Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

As you say I thought (after numerous recommendations) that I'd have to endure this film "understandingly" like i had to for "Life is Sweet"

No chance, it's a triumph.

Megan Leavey (2017)

+

A little better and more meaningful than the average dog movie. Because of that I noticed when it seemed to get a little over dramatic. I would have given a full extra popcorn if it were about a real dog like a Pomeranian instead of a German Shepherd.

The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913)

-

29 minute D. W. Griffith short featured on the top 100 westerns list. I figured it was on that list due to the director and it's age. That may be the case but I thought it was fast paced and entertaining.

[quote=Gideon58;2023717]Weekend re-watches:

Can't remember what I rated Moonlight Gideon or if even i did. i need to rewatch soon, it was such an affecting movie. Even as a straight guy the last 30 mins was truly breathtaking.

Eyes Wide Shut - 7.5/10
I still have this on VHS - I got it a year after it came out. This time I noticed how bad the acting was. Hell, the least worst actor was a director! (Pollack)
Bad acting? Did we watch the same movie? One of my all-time favorites.

A severely underrated comedy from the 1980's which features a brilliant screenplay and an enchanting performance from Rosanna Arquette.
Great movie. Madonna drying her pits under a dryer in the Ladies Room was hilarious.

Re-watch of an excellent classic. Made in 1975 & amazingly prescient.

Unintentionally hilarious. Excellent re-watch.

A classic. Re-watch.

Reading both your reviews now. After that watching 3 Days of the Condor, coincidence @ Stirchley.
3 Days of the Condor was cool. I didn't love it like Stirchley, but yeah well worth watching.

The Running Man - 1987

Man was this 80s. Saw it on AMC the other night. Commericals were annoying me so I finished it online. It was very interesting but man it wasn't very good ha. The acting left a lot to be desired, especially the lead chick, ouch. But I read she was a singer. Some painful Arnold catchphrases that rival his bad ones in Batman and Robin. But I'll hand it to the movie that it was entertaining even if it was a bad mess. I actually think there could be a good movie somewhere in this in the right hands in a remake. Well at least a better executed film with a lot better special effects. Also Jim Brown is the man lol.

Anyways, it's entertaining enough to keep your attention, but man the story and acting and out dated effects really hurt it. But definitely quintessential 80s movie.

I'd give it a weak 2 out of 5.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Shazam - 2019

I was looking forward to catching this one. Meant to go to the theaters. But I am starting to cool on the superhero flicks to the point I can wait for them to come out on streaming. Anyways the film was a lot of fun. Levi looked like he was having a blast. And the two lead kids really did a good job. The whole concept that he is just a kid and just says Shazam to become a superhero while staying a kid is really cool. I wasn't familiar with Shazam which really helps you to enjoy the end more when you are ignorant to the comics. The end was the best part to me, I didn't see that coming even though it was pretty obvious. But they executed it well to me.

I thought Strong did well....strong...work as the villain. His power and how he got it was cool and he felt justified in wanting to end Billy Batson. I am not sure how they move forward with Shazam but they definitely should have held off and took their time with the Justice League. Shazam and Levi would have brought a lot of levity and fun to that team up. Plus with the success of Aquaman and Wonder Woman and Superman and Batman established it would have fared better to me.

Also it was nice to see Philly as the setting instead of generic New York. It certainly wasn't flawless. It had some bumps along the first half of the movie I don't think were handled great. But it knew what it was and was confident in what it was. Fun movie. I am down to see another one. Definitely my 2nd favorite DCEU movie behind Wonder Woman. (Well if we aren't counting Nolan's batmans)

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. Almost 4 quality.

PS. I always forget about Meagan Good but she has to be the sexist black chick ever. Any race ever really.

His Prehistoric Past (Charles Chaplin, 1914)

Laughing Gas (Charles Chaplin, 1914)

Knockabout but neither knockout

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz (Otis Turner, 1910)

Early example that you don't necessarily need a brain to be put in charge

Yesterday I saw Hotel Mumbai (2018) , a breathtaking thriller! Love movies based on real stories

The Wizard Of Oz (Larry Semon, 1925)

Far more emphasis on the light-hearted and slapstick makes it far less magical than the later classic version