Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Barry Lyndon (1975) -

WARNING: spoilers below
I was surprised by how much I loved this film. I know it's a Kubrick film, but since I'm not a fan of historical dramas and given that Barry Lyndon is a middle child between four Kubrick films which are more well-known (2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket), I was wondering if this would be one of his weaker films. But nope, Kubrick blew me away once again.

A major theme of this film is the death of existentialism. Barry's attempts to use his wit and skills to secure a good outcome outside of the system make him an existentialist. These efforts are constantly undermined though. For example, though it initially seems like he kills John Quin in a duel, it's later learned that Quin didn't die and that the duel was a ruse to get rid of him. Also, his efforts of escaping to Dublin are undermined by being robbed. In addition, his plan to join the Seven Years' War to get a pension that will enable him to return home are undermined by his friend dying and, of course, never receiving the pension. Finally, his efforts of deserting the war are undermined by him being drafted into the Prussian Army. Since Barry was unable to change his fate and avoid becoming part of the system, his existentialist ideals fell flat.

The latter parts of the first half are where Barry loses his existentialist ideals and becomes part of the system he attempted to avoid. Saving a Prussian soldier's life in the Seven Years' War is his first turning point. While he initially attempted to create a good outcome for himself by operating outside of the system (again, with no luck), he's now operating from inside the system and doing what those above him would want him to do. Except, he isn't quite ready to be a part of the system. Though he's operating from inside it now, he's yet to master the act of deception. While many people in the film deceived Barry up to this point, he's yet to do the same as Prussian Captain Potzdorf caught on to his last attempt. Eventually though, Barry and Chevalier successfully deceive the Prussians by escaping the country. Marrying Lady Lyndon serves as the final nail in the coffin to his existentialism, causing him to be a member of the system. He's now a deceiver who marries for class and uses violence to settle disputes, just like those around him. He wasn't able to escape this fate.

Now is a good time to mention the cinematography. Most shots in the film are constructed to look like paintings, largely due to the abundance of wide angle shots and how the film was shot only in natural light. While this style is visually outstanding, it also adds to the film's themes. Of course, paintings never move regardless of how long or how many times you view them. They will always tell the same story. I think this aesthetic shows how Barry's story is neither special nor unique. Rather, the character traits we see of him are part of a pattern. Many other people had, have, and will have the same fate as Barry. For instance, though little is known about Barry's father, the first shot shows that he also used violence to settle disputes. In fact, a common camera movement in the film shows a close-up of Barry, only to pull back and reveal more and more of the setting he occupies. These shots show that Barry is less important to these frames than the scenery surrounding him is.

The second half expands upon this generational pattern by detailing how Bullington becomes a faceless member of the system, just as Barry, Barry's father, and everyone else around them did. Much like Barry uses violence to solve conflicts with Bullington in the second half, Bullington uses violence to solve his own conflicts later on. Bullington also upholds the same existentialist ideals Barry had in the early stretches of the film, shown by how Bullington constantly defies Barry with the belief he can save his mother from him or how he later leaves the family estate. Like Barry though, Bullington's efforts are undermined. Defying Barry doesn't save his mother: it only results in him getting beaten. Leaving the family estate doesn't allow for him to operate outside the system: he later returns to the estate. Given this, Barry and Bullington are one and the same as they both end up operating inside the system, despite their efforts to avoid it. Just like a character in a painting, they have no free will and will always live in the same scene.

In conclusion, this is another impressive addition to Kubrick's large body of films. I'm not sure where I'd rank it amongst his other films, but it's definitely a great film. If you haven't seen this film yet, I highly recommend doing so.

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler

Clearly great and important cinema made by a master but it came out 10 years too early. The complexity of the story and reliance on dialogue would've lent itself to the talkie era. As is, the constant bombardment of long intertitles made the 4 hour film feel it's full length and often like a clip show accompanying a short novel. This was exacerbated by my not reading German and being reliant on the slowly trickling subtitles at the bottom, often over lapping the actual titles, which felt like having to learn to read again.

It's still clearly a masterpiece from Lang but I'd rather rewatch almost any of his American Film Noir over this one in the future.

This movie went on forever...I think I had a birthday while I was watching it
LOL.

"I remember when I was young. There was only one girl in this film, and no sailors."

Heat (Mann, '95)

Don't get attached to anything you aren't willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

WARNING: spoilers below
"A Los Angeles crime saga"; its tagline certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to setting the hype high for the film to come, but Michael Mann's Heat ultimately ends up justifying most of those lofty expectations, as Mann draws inspiration from both real life and from his previous films (including his 1989 TV movie LA Takedown, which served as the basis for this film) in order to create a sort of grand culmination of his career up to this point, pairing an excellent screenplay, a cast of Hollywood legends, and a sleek, stylish aesthetic in order to bring a unexpectedly expansive scope to a familar genre, creating one of his best films, and what can only be described as a true crime epic in the end.

Heat primarily tells the story of two men; Neil McCauley (portrayed by Robert De Niro), a high class armed thief looking to take down the biggest score of his "career" with his crew (while also avoiding a return trip to prison at all costs), and Vincent Hanna (played by Al Pacino), the LAPD detective chasing him, who is willing to sacrifice everything in order to catch McCauley, even as his personal life collapses all around him as his obsessive pursuit winds ever on. The two men's stories create a strong central dynamic through the sheer force of the screen icons portraying them, finally acting face-to-face with each other after a tantalizing close brush in the second Godfather (including a now infamous face-to-face conversation in the kind of all-night diner that Mann obsesses over), as they serve as mirror images of the other on their respective sides of the law, right down to the way that McCauley's newly-formed romance passes Hanna's crumbling marriage on a parallel track, and, even though they inevitably end up being enemies by nature, the two still can't help but share a respect for the other for their mutual professionalism, just like we can't choose one of them to truly "root" for here, so evenly spread are the film's sympathies for both of them.

However, while they would be enough to center an entire film around on their own, Heat's story isn't content to merely focus on just them, as Mann's screenplay widens its scope to also develop their personal lives, and their (often troubled) relationships with their associates, families, and lovers, weaving a multi-webbed tapestry of a crime drama that's just as much about the drama as it is the crime, with its well-written, emotionally insightful dialogue letting us know exactly what makes the characters tick. And, while the film is held back slightly by the occasional sense of bloat, with a few too many characters and sub-plots feeling crammed in, Heat's broader vision still ends up working in its for the most part, fully immersing us in its vivid LA underworld for nearly 3 hours straight, portraying each and every side of the city of angels, from shabby shacktowns to literal glass houses on the rolling hills above, to the point that the city itself is basically its own character here.

Finally, Heat impresses through its sheer overall style, as Mann paints the concrete jungle that is Los Angeles as a veritable sea of urban lights, with its immaculate, steely blue pallete and moody Elliot Goldenthal score creating an almost dream-like vibe to its imagery, which contrasts nicely with the film's insistence on a tactile sense of realism otherwise, as Mann engages in another familiar element of his films, that of the elite, professional criminal who's so good that you can't help but admire him, as the film takes joy in meticulously laying out the step-by-step intricacies of each heist, culminating in a spectacular centerpiece shootout that turns LA into a literal warzone, as the deafening sound of automatic weapons boom throughout the streets, with the thrills not coming from any truly unrealistic stuntwork, but from the sheer intensity that such an incident brings with it (which would see a terrifying echo in real life just a couple of years later with the North Hollywood shootout). All in all, this is one of the strongest efforts from one of the best directors working today, and ultimately well worth its lengthy runtime, so all I have to ask you now is, can you feel the Heat, coming roaring your way? Because I know I can.

Final Score: 8.5

The Whisperers, 1967

Mrs Ross (Edith Evans, fantastic) is a woman in her 70s who lives alone in an apartment. Lonely and often only kept company by the shouting from the younger couple who live upstairs, Mrs. Ross is convinced that she is being spied on and that unknown persons are going through her things while she is out. All though the course of the film, those around her are only after what they can take from her. Even an act intended as a kindness has unfortunate, harmful results.

This film is, as they say, a downer. It has a certain bleakness baked into every scene. And at the center of that bleakness is the main character's utterly dysfunctional relationship with the world around her.

Something that is keenly observed in the film is the way that Mrs. Ross's alienation from everyone else isn't entirely a case of the world being cruel to her. Don't get me wrong--she is certainly mistreated by most of the people she encounters. But there is also a degree to which Mrs. Ross dehumanizes or looks down on other people. She refers to her upstairs neighbor as "that Indian." She explains her home by saying that she "married down." When she does get talking to a woman (and, yes, to be fair the woman is clearly trying to scam her, but Mrs. Ross doesn't know that), she extends kindness . . . in the form of offering to hire her as a maid. Mrs. Ross hasn't cultivated positive relationships in her community, and she is effectively stranded in the middle of people who regard her only as a soft target.

Despite Mrs. Ross's occasional snobbery, however, she is certainly not deserving of the arbitrary and unnecessary cruelties she encounters day to day. When she is too enthusiastic at a church service, she is called a cow. Her own son calls her a "stupid mare". Finally, her estranged husband called her a "daft b*tch". She is constantly dehumanized and threatened, and she is so perplexed, humiliated, and flustered by these encounters that she seems unable course correct.

The one, small glimpse of kindness that she receives is the attentions paid her by her welfare agent, Mr. Conrad (Gerald Sim). Mrs. Ross writes Mr. Conrad long, borderline personal letters, and you get the sense that this is one of her most (if not the most) genuinely caring relationships she has with anyone. But even this relationship has its limits. Without really understanding Mrs. Ross, Mr. Conrad makes a decision for her that has the potential to be incredibly devastating--attempting to track down her long-absent husband.

Appearing in probably 95% of the movie, Edith Evans gives an absolutely amazing performance as Mrs. Ross. This is a woman who has been driven to a place of extreme loneliness and isolation. Her conversations with voices that aren't really there (voices that apparently raise her different doubts) seems a natural extension of someone who has been without any intimate or caring interaction for years, and possibly decades. Not only is she alone but the world around her has changed and her notions of proper behavior make her come across as condescending or crazy to anyone younger than 40.

Solid and well-acted, but be ready for rough emotional waters.

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler

Clearly great and important cinema made by a master but it came out 10 years too early. The complexity of the story and reliance on dialogue would've lent itself to the talkie era. As is, the constant bombardment of long intertitles made the 4 hour film feel it's full length and often like a clip show accompanying a short novel. This was exacerbated by my not reading German and being reliant on the slowly trickling subtitles at the bottom, often over lapping the actual titles, which felt like having to learn to read again.

It's still clearly a masterpiece from Lang but I'd rather rewatch almost any of his American Film Noir over this one in the future.
Yeah that's not one to be taken lightly. Even as a huge Lang fan I've maybe sat through the entire thing 3 times in 25 years. Have you seen "Testament of"? That's a winner.

Yeah that's not one to be taken lightly. Even as a huge Lang fan I've maybe sat through the entire thing 3 times in 25 years. Have you seen "Testament of"? That's a winner.
I have not, as I wanted to watch this first. I have it on my watch list on Criterion Channel. I may watch it soon.

And well I still have some blind spots when it comes to Mann, I might as well take this opportunity to rate/rank all of his films that I've seen to date:

Thief 8.75

Heat 8.5

Collateral 8.5

Last Of The Mohicans 7.5

While Mohicans was a bit of a drop-off for him, since it felt like a somewhat inauthentic attempt at a more mainstream, Hollywidized Historical Epic for him, he's a very, very good filmmaker besides that, IMO.

Mann's Thief certainly can't be better than the awesome forum poster here.
No, but it's close.

Animal Kingdom - Re-watched this to confirm if it was as good as I remembered. It was. This time around I noticed how small touches by director David Michod substituted for extended exposition or longer scenes. The very first shot looks to be a normal day at home with a woman and young man sitting on their couch watching a game show. With that unassuming setup and another seemingly inconsequential scene which involves washing your hands after using the restroom Michod speaks volumes about the young man Joshua ”J“ Cody. He is part of a criminally bent family and although he hasn’t had much to do with them as of late, being a minor he is forced to live with them following a sudden tragedy. The family matriarch is his grandmother, Janine “Smurf” Cody (a marvelous Jackie Weaver) who coldly and efficiently oversees her children’s criminal enterprises. There is a bit of an incestuous bent to her machinations.There’s Darren, (Luke Ford) who’s the youngest, and paranoid drug dealer Craig (Sullivan Stapleton) while the oldest and most dangerous of the siblings is “Pope” (Ben Mendelsohn) who leads an armed robbery crew with Darren and his best friend Barry Brown (Joel Edgerton). Michod, in keeping with his ‘less is more’ storytelling, never elaborates on what exactly Pope’s major malfunction is but Mendelsohn does an impressive job of making him frightening without a lot of histrionics. Rounding out the skilled cast is Guy Pearce as Detective Nathan Leckie, a quiet and sympathetic cop who takes an interest in young Joshua and attempts to both extricate him from his murderous family while also using him against them as a potential witness.

This is a brilliant example of crime cinema and if you haven’t seen Michod’s second feature The Rover then by all means watch it. 95/100

Well, I disagree, actually I think the plot of Thunderdome is a natural continuation of his re-discovery of his humanity, where he
WARNING: "so spoilery" spoilers below
consciously decides to be the hero and make the sacrifice for these children and in doing so, becomes both a father and a legend to them. It's beyond what he did in RW when he's left simply realizing he's been used as the tanker was full of sand. It really feels like the end of a trilogy as Max has become a willing hero and made a family, even if he doesn't get to be part of it. If anything, Fury Road maybe takes a step back from that. Though perhaps he's able to be a reluctant hero to the women in Immortan Joe's harem because he's had a taste of being the hero in Thunderdome.

To me, it's a continuous arc until you get to Fury Road when, maybe, he passes the mantle on to Furiosa?

And let me be clear, I am furious with Miller over Furiosa going forward.
I get that, and I have no problem with Thunderdome having Max sacrifice himself (in a manner of speaking) to save the children, it's just that, both on its own and in the larger context of that film, that moment had little impact for me; Max doing it wasn't treated as the big, character-defining moment that it should've been (and that's before I even compare it to "My name is Max", which is the moment it should've been more like), and Max had displayed little (if any) anti-social characteristics in the film up to that point anyway, so him doing it wasn't really a big character turn. It would've been if the Max of The Road Warrior had done something like that at the end of that film, but at the end of Thunderdome, it just doesn't have much impact. Also, what's wrong with Furiosa getting her own movie? Max has already had four movies mostly to his self by now, so I'd say its the perfect time to pass his mantle onto someone else, especially to a character as great as her.

The world building is not of particular importance or interest as it is predicated on a goofy conflict between unimposing villains (Tina Turner vs. Master Blaster) over gas. Gas as McGuffin is significantly less dramatically weighty than escaping sex slaves (which was handled in the most tasteful way I've ever seen) and it was done better in TRW.
Hey now, I'm not a huge fan of Thunderdome either, but I think you're selling its world-building way short, sort of like the people who gripe about the makeup artists of Suicide Squad winning an Oscar for their work just because that film as a whole was lousy; I mean, you're saying you wouldn't be intimidated if you saw this guy looming over you in the flesh?:

Granted, the sight of Master riding on top of him otherwise is a bit inherently silly, but I still love the ingenuity of the concept of an intelligent dwarf and an unsophisticated giant covering up their weaknesses by combining their strengths to operate as a single figure, as well as the concept of a post-apocalyptic multi-tiered society where the conflict is all internal this time, where the leader on "top" is still completely dependent on the labor of the people below here (which is a nice commentary on the nature of capitalism to boot). I also thought the conflict between MasterBlaster and Auntie wasn't as rushed at first as the one between Joe & Furiosa in Fury Road, since the latter lacked a necessary set-up despite it being in a superior film, which I mentioned in my original review of it, and I think you should at least consider rewatching certain scenes from Thunderdome; I mean, that part where Master puts a temporary "embargo" on Bartertown's power to publically humilate Auntie?:

That's genuinely interesting stuff, and one of the best aspects of that film, despite its status as the weakest Max film otherwise.

Vampyr is awesome, as you say, very visually engaging. There are a lot of films around that time which are a really fascinating mix between silent films and "talkies". One of the ones I want to see the most is Lonesome by Pál Fejős which I have heard great things about.

Unregistered User
I agree with you. Here was my commentary from last May:

The Vast of Night

Caught this delightful picture last night, which had been bought by Amazon and put up on its site 5/29/20. It's a sci-fi mystery by new director Andrew Patterson, starring Sierra McCormick and Jake Horowitz. Producer, director, writers, and some of the actors are freshman in the industry. The excellent cinematography is by veteran M.I. Litten-Menz.

Everything clicked on this picture. It's set in the 1950s, framed as a story on a Twilight Zone copy, Paradox Theater. Slow to build, it carefully sets the background, then gradually quickens the pace to intense thriller levels as the story unfolds. They've adroitly captured the intense but innocent feel of the 1950s sci-fi monster flicks, such as The Blob, and others. The production design was impressive on what must have been a low budget.

The acting is first rate, especially from Miss McCormick and the old pro Gail Cronauer; but it is the fresh and exciting cinematography by Litten-Menz that provides such captivating and engaging photography. The 90 minute film goes by quickly, although it leads to a somewhat anticlimactic finish.

You can be sure that director Andrew Patterson will be offered lots of work for much bigger money as the result of this first time feature. Will look forward to any future productions he helms.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Nice write up GD. Glad we're in tandem

Granted, the sight of Master riding on top of him otherwise is a bit inherently silly, but I still love the ingenuity of the concept of an intelligent dwarf and an unsophisticated giant covering up their weaknesses by combining their strengths to operate as a single figure, as well as the concept of a post-apocalyptic multi-tiered society where the conflict is all internal this time, where the leader on "top" is still completely dependent on the labor of the people below here (which is a nice commentary on the nature of capitalism to boot). I also thought the conflict between MasterBlaster and Auntie was better-developed than the one between Joe & Furiosa in Fury Road, which felt a bit rushed in its set-up (or lack thereof) despite it being in a superior film, which I mentioned in my original review of it, and I think you should at least consider rewatching certain scenes from Thunderdome; I mean, that part where Master puts a temporary "embargo" on Bartertown's power to publically humilate Auntie?:

That's genuinely interesting stuff, and one of the best aspects of that film, despite its status as the weakest Max film otherwise.
This is exactly it though. It's silly. And not in the way that Humungus or Immortan Joe are silly. It's "bounce up and down on you using a bungee cord while giggling" cartoonish silly.

The aforementioned villains are imposing because they do upsetting things and they aren't defeated by a whistle.

By softening or outright removing the violent edge to the films, the villains become impotent forces of flamboyance. Joel Schumacher Batman villains placed in a world that too this point was defined by it's desperation and cruelty.

I don't find the pig **** gas conflict as complex or interesting as you seem to. It's another fight over a commodity that might as well be any other Macguffin. The drama it creates is uninspiring so it's not forgivable like TRW. Both the original and Fury Road shift the emphasis onto human lives and suffering, which is much more dramatically engaging and weighty.

Also, just adament disagreement on your reductionist view of Joe vs. Furiosa. It may be less explicit (I'd say hamfisted) than Auntie vs. Master but the implications told through visuals and actions are much more complex and resonant that makes the casting meaningful (one can assume Joe's original motive for abducting her), her current disability with a lost arm and why she is now an Imperator, along with her empathy for the wives and her defiant "remember me!" all paint an exceptionally vivid picture that gradually unfolds the moment she makes that left turn.

Master shutting off Auntie's supply of methane is superficial and uninteresting in comparison.

The only positives I can really say about BT is that Miller's technical competence is on full display. His fluid camera work and ability to navigate complex chase sequences remains a fascinating highlight. Between that and Mel's performance, I'd call it "mostly watchable."

But compared to every other entry in the franchise, it's a hollow farce.