Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Victim of The Night

I got this earlier this year, the (not quite) complete New Year's shows. Probably overkill if you're just now getting to the original album, but recommended for later when you're ready for more. The "new" stuff is great but also interesting to me was the new approach to some of the older hits, which were left off the BoG LP.

Band of Gypsys 2 was a hot album to have when I was younger with some of my friends preferring it to the first one not only for the newer things like "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun), Ezy Rider, and Hear My Train A'Comin, but also for the hot new takes on some previous hits.

Victim of The Night
With the exception of Monterey Pop, it was exclusively his three main studio releases. Plus Cry of Love (which I've lost).
The Cry Of Love is probably my favorite Hendrix album, period.
I don't care what any "purists" say about the posthumous releases, I love The Cry Of Love and Midnight Lightning to pieces and anyone who decries them can suck the largest of dicks.

Band of Gypsys 2 was a hot album to have when I was younger with some of my friends preferring it to the first one not only for the newer things like "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun), Ezy Rider, and Hear My Train A'Comin, but also for the hot new takes on some previous hits.
Right, I forgot that existed. I've never been obsessive about Jimi (thank GOD- there's a lot of stuff to buy out there), so it's only recently that I've strayed from the main albums.

Holy ****eroo, MF Doom died.
Not only that... But apparently died in October and the family only just now announced it? Happy New Year's Eve...

Holy ****eroo, MF Doom died.
Oh, Madvillain, no! Definitely a surprise. Wonder why? He's only 49.

Thanks, I had never heard of him. Any good?
Madvillainy is one of the best rap of albums of the last 20 years.

Victim of The Night
Madvillainy is one of the best rap of albums of the last 20 years.
Alright, I'll give it a spin.

Victim of The Night
Right, I forgot that existed. I've never been obsessive about Jimi (thank GOD- there's a lot of stuff to buy out there), so it's only recently that I've strayed from the main albums.
Ya know, I don't know if I'm obsessive about Jimi but, at a glance, I have more Hendrix albums by far than I do anyone else, at 15 vinyl records. My digital collection is much more extensive though not as large as my Grateful Dead section. Bowie is probably after that at 8 vinyl records and a pretty large digital presence.

Ya know, I don't know if I'm obsessive about Jimi but, at a glance, I have more Hendrix albums by far than I do anyone else, at 15 vinyl records. My digital collection is much more extensive though not as large as my Grateful Dead section. Bowie is probably after that at 8 vinyl records and a pretty large digital presence.
I just meant I haven't gotten to the point with Jimi where I have to own everything. If I ever do get there, I will buy a stupid amount of stuff that I don't have time to listen to because that's how I roll. Today's Jan 1 and if I only listened to my Miles Davis stuff in sequence, I might be done by summer. There's no need for that!

The Dead is another band that I'm grateful (hee hee) to not have embraced because there's SO MUCH out there. I could easily go bankrupt collecting their stuff. (I've tried, many times, just can't make a love connection with them)

I have more Hendrix albums by far than I do anyone else, at 15 vinyl records.
I'm curious to know which ones. Any boots?

I just meant I haven't gotten to the point with Jimi where I have to own everything.
I have to admit: I'm a bit of a Jimi completist. Not in the sense of buying all of the product (because, gawd, there's lots of deceptive crap) but in the sense of tracking down as much of the vintage available material as possible. I like to think that I have just about as much of his poorly recorded audience tapes as humanly consumable.

The Dead is another band that I'm grateful (hee hee) to not have embraced because there's SO MUCH out there. I could easily go bankrupt collecting their stuff. (I've tried, many times, just can't make a love connection with them)
Just stick to their "Dark Star" variations. I can't think of anything better they produced.

I am curious what the dumb reasons were.

When I started collecting records in the early 90s, when I received my uncle's guidance, I didn't want live albums. Outside of Live at Leeds I didn't like any that I had ever heard. This eventually changed, and you'd think that after I realized I much preferred Hendrix live recordings to his studio output, I might move towards Band of Gypsies at some point. But by then it had been on my list for so long that it lost its lustre and seemed like a record from a bygone era I'd moved past from. I generally buy very little 'classic rock' anymore, even if Hendrix breaks out of pigeonholing him like that.

I've never bothered with boots generally because I'm already spread thin enough with my collection.

I don't mind the Dead, but outside a couple of there early records like Workingmans Dead, I don't feel any burning desire to bog my collection down too much with them.

Victim of The Night
I just meant I haven't gotten to the point with Jimi where I have to own everything. If I ever do get there, I will buy a stupid amount of stuff that I don't have time to listen to because that's how I roll. Today's Jan 1 and if I only listened to my Miles Davis stuff in sequence, I might be done by summer. There's no need for that!

Yeah, I don't know if I have to own everything when it comes to Jimi, there have been a few releases I didn't think were up to par that I've passed on, but some of the deep stuff, before anyone knew who he was, it's just so fascinating to hear it coming. I mean, even when he's playing R&B with saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood, you can hear that no one sounds quite like that.
The Dead are different because the Dead kinda never played anything the same way twice and were constantly pushing the music so, yeah, you can really get lost. It's very much like Jazz that way, though it's actually a little more interesting than a lot of Jazz to me because of their structure. Dead fans have conversations all the time about what the best version of a single song is and if you get 10 Dead fans in a room you will get at least 7 or 8 different answers to that question and usually you will get 30 because no one can actually narrow it down to just one. Fortunately, the Dead have made their music really accessible.
As for connecting with them, I don't really know what does or doesn't make someone connect with them. I needed to hear it and be exposed to the lyrics and iconography and ethos exactly once and it has been a part of my life that transcends music and gets more into philosophy for 43, 44 years now.

Victim of The Night
I'm curious to know which ones. Any boots?
Hang on, I'll give you the vinyl list (I have to go look):

Jimi Hendrix At His Best
Roots Of Hendrix
Moods
Are You Experienced
Jimi Plays Monterey
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland
Smash Hits
Band Of Gypsys
Band Of Gypsys 2
Rainbow Bridge
Soundtrack Recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix
The Cry Of Love
Midnight Lightning
Nine To The Universe
Valleys Of Neptune
The Essential Jimi Hendrix, Vol.1 & Vol.2 (the first ones I ever bought when I was like 14 or 15)
First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
People, Hell, and Angels

So, 19, as it turns out.

On CD or digitally, I also have:

Blues
Blue Wild Angel
Crash Landing
Every Way To Paradise
Isle Of Wight
Kiss The Sky
Live At Clark University
Live At Winterland
Live At The Oakland Coliseum
Live At The Fillmore East
Morning Symphony Ideas
Radio One
Rescued From Randall's Island
South Saturn Delta
Stone Free
War Heroes
West Coast Seattle Boy

And I think that's it, actually. Looks like more when I scroll through my library. I never got into the bootlegs. Sound was too muddy considering Jimi's style.

It's actually kinda funny that that's not even close to all that's out there now.

Victim of The Night
When I started collecting records in the early 90s, when I received my uncle's guidance, I didn't want live albums. Outside of Live at Leeds I didn't like any that I had ever heard. This eventually changed, and you'd think that after I realized I much preferred Hendrix live recordings to his studio output, I might move towards Band of Gypsies at some point. But by then it had been on my list for so long that it lost its lustre and seemed like a record from a bygone era I'd moved past from. I generally buy very little 'classic rock' anymore, even if Hendrix breaks out of pigeonholing him like that.
I actually totally understand that.
Despite being a huge fan of the Dead, I really only listened to their studio albums for like 20 years after getting into them. Let that sink in. A Dead fan that doesn't listen to any of their live music.
I did love Dead Set and One From The Vault but I actually thought their studio recordings were so perfect I didn't wanna hear "diminished" versions of those. I had gotten a bootleg and very few of the songs that night sounded that good and I wasn't into 15-minute jazz jam sessions yet, so I just quit there.
Now, I still LOVE their studio recordings and I think Dead fans who say they don't like them and that's not the spirit of the band and all that are ****ing idiots (and I'm close friends with a lot of them) but I've come to really appreciate, very, very deeply, what they were doing live and it's really a huge part of the way I play music myself (the philosophy, not the actual music).
And to you and Captain Terror:
It's funny, my friend, Kate, was over the other night and she said, "Ya know, I don't think I could be friends with someone who didn't like The Grateful Dead. I just wouldn't trust them."
Which I get because listening to the Dead is as much Philosophical and Spiritual as it is Musical. And I might say that about Jimi, too.