Suicide

Tools    

I'm researching for a paper and I need to find some films where suicide is depicted. Think you guys can toss some names of films around where suicide occurs? Suicide mainly as a result of guilt, but others might suffice.... thanks, I really appreciate it if you guys could help me.

M*A*S*H (1970)
'Night, Mother (1986)
After Hours (1985)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Harold & Maude (1971)
Cookie's Fortune (1999)
Short Cuts (1993)
It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
Ordinary People (1980)
The Hustler (1961)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Reuben, Reuben (1983)
Dead Poet's Society (1989)
The Hours (2002)
The Big Chill (1983)
The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
A Few Good Men (1992)
An Officer & A Gentleman (1982)
The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
Marathon Man (1976)
The Game (1997)
Heat (1995)
Inside Moves (1980)
The Virgin Suicides (1999)
Magnolia (1999)
Saturday Night Fever (1977)
Mishima (1985)
Groundhog Day (1993)
No Way Out (1987)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

"Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see

That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
the losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say

Suicide is painless

The sword of time will peirce our skins
it doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
the pain grows stronger, watch it grin

But suicide is painless

A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
Is it to be or not to be
and I replied, oh why ask me?

'Cause suicide is painless

And you can do the same thing if you please"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

thanks for the help, however, which of these is a successful suicide as a result of guilt?

Many of these the suicide does not play an intrical role in the story at all (I did not clarify) such as Royal Tenenbaums
and in some there is only a suicide attempt, not a suicide (Magnolia)

So I guess, what I'm asking for is really a suicide from guilt that plays an intrical part of the film (what i'm meaning is that it is a focus of the film or the film builds towards the event)

thanks

Ordinary People (1980) is probably exactly what you're looking for, and the suicides that end The Hustler (1961) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) may work perfectly as well. The theraputic "fake" suicide in M*A*S*H (1970) is also a great one, plus you could use those terrific lyrics (that most people raised on the TV show don't even know).

I am having a nervous breakdance
A Few Good Men. The J T Walsh character.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Sadly enough, I've never seen Ordinary People or MASH (I hate the TV show), so I'll have to check those out, thanks a lot...

Robert Altman's M*A*S*H is a brilliant movie and completely different in tone and wit from the ridiculously popular, watered-down television series. Whether you use it for your suicide example or not, you should definitely see it soon: a great flick.

Here're some plot spoliers about Ordinary People, so you can decide if it's worth pursuing....

WARNING: "Ordinary People" spoilers below
Timothy Hutton's character, Conrad Jarrett, is a withdrawn High School student who we learn has recently attempted suicide. His mother, played so very well by Mary Tyler Moore, is cold and uncaring, and Conrad's father, played by Donald Sutherland, is the other extreme but unable to offer any real help. Conrad decides to try pshyciatry, and begins sessions with Dr. Berger, played by Judd Hirsch.

Through most of the movie, the exact reason for Conrad's suicide attempt is left unanswered, though we know his perfect older brother (and Mom's clear favorite) was killed in a boating accident they suffered together. He has a breakthrough near the end of the film, after a girl he knew from his hospitalization actually succeeeds in suicide this time, and he tearfully realizes his attempt was the guilt of having survived the accident, coupled with anger at his brother for letting go and leaving him with the burden by himself.

Conrad's suicide is not successful, but it is very thorougly examined.

So, that's basically what the suicide portions of the narrative entail, and that is definitely the main crux of the movie. Hutton's performance deservedly won him an Oscar, and both Moore and Hirsch were nominated.

BANNED
How do we view the spoilers?

Girl Interrupted was based on a true story...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Great list, Holden.

This probably isn't what you're looking for, Mr. Fong, but here's a comedy with several suicide attempts: Better Off Dead
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Dearies --

You forgot the ALIEN movie in which Sigourney Weaver falls into a tub of molten something-or-other -- & the terminator flick where Arnie, in a rare moment of self-knowledge does the Right Thing for his movie public.

(Just looked in here to make sure I didn't need to call 911 for somebody)

Note that Dorothy Parker wrote:

Acids stain you.
Rivers are damp.
Razors pain you.
Drugs cause cramp.

Guns aren't lawful.
Nooses give.
Gas smells awful.
Might as well live.

Love & Kisses,
Jozie

Also, Green Guy -- when did I stop being a critic, Hmmmmm?
Hurt my feelings!

;-_o (Note long face and falling tear)

Jozie

Donnie Darko

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A Woman Under The Influence
Taxi Driver
Johnny Got His Gun
Lust For Life
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
And Justice For All....
The Godfather: Part II