Candyman Reboot

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Jordan Peele has co-written a "spiritual sequel/reboot" to the 1992 horror film Candyman and will be producing the film alongside fellow co-writer Win Rosenfeld. However, directing the film will be Nia DaCosta.

Peele had this to say about the reimagining:
“The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre. Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker — and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend.”

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/c...le-1203037897/

He's got quite the busy schedule. Turning into a regular Guillermo del Toro over here. I am curious to see where he takes this.

This might just do nobody any good.
Lakeith Stanfield is, reportedly, also starring.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yahya Abdul Mateen II, who played Black Manta in Aquaman, is in final negotiations to play the new Candyman

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/m...an-1203144190/
Not bad. He was over the top and cheesy in Aquaman, but he could pull off menacing if need be.

Suspect's Reviews

The film has officially begun filming

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...begins-filming
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
With all the politically correct sensitivity in society lately, would Candyman work today, since the original makes the African American ghetto in Chicago seem very crime ridden and supernaturally possessed and all?

I remember that we have a VHS copy of this movie. I just hope that the reboot is good.

I remember that we have a VHS copy of this movie. I just hope that the reboot is good.
Jordan Peele is involved with this reboot, so it's likely going to be really good, even better than the original.

A bucket of anxiety
Jordan Peele is involved with this reboot, so it's likely going to be really good, even better than the original.
Anything could be better than the original in my opinion. I didn't care for it. I hope they have some stellar ideas.

A bucket of anxiety
With all the politically correct sensitivity in society lately, would Candyman work today, since the original makes the African American ghetto in Chicago seem very crime ridden and supernaturally possessed and all?
Well, the original also starred a black guy and the ghetto isn't necessarily suburban.

Welcome to the human race...
Consider that Candyman's origin story is that he's the victim of a hate crime so there's a pretty clear subtext involving the legacy of slavery (and how the subsequent disenfrachising of African-Americans has led to issues such as the aforementioned crime-ridden ghettos) and how choosing not to treat him or the legacy that he represents with the proper reverence or solemnity (i.e. by making a scary game out of saying his name in the mirror) causes the foolish to suffer violence or worse is kind of the point. At the very least, that should overrule the idea that Candyman itself is inherently problematic just because it takes place in a ghetto, though the fact that it's made by white creators and stars a white protagonist certainly means that there's unexplored potential to its race-based premise that black creators could readily explore.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I can't see anything by Dr. Manhattan. "Time to wake up, baby."

I liked Candyman a lot when I was younger, but don't remember it too much now apart from one of the best Philip Glass themes. The new trailer looks good, but I need a Tony Todd appearance to quench my nostalgia and make me grin like a little kid.

Never seen the original, plan on checking it out soon, but grew up aware of the movie and its premise. This trailer mind.... I'm sold. Really dug the trailer.

The trailer is quite attractive and makes one watch the movie. No idea, how the movie is going to be but the makers have created a really great trailer.

Saw it today. My thoughts: I thought it was an intelligent, socially conscious horror film that I enjoyed. I thought Nia DaCosta did a very good job directing the film, building on the legacy of the original Candyman and putting her own spin on it. The story was told in a smart and satisfying way. I felt the cast, especially Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Colman Domingo, gave effective and engaging performance For me, this is the 5th best film of the year so far. Highly recommended. My rating is a 9/10. Anyone else seen it yet?