Holden Pike's Top 100 of the 2010s

Tools    

I don't wanna hijack Holden's tremendous thread here (though you kinda did that yourself with the moderately disingenuous response), so if you want to reply to the below I'm going to spin this off into a new thread somewhere:

a) something like "Wow, this dude gets it!" when their list contains the majority of picks I agree with and no picks I find ridiculous in other words if I can greatly relate to the taste of the person
Okay, so the standard "I like it when people have the same opinions as me."

It's like "your favorite film ever" thread. When somebody says it's Satantango you feel the first. When somebody says it's some obscure film from Bangladesh you never heard about it's probably the second (even if they sound like a poser). However, if they say something like Shawshank Redemption you're all like "Man, that's such a boring pick it's top 1 IMDb atm. You like it fine but why don't you watch some more films".
"Watch some more films" is a very presumptuous thing to say to almost anyone, and I think we have ample evidence that Holden's seen...uh...quite a few. I'm gonna say more than you.

OR consider the possibility that he's picking what he likes, and not especially concerned with all the image-making stuff you're referencing above. I think most people make these lists just to talk about what they like, and don't see them as an opportunity to show people how special they are by picking things they wouldn't otherwise. The goal isn't to shock people, the goal is to, ya' know, actually honor the art.

I think you can imagine stumbling upon a film you either never heard about or maybe heard about only once from a movement or genre you love and deciding "I was supposed to watch another Pabst today, bot nope - change of plans - I'm watching THIS instead". And then movie-watching is all nice and exciting again even after 10k films seen.
You misunderstand. This is obviously reasonable, and I do it all the time (particularly since I love high concept films).

But I'm assuming--correct me if I'm wrong--that you both a) did not know about every single film on that list and b) did not immediately rush off to Google the premise of each before dumping on the list as a whole. Correct?

Minio sure picked a longwinded way of saying "I think liking obscure films makes me better than everybody else."

Great list Holden, awesome write-ups and layout. I've only seen 36/100, but out of those I absolutely love La La Land, The Artist, The Revenant, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, The Wolf of Wall Street, 1917, The Lego Movie, Inside Llewyn Davis, Parasite, Lady Bird, Love & Friendship and The Nice Guys. I've also just started getting into Yorgos Lanthimos' work, having seen The Favourite the other week and loving it, and The Lobster just last night, and loving it even more, so it's great to see them here.

I wish the fetishization over obscurity became obscure. Great list, Holden.

Let the night air cool you off
As someone who follows Minio on RYM and Letterboxd, I'd be willing to bet that Minio has seen more films than most MoFos... that said, at best his comments in this thread were unnecessary or maybe missing the mark in the tone department. At worst, he was being the stereotypical pretentious hipster archetype. If he didn't find Holden's list to be interesting, there's not really any reason to relay those thoughts to him unsolicited in that manner. If he instead wanted to give him some recommendations, that would have been more helpful.

The trick is not minding
As someone who follows Minio on RYM and Letterboxd, I'd be willing to bet that Minio has seen more films than most MoFos... that said, at best his comments in this thread were unnecessary or maybe missing the mark in the tone department. At worst, he was being the stereotypical pretentious hipster archetype. If he didn't find Holden's list to be interesting, there's not really any reason to relay those thoughts to him unsolicited in that manner. If he instead wanted to give him some recommendations, that would have been more helpful.
How many movies he’s seen isn’t the point though, Yoda was just using that as a reminder that Holden himself has seen a great deal of movies and possibly even more.
As to the rest of your post, I’d say more of the latter then the former, and I could cite his past posts as an example.
The last few lines is spot on, of course, and I agree with you there.

Speaking only for myself, I don't really get into "who's seen more" <something> contests unless the disparity is extreme. If it isn't (and with Holden and literally anyone else here, it isn't) then I think it's a really reductive way to dismiss an opinion, and it should be done only as a last resort, since it's so patently uncharitable.

Let the night air cool you off
The only reason I even said that part was just in hopes that maybe if Minio saw somebody come to his defense in that regard, maybe he wouldn't feel the need to bring up how many films he's seen. I didn't want the conversation to be about how many films anybody has seen, but I made the classic mistake of trying too hard to make something not happen, only to (sort of) make it happen. Just to make it clear, I don't think it really matters how many films anybody has seen, at least in terms of who has better taste or who makes a better list or whatever.

The trick is not minding
The only reason I even said that part was just in hopes that maybe if Minio saw somebody come to his defense in that regard, maybe he wouldn't feel the need to bring up how many films he's seen. I didn't want the conversation to be about how many films anybody has seen, but I made the classic mistake of trying too hard to make something not happen, only to (sort of) make it happen. Just to make it clear, I don't think it really matters how many films anybody has seen, at least in terms of who has better taste or who makes a better list or whatever.
Yeah, I understand. I tried to word my response in a way that it wasn’t seen as a criticism towards you personally. If it seemed that way, I apologize. Yoda covered it better then I anyways

Welcome to the human race...
Now I want to know what Minio's top 100 of the decade looks like.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great effort and list. As ever with such a big list there's a bunch I really don't care for but also lots of films I was a big fan of - Take Shelter, Birdman, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Nightcrawler, Get Out, Hell or High Water, Jojo Rabbit, Muppets, Hugo, Guardians of the Galaxy, Parasite, Brooklyn etc

Adding this to the big list of favourite film lists, right alongside your favourites list for the previous decade if anyone wants more Holden

Good effort Holden on compiling this.
Unless I missed it, nice to see Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Jojo Rabbit and Ragnarok making it, but surprised to not to see What we do in the Shadows from the same man not making it. Just curious to know, whether you didn't like it?

Also, nice to see Manchester by the Sea, Wild Things, Wind River and Whiplash in it. Few of my personal favourites from the decade.

Speaking only for myself, I don't really get into "who's seen more" <something> contests unless the disparity is extreme.
Speaking personally, I wouldn't care about who's seen more movies, even if the disparity was extreme; the validity of someone's opinions about movies (or anything else for that matter) isn't determined by how many of them you've seen in your lifetime, it's determined by how well you express your opinions on them, and someone who's posted a favorites list with write-ups has contributed more to a forum (regardless of how "mainstream" someone else judges their list) than someone who does nothing but "neg" that list in response.

I daresay Minio also doesn't think there's a correlation between watching a lot of movies and having "valid" opinions. The "at least they post write-ups" thing is also funny considering that only 10 out of the 100 movies listed actually got write-ups from Holden - if I did a top 100 of my own and did a paragraph on every single one, would that mean I "won"?

In the end, it's simply amusing to see one of the most prolific viewers on here post a list that doesn't exactly reflect similarly varied preferences - the more interesting picks are the ones that aren't so obvious like his repeated nods to Jeff Nichols or putting Silence in the top 10. I'm sure a sizeable chunk of these films would crack my own top 100 of the 2010s list anyway, so I'm more inclined to notice which ones I wouldn't put on there and think about why.

I daresay Minio also doesn't think there's a correlation between watching a lot of movies and having "valid" opinions. The "at least they post write-ups" thing is also funny considering that only 10 out of the 100 movies listed actually got write-ups from Holden - if I did a top 100 of my own and did a paragraph on every single one, would that mean I "won"?
You would've won alongside Holden because both of you would have contributed something worthwhile to the forum, as opposed to pointlessly negging someone else's contribution for no good reason.

You would've won alongside Holden because both of you would have contributed something worthwhile to the forum, as opposed to pointlessly negging someone else's contribution for no good reason.
Doesn't sound like you've seen Minio when he does contribute. Dude's written like a thousand Movie Tab posts where he writes up the thousands upon thousands of movies he has watched and he's carved out a rep for being one of the more interesting members of the forum as a result, enough so that I'm not about to write him off just because he gets all elitist from time to time (and we have had some terrible excuses for elitists over the years). The same goes for Holden and his long history of snark.

Doesn't sound like you've seen Minio when he does contribute. Dude's written like a thousand Movie Tab posts where he writes up the thousands upon thousands of movies he has watched and he's carved out a rep for being one of the more interesting members of the forum as a result, enough so that I'm not about to write him off just because he gets all elitist from time to time (and we have had some terrible excuses for elitists over the years). The same goes for Holden and his long history of snark.
I'm not writing him off either, all I'm doing here is responding to the specific replies he's posted in here, which I found to be annoyingly negative, and someone being a good contributor otherwise doesn't make it okay to act that way, as far as I'm concerned.

The trick is not minding
Not to derail this any further then it has already been, but contribution to the website does not provide anyone carte blanche. He was called out for his behavior, and I think the point has been made sufficiently at this time. Let’s move on guys.

Nice list. There are a couple I haven't seen (The Revenant, Grand Budapest Hotel, and Silence), and I really should revisit The Artist (don't even remember it at all), but the others would probably make my list or close to it.
I loved The Artist, I highly recommend it.