The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Nope, but I just found you and sent a request.
Being the good worker that I am, I would never log into Steam while I am working!

*Accepts invite*

*Whistles*

there's a frog in my snake oil
We might even try to hook up for some multiplayer!

That said, I think that would work best once both people (or more if others want to play too!) are up to speed in the game. I still do a lot of futzing about in menus as I try to figure stuff out, so I presume multiplayer sessions would go a lot smoother without multiple people constantly saying "hold on a sec, I am trying to figure out X." Still I bet it would be fun to get several of us together to dork around on a planet or two sometime! We could build a base with no doors around @Golgot, for instance, or constantly destroy the terrain under @Tacitus' feet while he is under attack by some giant space beast!
I'm totally up for this when the VR & multiplayer expansion drops . (Which I'm guessing is this year. They normally don't drop their teases crazy far ahead of the update).

Sounds like it'd expand on what we can do together as well.

(Plus gives me time to remember how it all works too )

I'm totally up for this when the VR & multiplayer expansion drops . (Which I'm guessing is this year. They normally don't drop their teases crazy far ahead of the update).

Sounds like it'd expand on what we can do together as well.

(Plus gives me time to remember how it all works too )
Ah, I see...the "Beyond" update to come. No clue what that will bring, but I will catch up on the info when i get a few minutes!

Ah, I see...the "Beyond" update to come. No clue what that will bring, but I will catch up on the info when i get a few minutes!
Yeah there's basic multiplayer in now. (I think you can essentially join a friend's base, help them build etc. Not sure what the limits are right now). Seems like multiplayer expansion is the other big pillar of Beyond though yeah

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll definitely be up for some multiplayer, just need to make sure my game is clean from mods. No idea if they can bork multiplayer but you can never be too careful.

I'll definitely be up for some multiplayer, just need to make sure my game is clean from mods. No idea if they can bork multiplayer but you can never be too careful.
Please be aware you will freak me out mightily if you have a 'grow to the size of a dino' mod or anything comparable

(S'like Alice in Wonderland in VR I swear )

Please be aware you will freak me out mightily if you have a 'grow to the size of a dino' mod or anything comparable

(S'like Alice in Wonderland in VR I swear )
Nah, it was all convenience and graphics stuff. 10% of the materials needed for launching etc.

@Sedai - Elite recently overhauled the new player experience (with even more to come in another update soon) and it's a LOT more user friendly now.

Well, I got sucked back into NMS .... 2 hours worth.

Still the same experience for me - Love the exploration and the general vibe. Hate the flying, shooting, mining.

Positives outweigh the negatives though.

Nah, it was all convenience and graphics stuff. 10% of the materials needed for launching etc.

@Sedai - Elite recently overhauled the new player experience (with even more to come in another update soon) and it's a LOT more user friendly now.
I liked the game well enough, but it just sort of fell off for me pretty quickly. Being mostly focused on the ships wasn't enough to keep me playing, maybe? *Shrugs*

Well, I got sucked back into NMS .... 2 hours worth.

Still the same experience for me - Love the exploration and the general vibe. Hate the flying, shooting, mining.

Positives outweigh the negatives though.
Fair play. I have already sort of gotten away from a lot (but not all) of the mining, as I earned enough credits to start playing the economy, so I can just buy big stacks of whatever I need as far as materials are concerned. The ship battles, although clearly lighter and more arcade-like than Elite, are still pretty fun for me. Agree on the exploration - super fun so far!

Talking of space sims, there's a new X game out which isn't getting great reviews.

I'm curious .... but then again, I was curious about Rebirth and that one was rubbish.

Talking of space sims, there's a new X game out which isn't getting great reviews.

I'm curious .... but then again, I was curious about Rebirth and that one was rubbish.
Rebirth was impenetrable. I felt like I needed a doctorate in gaming to figure out what the hell to do.

This might be of interest. What it's like to noob in a completely familiar game mode:

This is Pavlov, essentially a rip off of CS:GO (and also the variant I'm more familiar with: Garrys Mod )

It's all immediately recognisable, but at the same time full of new challenges. Like how to bolt-reload the crappy WW1 rifle you've spawned with. And what to do when your fellow noob drops all their kit

(NB, suffers from the classic screen recording issue that I've recorded the wrong eye, so you don't see me looking down sights. Also the sound levels are terrible, of course )

Found a crashed ship in NMS. I repaired the pulse drive and launch thrusters and managed to get it to a space station without a deflector shield, even though I fell under attack by space pirates. The rest of the ship components were trashed, but I managed to trade it to an NPC that had landed nearby for his shiny ship. That ship, even though it was a minor upgrade as far as class rating, has a much larger inventory, and also came with an efficiency upgrade to the launch system. Now we are cooking with gas!

Found a crashed ship in NMS. I repaired the pulse drive and launch thrusters and managed to get it to a space station without a deflector shield, even though I fell under attack by space pirates. The rest of the ship components were trashed, but I managed to trade it to an NPC that had landed nearby for his shiny ship. That ship, even though it was a minor upgrade as far as class rating, has a much larger inventory, and also came with an efficiency upgrade to the launch system. Now we are cooking with gas!
Yeah being a junker is a fun side line

I kinda wonder whether they'll make larger craft repairable with the multiplayer expansion. Like a big project to try and get one of the crashed capital ships back up and running? Would be a fun challenge if they could make it work.

(PS I was always torn between looks and pragmatics when getting ships. That one has slightly more storage, but that one has '10x more badass' )

Yeah being a junker is a fun side line

I kinda wonder whether they'll make larger craft repairable with the multiplayer expansion. Like a big project to try and get one of the crashed capital ships back up and running? Would be a fun challenge if they could make it work.

(PS I was always torn between looks and pragmatics when getting ships. That one has slightly more storage, but that one has '10x more badass' )
I was definitely after more inventory space first, and badassery second at this point. Once I establish a bit more of a presence and take over an entire star system, I will worry more about getting a slick S class fighter. For now, I will take a tubby shuttle or hauler!

I have a lot of different things I want to do, but I keep getting sucked into a myopic trudge around a planet, digging up fossils (BIG MONEY!), cataloging aliens and basking in the acid rain. I do plan on finding a better system to hang out in, but not today!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
How time consuming is this game? Like, is this a mission-based system or you just wander around like The Long Dark and maybe you find something, maybe you don't; maybe if you find something it's usable, or maybe it's just to look at? How much time passes before you find anything to interact with and actually accomplish something? How much time do you spend per your average game session in this game and is that time enough to find, start, and finish anything like say finding the wreckage, repairing it, and trading it? How deep are the controls?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

How time consuming is this game? Like, is this a mission-based system or you just wander around like The Long Dark and maybe you find something, maybe you don't; maybe if you find something it's usable, or maybe it's just to look at? How much time passes before you find anything to interact with and actually accomplish something? How much time do you spend per your average game session in this game and is that time enough to find, start, and finish anything like say finding the wreckage, repairing it, and trading it? How deep are the controls?
The universe of No Man's Sky comprises 255 unique galaxies, which in turn comprise around 3 to 4 billion regions, each of which contain more than 122 and up to hundreds of star systems. All star systems feature from 1-6 planets and moons, and usually a single space station.

By my calculations (actually some guy on the internet's calculations that I am pretending are mine), that means there is approximately 18 Quintillion planets to explore, which should take the average person around 5 billion years of real time to visit.

As far as the game play, it's a true open universe sandbox, so you can play it however you like. There are several main quest progressions to follow along that hand out various missions and objectives. I currently have several of these going at once.

Finished Bloodstained a wee while ago ..... and I haven't been as disappointed in a game's ending in a long time.

Didn't realise going in that the game has different endings depending on what items you pick up and what things you arbitrarily choose to attack. My ending (one of the 'bad' ones) consisted of a 20 second cutscene followed by a Game Over screen and then booting me back to the main menu. Thanks Bloodstained.

So much to recommend but, ultimately, such a kick in the nads.