Does ANYONE hate this film??

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Since 7thson's perfectly fine game ended up as another "let's discuss our favourite movies" thread, I thought I'd give the original idea another shot. And, yes, I have 7thson's permission to use his idea.

The rules are simple:

1. Name a film that you love and that you have gotten the impression that everybody else love too.

2. If another MoFoer does not like that movie or only thinks it is average, that person posts the reason(s) to why he/she does not like it. (If you do like the movie, keep it to yourself or start your own thread ).

3. After you have told us all why you didn't like the movie, you post another one yourself. Only rule: you have to like it A LOT and assume that most people would agree with you.

4. If no one has objected to the film within, say, 2-3 days - we have a MoFo classic on our hands. (Maybe we should list all these selections somewhere. What do you think?). The person responsible of posting the little miracle simply posts another one and the game continues.

Ok, I'll start.

The Bridge Over River Kwai

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
(Not to interrupt the flow of the game, but I think this is a pretty neat idea.)

I am having a nervous breakdance
[BUMP]

Originally Posted by Piddzilla

Does ANYONE hate this film?? Or at least think it's just so so??

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I've never heard of it. Is it similar to the movie called The Bridge On The River Kwai?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

i haven't seen it since i was a child!! i can't remember a single thing except for the distinctive whistling tune

I must say I did not really like this movie. I did not hate it mind you , but I think the casting was a bit, off base. Could be just me, but thats my 2 cents....

How about: (and i know it wont last long here , but I love it)

Flash Gordon 1980

Originally Posted by 7thson
I must say I did not really like this movie. I did not hate it mind you , but I think the casting was a bit, off base. Could be just me, but thats my 2 cents....

How about: (and i know it wont last long here , but I love it)

Flash Gordon 1980
One of my fave cult movies.

"Two enthusiastic thumbs way up!"

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I know I shouldn't say anything if I like it, but I feel the need to chime in. This is a really awesome movie. It is filled with camp and silliness, and yet it manages to maintain an extremely dark tone. It pays tribute and parodies the original Flash, and it has one of the big screen's greatest villains ever. Throw in an awesome score by Queen and you have not only a cult classic, but a good movie.

Lets put a smile on that block

Flash Gordon 1980
I DONT LIKE IT. ITS STUPID

How about....

Magnolia

I lurrrrve this film

Originally Posted by blibblobblib

How about....

Magnolia

I lurrrrve this film
While I respect your decision to hate this film, "Stupid is a bit general"
Please elaborate.

I too like Magnolia.

Lets put a smile on that block
While I respect your decision to hate this film, "Stupid is a bit general"
Please elaborate.

I too like Magnolia.
Oh i was only being rash. Its just a bit too....cheesy for me. I know it's meant to be a homage to the past flash gordon series but i just didnt enjoy it. it was a bit too strange and cheesy. felt like a feature length episode of Dr Who. Mind you i saw it ages ago, and i do enjoy Barberella now which is kind of on the same scale of weirdness so maybe i should see it again.

Im glad you like Magnolia. Its a wonderful film.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib

How about....

Magnolia

I lurrrrve this film
I didnt like Magnolia. It was too long, loud and obnoxious and that scene where everyone starts singing was embarrasing to sit through. It had some good scenes but overall it was too much of a turgid mess even halfway through. Blech!

Akira.

Oh, yeah. I hate Mgnolia. Thanks for asking!

Pretentious for the sake of being pretentious, overlong, horrible sound design, too many character types rather than full-formed characters, and the thick Altman hommages/rip-offs really, truly annoy me on a deep cinematic level.

Next: "You must remember this...."
Casablanca

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh, yeah. I hate Mgnolia. Thanks for asking!

Pretentious for the sake of being pretentious, overlong, horrible sound design, too many character types rather than full-formed characters, and the thick Altman hommages/rip-offs really, truly annoy me on a deep cinematic level.

Next: "You must remember this...."
Casablanca
You dont happen to hate Akira too, do you?

Edit: I dont really have a problem with multiple movies going at a time, but it could get out of hand. Unfortunately I dont hate Casablanca so I cant clear this up.

I thought you merely disliked Magnolia to a great and/or large extent, Holden?

Those who hate Casablanca are cold in the heart.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Casablanca has some pretty bad rear-projection scenes. Of course, it's excellent anyway, although Kong finds it to be a bit overpraised.

Originally Posted by Kong
Casablanca has some pretty bad rear-projection scenes. Of course, it's excellent anyway, although Kong finds it to be a bit overpraised.
Rear-projection? What are you talking about, Kong?

Edit: nevermind, I think I know the scenes you're talking about. Would that be like when Rick and Chick are driving the car in France and the background is clearly not the real location? I dont mind that cheesy effect actually. I heard somewhere that Casablanca was actually a "b" movie when it came out and became a classic through survival and imitation.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by linespalsy
Rear-projection? What are you talking about, Kong?
It's an old special effect technique. You see it used alot in old movies with car scenes. They would have the actors get in a car that wasn't really moving, and they would use a screen that a moving street scene projected on to it as a backdrop. Sometimes it can look pretty convincing, but it often looks like crap.

Kong only pointed it out, because it's really one of the few bad things you could say about Casablanca.