Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Possession (1981, Andrzej Zulawski)

What a relentlessly gut-wrenching, frenetic, macabre whirlwind of a movie this is! Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neill at the top of their respective games, amazing direction and cinematography, a few iconic, unforgettable scenes that you can't unsee - it's quite a ride, and one you will not easily forget. Bizarre, unbridled masterpiece!

The Mondo Vision bluray looks stunning - highly recommended, if you like the film!

I have this movie and have been meaning to see it, but I've been dealing with insomnia, flu, etc., for the past 5 weeks. Is this a movie that is easy to follow, and is it all in English? Your high rating bumped it up to my present want.

I have this movie and have been meaning to see it, but I've been dealing with insomnia, flu, etc., for the past 5 weeks. Is this a movie that is easy to follow, and is it all in English? Your high rating bumped it up to my present want.
Yes, it is all in English but it is one crazy, hysterical, twisted, disorienting movie, an assault on the senses, if you will - that much I can tell you. It is also very polarizing as far as I can tell, so I can't promise you won't be disappointed. It's more than just a movie - it's an experience, a cinematic statement you can either take or leave. I thought it was brilliant in how it allegorically portrays the traumatic psychological experience of a dysfunctional, disintegrating family teetering on the precipice of divorce.

The girl in the box (2016)

Pretty gritty and watcheable tale of an abduction and modern slavery. Not great and in a small scale but followable having known nothing about the real-life case.

Blow Me Down (Dave Fleischer & Willard Bowsky, 1933)

Me Musical Nephews (Seymour Kneitel, 1942)
+
Toot toot!

Amores perros (2000)

Episodic and powerful Mexican drama. One incident brings the protagonists fortunes together. So well shot and acted.

Cinema Paradiso (1988)

I always thought this looked a bit whimsical for my taste and I'm also not generally a fan of movies with kids as main characters. However, I thought this might be a special exception after reading member's thoughts over the years, and special it was. The kid was actually adorable and Alfredo one of the most likable characters I've seen. It's a great movie for people who love movies.

Spoilers
Halfway through it changes; the kid is now a teen and Alfredo is different. I thought oh no, don't change, but the movie had to grow and it never missed a beat. The ending is bittersweet, and for once I was yearning for the happy ending, practically begging for Elena to appear. It's because of how much I cared for the characters. It's still a great ending. I understand there's a different version out there that I'd like to see sometime.

The Expedition (Abhijaan) (1962) by Satyajit Ray

My ninth film by Ray was not on par with his best. Despite that it was a good melodrama with some great shots. Subpar level Satyajit Ray, is better than most films. The Expedition seemed like an Indian version of earlier Italian Neorealist films, with class conscious comments, for instance critique of the caste system. Similarities with later great American films like Taxi Driver (1976) and The Mule (2018), makes this an interesting watch, albeit not one of Rays masterpieces.

Dark love 7/10

Merry-Go-Round (Rupert Julian & Erich von Stroheim, 1923)

Overly melodramatic but does contain some enjoyable monkey-business

The Blacksmith (Buster Keaton & Malcolm St. Clair, 1922)
+
Patchy but not too shoddy

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★
Great use of ellipsis!
Powerful acting all around!

★★★★
An exercise in style. Stunning camerawork.

★★★
Weird third act, almost killed the entire movie, hats off to Rutger Hauer and Sly!

★★★★★
Masterpiece!
Can't go wrong with Howard Hawks!

★★★★
One of those films I watch every year since I was a kid. The ending still strong, the film still entertainment and for the first time ever, I watched in High Definition, it was an amazing experience!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Eyes Wide Shut - 7.5/10
I still have this on VHS - I got it a year after it came out. This time I noticed how bad the acting was. Hell, the least worst actor was a director! (Pollack)

Weekend re-watches:

4th Re-watch...still not sure it deserved the Best Picture Oscar, but it gets better with each viewing and the final 30 minutes are the best final 30 minutes of a movie EVER!

A severely underrated comedy from the 1980's which features a brilliant screenplay and an enchanting performance from Rosanna Arquette.

Stiller and Aniston make a cute couple, but if the truth be told, the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman steals the show as Stiller's self-absorbed BFF