My Favorite Susan Sarandon Performances

Tools    

Her talent as an actress is as solid as her political conscience. One of the best actresses in the business, who actually got her start on a soap opera called A World Apart. She made her film debut in the 1970 film Joe but her career took off when she agreed to star in a bizarre musical comedy that became a midnight movie house phenomenon that millions experience every weekend at midnight. Her work has earned her one Oscar, five Oscar nominations, nine Golden Globe nominations, and six Emmy nominations. After close to half a century in the business, she is still one of the most sought after actresses in the industry and is pretty much incapable of giving a bad performance. And now, my favorite performances of the fabulous Susan Sarandon.

It was good to see her in Children of Dune, as the second 'name' actor following William Hurt in the first miniseries.

I think The Witches of Eastwick is my favourite. Light Sleeper 's coming to mind as well.

I really liked her in Atlantic City (1980) with Burt Lancaster. Haven't cared much for her since.

I'm sure her agent gets heartburn every time Sarandon shoots off her mouth about her politics; although in Hollywood that has apparently become de rigueur.

Judith Singer, Compromising Positions

Sarandon was a standout element of this black comedy playing a housewife and former journalist who finds herself up to her neck in the murder of a philandering dentist (Joe Mantegna) who was having affairs with several of his patients.

Bebe, The Big Wedding

Sarandon is a lot of fun as the girlfriend of a guy (Robert DeNiro) who has agreed to to pretend to still be married to his ex (Diane Keaton) as a favor to his future son-in-law and has agreed to stay away from the wedding...as if that's going to happen.

Jessica Lockhart, Friends

Sarandon was hysterical as a soap opera diva who starts working with Joey (Matthew LeBlanc) onscreen as well as off, but things go haywire when she gets fired from the soap.

Liz, Alfie (2004)

Sarandon was the best thing about this so-so remake of the 1966 Michael Caine classic playing a wealthy socialite who refuses to be just another notch on the bedpost of a sexy player (Jude Law).

Pearl, Tammy

Sarandon somehow maintained her dignity in this silly comedy playing the grandmother of a recently fired fast food employee (Melissa McCarthy) who convinces her granddaughter to let her join her on a wild road trip because Pearl has $6700.

Florence Aadland, The Last of Robin Hood

Sarandon goes the Mama Rose route in this fact-based Hollywood drama playing the mother of a wannabe starlet (Dakota Fanning) who pretty much pimps out her daughter to matinee idol Errol Flynn (Kevin Kline).

Beverly Clark, Shall We Dance (2004)

Sarandon brought more substance to this role than the screenplay provided playing a housewife who hires a private detective when she suspects her husband (Richard Gere) is having an affair but is totally thrown when she learns he's taking ballroom dancing lessons instead.

Queen Narissa, Enchanted

Sarandon really chewed up the scenery as a fairy tale witch who travels to modern day Manhattan to capture an animated Princess (Amy Adams) who fell down a hole and found herself in New York.

Gladys Mortenson, The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe

Sarandon gives a gutsy performance as the mentally unstable mother of movie star Marilyn Monroe in this TV movie.

Dr. Sarah Roberts, The Hunger

Sarandon heated up the screen as a doctor who becomes involved in a romantic triangle with a vampire (Catherine Deneuve) and her husband (David Bowie).

Lavinia Kingsley, The Banger Sisters

Susan and Goldie Hawn play former rock groupies who reunite after 20 years to learn that they are very different people.