Artists Who Hate/Dislike One Of His/Her Movies?

Tools    

Steven Soderbergh dislikes his The Underneath (1995), a remake of Robert Siodmak's Noir Criss Cross (1949) starring Burt Lancaster.

I like the film much more than he does, though it isn't in the same class as his crime films that followed in Out of Sight and especially The Limey. However unengaged and lost he may have felt creatively I think that mood suits the material pretty well, and it certainly refocused him from that point onward. He is damn honest about voicing his opinion that it is mostly a failure.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wasn't that because he didn't have final cut?
Could be – when this happens it tends to be studio interference.

Wasn't that because he didn't have final cut?
I read about the problems with David Lynch's Dune before, so this is from memory: Lynch started out making Dune as a longer epic. That made sense as the novel is long and quite detailed. But during production the producer Dino De Laurentiis who had finally control, demanded that the film be kept to just over the 2 hour mark, so that a certain number of theater showings were possible in any given day. To maximize profits of course. That screwed up production as a longer film was in progress, so Lynch had to stop shooting planned scenes and other stuffed got cut or edited down. At one point Lynch insisted his name be taken off the film. He never use to talk about Dune in interviews, I don't know if that's changed or not.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I read about the problems with David Lynch's Dune before, so this is from memory: Lynch started out making Dune as a longer epic. That made sense as the novel is long and quite detailed. But during production the producer Dino De Laurentiis who had finally control, demanded that the film be kept to just over the 2 hour mark, so that a certain number of theater showings were possible in any given day. To maximize profits of course. That screwed up production as a longer film was in progress, so Lynch had to stop shooting planned scenes and other stuffed got cut or edited down. At one point Lynch insisted his name be taken off the film. He never use to talk about Dune in interviews, I don't know if that's changed or not.
Still one of the greatest sci-fi films ever, IMO! I will not repeat the story of my dad and his reaction to watching this on VHS when I was a kid. I've told that story twice now, here. At least I remembered this time.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I wonder if Picard's Pug will make a cameo?
Is that a euphemism??
If it is - then I, for one, hope not

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Is that a euphemism??
If it is - then I, for one, hope not

Not at all! That dog was actually brilliant at elaborate shell and jewelry crafting. I believe that was one of the many cut scenes, so most viewers never knew.

In the documentary DePalma, Brian DePalma reveals how disappointed he was with the final product of Raising Cane. He says it's a completely different film from the one he imagined in his head as production began.

Alfred Hitchcock was embarrassed by Under Capricorn. He later admitted that he was cocky and flattered at having landed Ingrid Bergman at a very handsome salary, to the film's detriment. The movie was wooden, with hardly any suspense.

Outside of the long takes, which were even longer and more complicated than those in Rope, the movie was pretty bland. He found Bergman very difficult to work with. He also believed that the male lead would have been much better from a more menacing actor than Joseph Cotton.

~Doc

The truth is in here
In the documentary DePalma, Brian DePalma reveals how disappointed he was with the final product of Raising Cain. He says it's a completely different film from the one he imagined in his head as production began.
I remember that. I think he expressed his dissatisfaction with Mission To Mars as well.

I can't agree with him too much though. I like both of those movies a bunch. Raising Cain made me a fan of John Lithgow, and Mission To Mars is one of my classic childhood movies, which I still had a lot of fun with when I revisited it.

Quentin Tarantino reportedly considers Death Proof his least movie. I'm not too fond of it either, since it's very slow and the main female characters are not very well-written. It's okay, but way below his other work. Stuntman Mike just about redeems it.

I heard George Clooney is not too fond of Batman and Robin (1997)
And Uma Thurman, Arnold Schwartzeneggar, Chris O'Donnell & Alicia Silverstone aren't too keen on acknowledging it either!

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I heard George Clooney is not too fond of Batman and Robin (1997)
And Uma Thurman, Arnold Schwartzeneggar, Chris O'Donnell & Alicia Silverstone aren't too keen on acknowledging it either!
Yep, Clooney came right out and said, "It was bad and I was bad in it."

Barbra Streisand hated every second of making What's Up, Doc? and Elizabeth Taylor often referred to the film for which she won her first Oscar, BUtterfield 8 "a piece of s**t".

I believe Gromit has on occasion been known to be quite harsh about his own performance in The Wrong Trousers.

Christopher Plummer has groused about his role as Georg and the iconic Sound Of Music as being too gooey and sentimental for his tastes. He does on occasion acknowledge that it was a beloved , well made movie, so perhaps he's half teasing, but he's nattered on about it for years. As a lover of the theatre, he'd much rather be playing Shakespeare 's King Lear or such. .

As a lover of classic wonderful movies, I personally would much rather be watching The Sound of Music.