Happy Halloween! SJW's are whining about 'cultural appropriation'...

Tools    

Apparently, it is now a 'Halloween/October Tradition' for SJW's to whine about something they call 'Cultural Appropriation' every October (I've posted two articles below and there are many, many more such articles).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tume/#comments

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1603...n-hurts-us-all

However, before examining their arguments (which are universally stupid and nonsensical), it is necessary to ask; 'Is it possible to "appropriate" a culture'???

(The short answer is; NO)

When used as a verb (which it appears to be in this case), the term 'appropriate' means to; "verb əˈprōprēˌāt/ take (something) for one's own use, without the owner's permission." Since it is impossible to "take" a person's culture by using elements (such as traditions, food, art, manner-of-dress, etc.) from that culture, it is therefore impossible to "appropriate" a culture.

For example;

If a commercial-driver of Mexican ethnicity (and possibly nationality) and myself, who is mostly of Scotch-Irish descent, both receive loads going from Ontario, California to Ontario, Canada, both realize that we don't have enough cold weather clothing, and he purchases a Scotch-Irish sweater, while I purchase a wool poncho (I actually own several), neither of us has "taken" the other's culture since he is still free to purchase as many traditional Mexican ponchos as he desires and I am still free to purchase as many traditional Scotch-Irish sweaters as I desire. In short, the ability of neither party to enjoy a culture, in whole or in part, has been diminished by the fact that others use elements of that culture. The same holds true for art, language, culinary traditions, etc. If a person of Mexican descent makes corned-beef and a person of Scotch-Irish descent makes a burrito, neither the Mexican nor the Scotch-Irishman has been prevented from making their ethnicities "traditional/cultural dish" then, or in the future...

As a matter of fact, the more people use the physical elements of a culture, the less-expensive it should be for the ethnic members of that culture (and everyone else) to purchase the same items due to economy of scale. If only true 'native-Americans' were permitted to purchase buck-skin jackets, the small market would make it inefficient to produce these on an industrial-scale and they would be very expensive. Instead, myself and many other non-Natives own buck-skin jackets, expanding the market for these items, making it worthwhile to produce them on an industrial-scale, and therefore, making them less-expensive for true Native-Americans to purchase as well.

Also, cultural "borrowing" usually (as in "almost-always") goes both ways, illustrated by the fact that the same Native American who sold me the jacket was wearing jeans, which were invented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss, a pair of (very) White men...

It doesn't make any difference if the Mexican driver wears his sweater, the Native American merchant wears his jeans, or I wear my poncho on October 31, or any other day....
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force. ~Ayn Rand

Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis!!! Si vis pacem, para bellum!!!

Unless/until you demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics you preach about, nobody's going to give a crap about these rants. Even people like myself who might be inclined to agree with them.

Unless/until you demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics you preach about, nobody's going to give a crap about these rants. Even people like myself who might be inclined to agree with them.
How do my multiple examples NOT "demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics (I) (philosophize) about"???

Did you actually read what I wrote?

I mean; 'Read what I wrote, did you???'

Apparently, it is now a 'Halloween/October Tradition' for SJW's to whine about something they call 'Cultural Appropriation' every October (I've posted two articles below and there are many, many more such articles).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tume/#comments

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1603...n-hurts-us-all

However, before examining their arguments (which are universally stupid and nonsensical), it is necessary to ask; 'Is it possible to "appropriate" a culture'???

(The short answer is; NO)

When used as a verb (which it appears to be in this case), the term 'appropriate' means to; "verb əˈprōprēˌāt/ take (something) for one's own use, without the owner's permission." Since it is impossible to "take" a person's culture by using elements (such as traditions, food, art, manner-of-dress, etc.) from that culture, it is therefore impossible to "appropriate" a culture.

For example;

If a commercial-driver of Mexican ethnicity (and possibly nationality) and myself, who is mostly of Scotch-Irish descent, both receive loads going from Ontario, California to Ontario, Canada, both realize that we don't have enough cold weather clothing, and he purchases a Scotch-Irish sweater, while I purchase a wool poncho (I actually own several), neither of us has "taken" the other's culture since he is still free to purchase as many traditional Mexican ponchos as he desires and I am still free to purchase as many traditional Scotch-Irish sweaters as I desire. In short, the ability of neither party to enjoy a culture, in whole or in part, has been diminished by the fact that others use elements of that culture. The same holds true for art, language, culinary traditions, etc. If a person of Mexican descent makes corned-beef and a person of Scotch-Irish descent makes a burrito, neither the Mexican nor the Scotch-Irishman has been prevented from making their ethnicities "traditional/cultural dish" then, or in the future...

As a matter of fact, the more people use the physical elements of a culture, the less-expensive it should be for the ethnic members of that culture (and everyone else) to purchase the same items due to economy of scale. If only true 'native-Americans' were permitted to purchase buck-skin jackets, the small market would make it inefficient to produce these on an industrial-scale and they would be very expensive. Instead, myself and many other non-Natives own buck-skin jackets, expanding the market for these items, making it worthwhile to produce them on an industrial-scale, and therefore, making them less-expensive for true Native-Americans to purchase as well.

Also, cultural "borrowing" usually (as in "almost-always") goes both ways, illustrated by the fact that the same Native American who sold me the jacket was wearing jeans, which were invented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss, a pair of (very) White men...

It doesn't make any difference if the Mexican driver wears his sweater, the Native American merchant wears his jeans, or I wear my poncho on October 31, or any other day....

How do my multiple examples NOT "demonstrate thoughtfulness and responsiveness on the topics (I) (philosophize) about"???
Well, first, "responsiveness" cannot, by definition, be demonstrated in the initial post. It's demonstrated (or not) based on how you acknowledge or engage with replies and/or criticism. And in the past, you've basically completely refused to do so. You also have a history of posting lots of incendiary, easily-refuted nonsense.

So while I don't have much in the way of criticism about this particular thread (though the "whining" in the title is unnecessary), I'm not holding out a lot of hope that this'll be much different than anything else you've posted if anyone replies to it seriously.

So while I don't have much in the way of criticism about this particular thread (though the "whining" in the title is unnecessary),

Nearly every 'argument' put forth by SJW's centers around the fact that they are "offended" by something.

Stephen Fry has assessed 'arguments' that are built upon personal offense and has correctly concluded that they are "nothing more then a whine"...

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.'"
Therefore, I would have to say that "whining" is an accurate description of every 'argument' spewed forth by the SJW movement since all their 'arguments' are based on claims of 'personal offense' by very "sensitive" (thin-skinned) individuals...

See? I answered your question directly, and you chose to respond only to a largely meaningless aside about whether the word "whining" was called for, ignoring the actual point. Thanks for providing a perfect demonstration of what I was talking about.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Well, first, "responsiveness" cannot, by definition, be demonstrated in the initial post. It's demonstrated (or not) based on how you acknowledge or engage with replies and/or criticism. And in the past, you've basically completely refused to do so.
Nearly every 'argument' put forth by SJW's centers around the fact that they are "offended" by something.
Case in point.

Originally Posted by DAnconiaLead
Stephen Fry
Leave Stephen Fry out of this.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Using the term 'SJW' in 2016 without a hint of irony and expecting meaningful discourse?

All I have to say is, my Damon Wayans video was spot-on and should have gotten some reps. Now thats the real travesty going on here!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I had to look up "SJW" - I'm guessing others didn't know but wouldn't ask. It means "Social Justice Warrior".

It's not a good sign when "justice" isn't considered a positive thing. I'm sure the image or person in your head isn't a good one, but no one is perfect, but if someone does good, let them wear their dreadlocks, even if what they do is pretentious. It's better than being pretentious and being a fan of injustice.

I think Yoda hangs out with some very trendy and liberal people. He tends to dismiss right-wing views too quickly, and spouts his analytical bile to deflect the issue. I wouldn't class him as an SJW (he's not stupid), but he meets the description of a hipster, could be transgender or bisexual as well.

If trick-or-treaters come onto my porch, is it then considered a "safe space"?

If a child wears an ISIS costume and I see it, should I say something?

I know no one hands out apples anymore, but was a single razor blade EVER found inside one that was given out on Halloween?

If trick-or-treaters come onto my porch, is it then considered a "safe space"?

If a child wears an ISIS costume and I see it, should I say something?

I know no one hands out apples anymore, but was a single razor blade EVER found inside one that was given out on Halloween?
I remember a local story from years ago when arsenic or something similar was found in a Halloween bag. The kids didn't die fortunately, but still it happened at least once in the Cleveland area once in my life.

But as to the OP's post, yes the article I read is ridiculous. Cultural appropriation is a silly idea, and there are people in this world that just can't lighten up and see something at face value. Not everything is some sort of slight to a social minority. People who try and find imaginary racism, sexism, homophobia, species-ism, or whatever in every word, phrase, work of art, etc need to get a life. Halloween costumes are just that. Costumes. You don't like the costume don't buy it. But don't try and spoil the fun for other people.

There i summarized the op's post. Sweet and simple.