December '15 Movie of the Month: GATTACA

Tools    

Thanks; yeah, all the credit in the world to Slappy and bluedeed, who had lots of insightful things to say. It helps that the film is so rich with this stuff. Which is exactly why I chose it! Hint hint to future Movie of the Month choosers. If you pick something with a lot to talk about, there's an excellent chance we'll do a podcast about it for you.

Glad the technical side came through. Sometimes it can't be helped (when we have to call someone on a land line, or someone halfway around the world), but in this case we were all in the United States and had similar technical setups.

What part of the Podcast do you spoil Her? When I listen to it, I wouldn't like Her spoiled for me.
Just about 15 seconds, from 20:50 to 21:10. Although it's more of an allusion to the ending (and I'm not sure it's the kind of film that can be ruined that way, anyway).

I'm totally gonna pick Antichrist when it's my turn, just to hear Yoda talk about it.

I'm totally gonna pick Antichrist when it's my turn, just to hear Yoda talk about it.
That would be an interesting podcast. It legit would be a good listen imo.

I've narrowed it down to that, Naked or Under the Skin. All would be interesting podcasts/discussions, I feel.

I've narrowed it down to that, Naked or Under the Skin. All would be interesting podcasts/discussions, I feel.
I vote Naked simply because I haven't seen it. I will be watching Gattaca this weekend and will chime in and listen to the cast then.

I've narrowed it down to that, Naked or Under the Skin.
This confirms that you're actually a 14-year old boy picking titles based entirely on how likely they sound to contain nudity.

This confirms that you're actually a 14-year old boy picking titles based entirely on how likely they sound to contain nudity.
Damn, you caught me. I was also considering nominating a Michael Bay film.

I'm glad it turned out well, it was easy to feel flustered at times because bluedeed and Yoda are both incredibly perceptive and better at nailing visual metaphors than I am.

But having conversations with people I can learn from are the exact kind of conversations I like, so a big thanks for having me on.

Just about 15 seconds, from 20:50 to 21:10. Although it's more of an allusion to the ending (and I'm not sure it's the kind of film that can be ruined that way, anyway).
I'll agree with this, I love Her, and I wouldn't want to stop anyone from seeing it, but it's hard to be spoiled in that manner.

This was my second viewing of Gattaca but had not watched it since its DVD release. I really didn't remember much about it past that it starred Hawke and Thurman. I enjoyed it but think it is quite cold. There are about three scenes in a row at the end that should get some sort of emotional response from me if I have engaged properly but no response came for me. I like the visuals and themes for sure. The absolutely sterile meticulous environment fits the story perfectly. Listen to the podcast if you want to hear these themes and visuals talked about in a thoughtful manner. I only caught a couple of the obvious metaphors like the staircase and the endless pool, but these guys go way deeper down the rabbit hole and it was a pleasure to listen to. I think Yoda hit the nail on the head for me when he said this movie is really about the story and not the characters. Which is what left me with the cold feeling for sure. I am glad I got back to this and would certainly recommend it to fans of thoughtful sci-fi.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Sure is easy to sound smart when you're talking to other smart people.

Just bumping this for anyone who's just getting back from around the holidays. Here's a direct link to the podcast; give it a listen!

I watched Gattaca years ago. It was a failure at the box office, but is a superb film.

Hi Pindrop, I see you're new ...Welcome to MoFo! BTW that's one scarey looking chicken
Thanks for the welcome. This is a result of Colonel Sander's evil genetic experimentation. The teeth allow him to feed his chickens more chicken; thus doubling the chicken content.