The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Playtime 8 hours, by the way, so it ain't a long game.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Dipping my toe into No Man's Sky (on creative -- I'm a wuss). Coupla questions...

1. I can't seem to figure out how to open damaged containers that I keep finding. Holding the E key simply zooms in on them. Other containers open easily and I seem to auto-take whatever is inside. But the damaged containers won't open (clearly because they're damaged, duh). I tried zapping the rusted locks to no avail.

What am I missing? Something obvious, I'm sure.

2. I've seen multiple ships fly overhead. Are those actually other players or are they NPC-type things?

3. Also, I fed a bunch of not-adorable skittish big crab-like creatures and now they love me. What the heck was I feeding them? Since when am I carrying around crab food?

The exploration is going to be fun, I think.

Oh, one more question. Can't seem to open the door to my own ship to get inside! Gahhh. Clearly I chose wisely when I became an English major in school. I have no aptitude for anything mechanical.

A system of cells interlinked
Dipping my toe into No Man's Sky (on creative -- I'm a wuss). Coupla questions...

1. I can't seem to figure out how to open damaged containers that I keep finding. Holding the E key simply zooms in on them. Other containers open easily and I seem to auto-take whatever is inside. But the damaged containers won't open (clearly because they're damaged, duh). I tried zapping the rusted locks to no avail.

What am I missing? Something obvious, I'm sure.

2. I've seen multiple ships fly overhead. Are those actually other players or are they NPC-type things?

3. Also, I fed a bunch of not-adorable skittish big crab-like creatures and now they love me. What the heck was I feeding them? Since when am I carrying around crab food?

The exploration is going to be fun, I think.

1. I have just been ignoring those, so...no clue!

2. Most likely NPCs, as the chance of randomly running into another player in game is around the same chance as winning Powerball.

3. How did you feed the creatures? I have a quest to do that...You probably feed them an element, I am thinking?

Have fun doing the Awakenings quest line! That will set you up for a few key things.

Oh, one more question. Can't seem to open the door to my own ship to get inside! Gahhh. Clearly I chose wisely when I became an English major in school. I have no aptitude for anything mechanical.
Just hold down your action button (I use a controller with my PC so I am unsure what it is on keyboard..E maybe?)

Yes, it's the E key to do most things. How did I not try that yet? I kept stupidly hitting the left mouse button and thereby was zapping it with the ray gun. NOT COOL.

I fed the creatures accidentally. I ran up to a few, who didn't seem inclined to attack me (is that a Creative mode thing or were they simply a peaceful species?)... and it gave me the E-button option to "Feed," so I did. Then a happy-smiley face icon appears over the head of any animal you feed. And it seemed the others around the ones you feed are now curious and start to come up to you. Kinda like going to a petting zoo.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Finished Bloodstained a wee while ago ..... and I haven't been as disappointed in a game's ending in a long time.

Didn't realise going in that the game has different endings depending on what items you pick up and what things you arbitrarily choose to attack. My ending (one of the 'bad' ones) consisted of a 20 second cutscene followed by a Game Over screen and then booting me back to the main menu. Thanks Bloodstained.

So much to recommend but, ultimately, such a kick in the nads.
Not trying to be a smart ass, I promise, but what kind of an ending were you expecting? Was it reasonable? Or was it like Hamburglar runs out and farts, giggles, then runs off screen type of ending that didn't really have anything to do with anything?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Gotcha. Even on survival mode, most of the beasties won't attack unless provoked, at least so far.

Once you get your analysis visor, make sure to dig up any Natural Burial Sites you see (icon is yellow), as the bones sell for a ton of units on space stations. Also, as Taccy said, try to get an upgrade for your scanner soon too, as you get a ton more units per species discovered etc.I kind of like exploring around and trying to catalog the various species and plants etc.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Gotcha. Even on survival mode, most of the beasties won't attack unless provoked, at least so far.
Keep exploring. Keep exploriiiiiing

Okay, I'm still piddling around. I keep starting new games hoping to get a better planet. Do any of them actually have, umm, greenery? Like, grass? Or are they all rock-like ugly things with Little Shop of Horrors plants and reptilian animals that skulk around and want to be fed?

Honestly, four planets, including one I flew to on my own, and aside from the colors and temperature, they all feel the same.

Apparently you simply hover over a damaged container's Jn (junk) icon and then just take what's inside. And apparently the rusted metal that's usually there is worth a lot and can be refined and used elsewhere. Who knew?

Okay, I'm still piddling around. I keep starting new games hoping to get a better planet. Do any of them actually have, umm, greenery? Like, grass? Or are they all rock-like ugly things with Little Shop of Horrors plants and reptilian animals that skulk around and want to be fed?

Honestly, four planets, including one I flew to on my own, and aside from the colors and temperature, they all feel the same.
When I was playing there was an algo that meant you got more extreme variations the more you travelled. Or so they said, and it did seem that way. Certainly you'd never spawn on a lush planet at any rate, but would start finding them after a few hops.

When I was playing there was an algo that meant you got more extreme variations the more you travelled. Or so they said, and it did seem that way. Certainly you'd never spawn on a lush planet at any rate, but would start finding them after a few hops.
This seems to be exactly what happened. I finally got some sort of quest invite to go find an ancient ruin "off planet," so I fired up my jalopy and headed there. It was sketchy (I'm a terrible driver if I don't have painted lines on actual roads, ha ha), but I tagged the spot and made it there in one piece. (Creative mode makes that possible for me.)

And it was more like our planet, though the colors were different. Grass, trees, several types of animals... and although I had to journey nearly 25,000 units, I finally found a landing pad for the Korvak and talked to a few of them (I know a whole 15 words). I even traded up on my ship, though now it's uglier than the one I had.

I still haven't figured out what all the little icons mean on the compass, but I'm slowly figuring those out too. Are there NPC humans, or are all the NPCs aliens?

This seems to be exactly what happened. I finally got some sort of quest invite to go find an ancient ruin "off planet," so I fired up my jalopy and headed there. It was sketchy (I'm a terrible driver if I don't have painted lines on actual roads, ha ha), but I tagged the spot and made it there in one piece. (Creative mode makes that possible for me.)

And it was more like our planet, though the colors were different. Grass, trees, several types of animals... and although I had to journey nearly 25,000 units, I finally found a landing pad for the Korvak and talked to a few of them (I know a whole 15 words). I even traded up on my ship, though now it's uglier than the one I had.

I still haven't figured out what all the little icons mean on the compass, but I'm slowly figuring those out too. Are there NPC humans, or are all the NPCs aliens?
I only ever found aliens...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not trying to be a smart ass, I promise, but what kind of an ending were you expecting? Was it reasonable? Or was it like Hamburglar runs out and farts, giggles, then runs off screen type of ending that didn't really have anything to do with anything?
WARNING: "Bloodstained" spoilers below
Basically, the main character gets a couple of lines after defeating the big boss, who'd been built up the entire game. Then an abrupt Game Over screen and back to the main menu. Not even any credits.

If you don't want spoilers, don't watch this - although there's hardly any exposition to spoil.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Oh okay. I see. But...

Seriously though, yeah That's abrupt. Totally get it now. But wow if that fight isn't the smoothest I've seen! Is that the moon in the background with a chunk of it missing? Or is it just stained with blood?

Thanks for explaining.

Alright well the TG-16 reveal came out...

American games:
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II
Japanese PC Engine games:
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Thoughts -

Well it's a good news/bad news type of thing for me. The good news is they didn't go comprehensive no Keith Courage, Legendary Ax, Splatterhouse, DevilCrush, etc so you've still got stuff to collect for.

It's got a great shooter group
  1. Aldynes
  2. Chō Aniki
  3. Fantasy Zone
  4. Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  5. Gradius
  6. Gradius II
  7. Salamander
  8. Star Parodier
  9. Super Darius
  10. Super Star Soldier
  11. Air Zonk
  12. Blazing Lazers
  13. Lords Of Thunder
  14. Psychosis
  15. R-Type
  16. Space Harrier

The Bad news...Japanese RPG's

1. Jaseiken Necromancer
  2. Snatcher
  3. Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
The really good news,

1. Ys I&II
  2. Parasol Stars
  3. Ninja Spirit
  4. Ninja Gaiden
  5. New Adventure Island
  6. Neutopia II
  7. Neutopia
  8. Military Madness
  9. Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts
  10. Dungeon Explorer
  11. Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood
  12. Bonk’s Revenge
  13. Bomberman Panic Bomber
  14. Bomberman ‘94
  15. Bomberman ‘93
  16. Alien Crush
It would be worth it for the shooters or the non-shooters I don't know about the sports games and I wish we would have gotten Godzilla CD game but this is easily the best mini system ever released

Another vid that might have cross-over appeal. Been messing around in LA Noire VR some more now I've fixed the glitches that were stopping me free-roaming.

The literal hands-on driving (steering & pulling old school hand-brakes and that) around an open city is pretty grand

Shame there's like only one chase in the whole game. They really did cull the mission list right down. Someone really needs to hack & 'cops n robbers' mod into this thing

I am thinking the entire universe is alien, and I would posit that our characters aren't human, as well.

Even though I have only been to 2-3 solar systems so far, I have encountered a pretty diverse batch of planets. I started on a toxic planet with a lot of water (dive under the water when you get a chance, it's pretty awesome), and then I took off to a radiation planet second. At that point, the game was leaning on me pretty heavily to get a base going, so that's where my base ended up. It's just a small building I put in place so I can continue with the base building quests to get a ll the technology etc, for now. Once I find a lush planet, I will build a proper base as my permanent home.

That first system had three planets, and the third one was a giant barren planet, with just dust and a few minerals.

The next system I went to had a really cool frozen planet, and I tend to spend quite a bit of time in that system doing missions. Speaking of missions, I am proceeding along on both the Atlas and Artemis paths, which have both been really engaging so far. That said, I tend to get bogged down a lot on planets as I keep finding all sorts of hidden stuff/side missions to do, most of which end up giving me upgrades for my exosuit/multi-tool/ship.

A couple of hints:

Upgrade your exosuit with more slots at every new space station each time to travel to a new system. Inventory space is much needed!

Once you get your signal booster, use navigation data (found lying around on tables/desks in little polyhedrons/discs) too look for distress signals on planets, in hopes of finding a crashed ship to salvage. Fix only the pulse drive and launch booster, then head back to a space station to trade it to any of the random aliens that land their ships in the hanger. Again, inventory is good, and the first ship I traded for gave me about three times the space.

Process all your consumables (not sure this matters much in creative mode) to their most refined state, as they power stuff at a more efficient rate. For instance refine all carbon to condensed carbon, refine your sodium to sodium nitrate (to recharge your suit shields), and refine ferrite dust twice into pure ferrite and then magnetized ferrite.

To make units fast early, mine cobalt, refine it and sell the results on space stations. Also, mine salt, refine it to Chlorine, and sell it.

If you luck out and land on a planet with Natural Burial Sites, use your terrain manipulator to sig the bones up. Sell those, especially the purple and gold ones. Just watch out for pirates on the way back to the space station.

First thing to build at your base is the warp gate. That way, you can instantly travel to all the spaces stations you find from your home base.

Have fun!

Thanks, @Sedai! In Creative mode, a lot of these things don't seem to matter. No pirates. Nobody attacking me, etc. I've only ever left a planet once by ship. (I saw the other planets because I'd start a new game, hate the look or toxicity levels, and then immediately start another game. Clearly I have an issue with this sort of behavior, which explains why I tend to have about a dozen Minecraft worlds going at any given time.)

But once I get a better handle on the game, I'll start yet another go-round with a normal mode and see what happens. For instance, I don't have a clue how to operate a ship in space. That one time I did it (so far), since it was based on a quest to find a specific ruin on a specific planet, I had that purple icon to latch onto and follow and it got me there. But boy, it was a lot of ugly driving maneuvers to get me there!