Get ready to say goodbye to Alfred E Neuman

Tools    

Poor guy 's not gone yet, but just about on life support. After 67 years with Al as the front man for Mad, the magazine will stop publishing new issues this fall. So except for 'repackaged' issues of old material for comic book stores and subscribers, the mag will fold; as will presumably A.E.N. - without ever having attained high political office- or telling us what his middle name was.

Herewith for your memory files is a final pic of our Mad mascot- suitable for framing or wrapping fish:

Well, that's a shame. Nothing lasts forever, and Alfred E., along with MAD, gave it hell for 67 years.

I got my first copy in the later 1950s, and I was immediately hooked and addicted. In those days it only came out 6-8 times a year, and some of the early versions were smaller sized-- more like Readers' Digest size. There was nothing else like it available-- true innovation: the satire, the jokes, the fabulous illustrations. It was really more of an underground publication then, having a counter culture feel, and I begged my mother to get me a subscription (which she did).

I eventually lost contact with Alfred, the newer formatting not as alluring as were the older. But MAD will rank along some of the great comics-cum-magazines in Americana history.

~Doc

Yeah, read about this yesterday and felt a touch sad.

I still have dozen or so issues, which I reread for fun sometimes. So many wonderful pieces and of course my favourite Spy vs Spy.

I also had this book MAD history of the world, or something like it when I was a kid. I don't remember the title of the book, and that's a shame cause someone stole it then, and I have been searching for the title but haven't had much success.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I read MAD Magazine when I was younger, but I haven't read it in a long time. I still have some of the old magazines and books around here somewhere, so at least I'll be able to pull them out and read them when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I read MAD Magazine when I was younger, but I haven't read it in a long time. I still have some of the old magazines and books around here somewhere, so at least I'll be able to pull them out and read them when I'm feeling nostalgic.
Send some to me, will ya?.. (jk)

Haven't read MAD in a while, but in the late 60's and all through the 70's I rarely missed an issue. I especially loved the movie parodies, but also dug "The Lighter Side" by Dave Berg, Spy vs. Spy, the "marginals" by Sergio Aragonés, and Don Martin. My favorite movie parody artist was Mort Drucker. Here's a bit of Drucker's art:

Farewell MAD. Thanks for the laughs!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Haven't read MAD in a while, but in the late 60's and all through the 70's I rarely missed an issue. I especially loved the movie parodies, but also dug "The Lighter Side" by Dave Berg, Spy vs. Spy, the "marginals" by Sergio Aragonés, and Don Martin. My favorite movie parody artist was Mort Drucker. Here's a bit of Drucker's art:

Farewell MAD. Thanks for the laughs!
I have that issue with The Oddfather in it! Plus a bunch of others...

Plus, a lovely statuette of Alfred himself...

I posted a reply to "Weird Al" Yankovic's heartfelt tweet on Twitter with the hashtag #ThanksMAD and that thread was so popular that my tweet got more than 13,000 impressions. Unheard of for me... so that told me how MAD's demise saddens everyone.

Oh, and I'm a current subscriber. (That's the latest issue on the left side of the picture just under the "Weird Al" guest editor issue.)