P.S. Yes, Yoda's first theatre experience was The Great Mouse Detective. Imagine 2-yr-old little wide-eyed Chris sitting between his mom and dad, nearly getting lost down in that big seat. We let him hold the huge bucket of popcorn (back when they used buckets and not paper bags) and he sat still the entire movie and was fascinated by the whole experience. What an attention span for a kid in a diaper at the time.
That's awesome. A movie lover in the making!

This sounds quite a bit like Lena's first theater movie--it was Rugrats: The Movie, and she loved it, completely lost in the whole experience. After that, she'd always ask when we could go back to "the big TV."

She still calls it that. It's pretty cute.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Sadly, Yoda still wears diapers. Not because he's incontinent (usually), but strictly because he loves to have his widdwe bottom talced.
It's refreshing.

But the question remains...

Does the Jedi Master prefer cloth or disposable?

I'm guessing disposable, but if Chris is in it strictly for comfort (pins aside), it very well could be cloth.

Depends on the mood. When I'm expecting some lightsabre action, I prefer the reliability most disposables provide. No leakage, ya' know? Just like in the commercials...even though I don't excrete blue liquid.

If it's just another day at the Jedi Council sitting in my wittle chair, though, I prefer the breathability of cloth. Plus, you can dye the cloth ones light brown, like my robe...makes the whole thing less noticable, which is good. Jedi Master like me...cloth diapers. Folks would get the wrong idea. Can't have that.

Originally posted by Yoda
Depends on the mood. When I'm expecting some lightsabre action, I prefer the reliability most disposables provide. No leakage, ya' know? Just like in the commercials...even though I don't excrete blue liquid.
I got a mental picture... and now I'm going to try and get rid of that mental picture.

Reminds me of the "Oops, I Crapped My Pants" commercial on SNL.

"Let's imagine that this lemonade is a gallon of your feces..."

The Adventure Starts Here!
Note from Mommy: Yoda wore both as an infant. Disposables weren't as omnipresent when he was little and we were kinda poor. And uhh, as I recall, we didn't have to dye them. They found a way to dye themselves.

Ask him about the swirl-the-diaper-over-his-head incident.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
The first movie i remeber going to see is Snow White when it came back out to the movie theaters in like 1987??
I then went to go see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Ask him about the swirl-the-diaper-over-his-head incident.
This thread just went to crap. No pun intended. Well, maybe some pun intended.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
This thread just went to crap. No pun intended. Well, maybe some pun intended.
How about a lot of pun intended? An excess of pun?

I can't deal with all this pun-demonium...

I like to watch...
When I was REALLY little my parents went to the Drive In where Night of the living Dead was playing with The Exorcist.

Nice combo to take a three year old to...although in their defense they were still teenagers themselves and I think they thought I would be asleep. Funnily enough I recall nothing of the Exorcist (I probably WAS asleep by that stage - scared into a coma by Night of the Living Dead) but will alway remember those bloody cheap-arsed Black and White zombies!!!!! I still tell my parents they should have been reported the The Department of Community Services!!

Then as the 1970's progressed, every trip to the drive in with my folks involved a disaster movie - Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, Airport 76 & 77, Earthquake etc. I especially loved Alive where the South American football team's plane crashed into a Mountain and they had to eat each other. There was another one about a swarm of killer bees. And of course King Kong with Jessica Lange.

Then came Rocky, Saturday Night Fever, Star Wars, Close Encounters and Grease...

There are only two drive in theaters in Sydney nowadays and both are a long drive away... but sometimes I think I should bundle my hubby, a pillow and a pile of junk food into the car (not necessarily in that order) and go - it may just be worth a trip and the price of admission just for nostalgia's sake.