2003 Oscar Winners - according to ME

Tools    

ok....we've had predictions, we've had nominations, now we have the WINNERS ACCORDING TO ME thread....who do you want to win - or think will win (differentiate if you want, i haven't)

thanks HP for the list (that's holden pike, not hewlett packard!!!)

n7of9's wish list

BEST PICTURE
Chicago
Gangs of New York
The Hours
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Pianist

BEST ACTOR
Adrien Brody, The Pianist
Nic Cage, Adaptation
Michael Caine, The Quiet American
Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York
Jack Nicholson, About Schmidt

BEST ACTRESS
Salma Hayek, Frida
Nicole Kidman, The Hours
Diane Lane, Unfaithful
Julianne Moore, Far From Heaven
Renee Zellweger, Chicago

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Chris Cooper, Adaptation
Ed Harris, The Hours
Paul Newman, The Road to Perdition
John C. Reilly, Chicago
Christopher Walken, Catch Me If You Can

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kathy Bates, About Schmidt
Julianne Moore, The Hours
Queen Latifah, Chicago
Meryl Streep, Adaptation
Katherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago

DIRECTOR
Rob Marshall, Chicago
Martin Scorsese, Gangs of New York
Stephen Daldry, The Hours
Roman Polanski, The Pianist
Pedro Almodovar, Talk To Her

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Todd Haynes, Far From Heaven
Jay Cocks, Steve Zaillian & Ken Lonnergan, Gangs of New York
Nina Vardalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Pedro Almodovar, Talk to Her
Alfonso & Carlos Curan, Y Tu Mama Tambien

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Peter Hedges, Chris & Paul Weitz, About A Boy
Charlie and Donald Kaufman, Adaptation
Bill Condon, Chicago
David Hare, The Hours
Ronald Harwood, The Pianist

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Bowling for Columbine
Daughter from Danang
Prisoner of Paradise
Spellbound
Winged Migration

Caitlyn’s Wish List

BEST PICTURE

Gangs of New York

BEST ACTOR

Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York

BEST ACTRESS

Nicole Kidman, The Hours

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christopher Walken, Catch Me If You Can

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Nicole Kidman, The Hours

DIRECTOR

Martin Scorsese, Gangs of New York

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Nina Vardalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

David Hare, The Hours

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Bowling for Columbine

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'd love to see Lord of the Rings win best picture but it wont. Fellowship of the Ring was better than Two Towers and it didnt win. GANGS OF NEW YORK all the way!

i would really hate to see nicole kidman win since she's not even in the whole movie. julliane moore should get it or salma hayek.

Get off my island
It's not the best but it has studio power behind it, and that's what will probably count.

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally posted by Yoda

Damn. And I was just starting to like you, too.

What Does that mean? Gangs was a great great movie. One well worthy of best picture.

Originally posted by Beale the Rippe
What Does that mean? Gangs was a great great movie. One well worth of best picture.
It means exactly what you would expect it to mean: GONY was/is vastly overrated. The opening was briliant, but the rest was disjointed, had no real focus/point (other than sheer chaos), and was very poorly edited overall. It was also a tad too long.

I don't think it's anywhere near Best Picture material. That's what I was trying to convey with my sarcastic comment and winking smilie.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
That was on helluva quick reply (in the words of Mr. T).

Really though, GONY wa a great movie, and will admit, the best part of the movie was the opening, if you don't count the entire rest of Day Day-Lewis' performance.

So what if it dragged a little bit (may Leo and Diaz be beaten with a stick), it had one of the greatest performances in the past decade. I mean this. Every scene with Day-Lewis was like magic. He had a twinkle in his only good eye, and his accent was dead on. Its a great, great performance that fuels this great movie. Also my man Schindler had the econd best role of the film. (Maybe they should've kept him throughout the movie instead of his son....). A great supporting performance to boot.

Best Picture (Maybe, if not, I'm cool with that)
Best Director (If not I'm gonna be pissed)
Best Actor (if not, I'm going to be royally pissed and seeking vengence)

Never try to convince Chris of things other than that in which he believes. Like faries and hobgoblins.

Originally posted by Yoda

Damn. And I was just starting to like you, too.
… so which one is your choice for Best Picture… And what would you say if I told you Gangs was actually my second choice but I know my first choice doesn’t stand a chance…

And Beale, I agree with you about Daniel Day-Lewis… he is an excellent actor…

Here's what I think-

Best Picture-

CHICAGO (because a) it deserves it, b) Gangs of NY was great, but had few too many flaws, c) The Hours doesn't connect with everybody as it did with me, d) haven't seen the Pianist yet but America hates Roman Polansky, e) it DESERVES IT i say again. besides, i think its going to suffer in most of the acting categories, so this is the big one it should get. and as for LOTR: TT? It's lucky to get nominated (i mean it was excellent and all but i didn't think it carried the weight of the first one. well then again there was Helm's Deep...)

Best Director-

ROB MARSHALL (Chicago) (i know i know Martin Scorsese this Martin Scorsese that he hasn't gotten one yet and so on and so forth. But still- i've actually noticed a "ah screw Martin Scorsese" trend going on and, well, for a premiere film Rob Marshall did one HELL of a job. so, i'm going with my gut and giving Scorsese the boot and Marshall the gold)

Best Actress-

NICOLE KIDMAN (The Hours) ::sigh:: Nicole Kidman was great but i don't really think she should get in Actress category, but now that she is i'll give it to her anyway. As much as i loved Salma in Frida and Renee in Chicago. Salma has no chance to beat ms. Kidman, because she's [Kidman] has already garnered most of the big noses (i mean awards) and she uglified herself (academy loves that) but Renee might slip in there. I haven't seen Julianne Moore or Diane Lane so I can't say anything there. But wouldn't it be funny if Ms. Hayek stole it out from all the others? Bottom line- noses beat unibrows, tap shoes, etc.

Best Actor-

DANIEL DAY LEWIS (GONY) either him or Nicholson but as one poster said here "he made every scene magical" Besides, Nicholson's got too many. He has no more room on his mantle.

Best Supporting Actor-

CHRIS COOPER (Adaptation) if there were an easier category to predict, i'd have trouble finding it. From a flawed film (a bunch of excellent points that just didn't string together) emerged an the show stealing Laroche. Go orchid thieves. Although it would be excellent if John C. REilly stole it from him...

Best Supporting Actress-

CATHERINE ZETA JONES (Chicago) This is the only acting category where Chicago has a great chance to win. I've seen every Supporting actress movie and I don't really see why everyone's saying Meryl Streep. She was excellent, but not as good as the others. Both Ms. Bates and Ms. Latifah rocked the silver screen, but neither will get it. It comes down to Julianne Moore, who's story i thought was the most interesting in The Hours, and CZJ, the tap dancing killer. Julianne might profit from a possible lose in the lead actress category, but Catherine Zeta Jones was the cream on top of the cake of Chicago. Besides, did Julianne Moore do a splits straight down on to a chair? I don't think so.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE-

Elliot Goldenthal (FRIDA)- I have the CD and my god is it wonderful. THE HOURS didn't really have a variance of melodies and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN was really good but not as good as Frida.

Best Costume Design-

Again, I say FRIDA. You know- they walk out of paintings, the parallels, the Mexican stuff...it's wonderful. Frida is so underrated. The only one i can think of to knock Frida off is Chicago. In both cases, I would be very pleased.

Best Cinematography- CHICAGO. Why? Because it rocked. They may pity the dead cinematographer of Road to Perdition though...

Best Art Direction- This is one of the toughest categories. We have the LOTR menace- but they won last year and I think they'll give it to something different this year. This brings me down to Chicago and Frida again. Frida's art direction is one of the premieres of the movie (again with the paintings) but Chicago had incredible musical numbers that contrast with the drab reality of Chicago. since i'm no good at making decisions, i'm flipping a coin. ah tails. FRIDA it is.

Best Make-Up- Chicago had the excellent marionette scene make up and the styles....oh right it didn't get nominated. Well, don't ignore those orcs and the hobbits...what? it didn't get nominated either? Hmph. Well, did you see those scars in Gangs of NY...let me guess- it didn't get nominated either. Hmph. Stupid technicalities. Anyway- I haven't seen The Time Machine, so I'm going with FRIDA!

Best Original Song- Well, the song "Burn it Blue" from Frida is superior to its competitors but alas no one's heard it. So I'm going with the raucous over-the-credits ode to skipping town- "I Move On" from CHICAGO. gony's song was a little too cliche and the academy is too goody2shoes to select eminem.

Best Visual Effects- one word. GOLLUM

Best Sound- Did LOTR have songs? Noooooo. CHICAGO i say.

Best Sound editing- LOTR, but what the hell do i know about sound editing?

Best Editing- Chicago jumped from reality to fantasty uber-quick with uber-grace (Amos picks up his hat in reality, then sets his mime hat on his head onstage) so its just incredible. CHICAGO.
and one thing- why did GONY get nominated in this category- one of the flaws i found in the movie was editing (the lack thereof)

if i forgot any category- whatever.

and that's this one's opinion.

Originally posted by mysteryschultz
Best Supporting Actor-

CHRIS COOPER (Adaptation) if there were an easier category to predict, i'd have trouble finding it. From a flawed film (a bunch of excellent points that just didn't string together) emerged an the show stealing Laroche. Go orchid thieves. Although it would be excellent if John C. REilly stole it from him...

Best Sound- Did LOTR have songs? Noooooo. CHICAGO i say.
you REALLY liked chicago didn't you

chris cooper....i just don't see it happening...i can't quite understand WHY he was even nominated for this flick...i thought his performance was just "OK" at best

best sound....is not about "songs" (i think? - i'm sure holden will correct me promptly if i'm wrong )

well, yes, i suppose i did like it.

anyway, i think sound is about everything sound in general (and it won the BAFTA for sound so i'm judging it meets the criteria.) and i think Sound editing is for sound effects, but again what the hell do i know?

and as for Chris Cooper- i thought his performance was excellent and the Academy owes him for something or other (i don't really remember). and we have the uglify rule- he lost some teeth for the part and thus has good chance for the gold. but, we are all allowed our own opinion.

Jeeze, just realized I never got my picks up. OK, here goes...

PICTURE: Chicago
DIRECTOR: Martin Scorsese, Gangs of New York
ACTOR: Jack Nicholson, About Schmidt
ACTRESS: Nicole Kidman, The Hours
SUPPORTING ACTOR: Chris Cooper, Adaptation
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Pedro Almodovar, Talk to Her
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Bill Condon, Chicago

Those are the big eight. Now the mostly guesswork on the rest of 'em...

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Michael Ballhaus, Gangs of New York
EDITING: Martin Walsh, Chicago
COSTUME DESIGN: Colleen Atwood, Chicago
ART DIRECTION: Dante Ferretti, Gangs of New York
MAKE-UP: John Jackson & Beatrioce de Alba, Frida
SOUND: Chicago
SOUND EFFECTS EDITING: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
VISUAL EFFECTS: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
ORIGINAL SCORE: Philp Glass, The Hours
ORIGINAL SONG: "The Hands That Built America" by U2, Gangs of New York
KIVE-ACTION SHORT: "This Charming Man"
ANIMATED SHORT: "The ChubbChubbs!"
ANIMATED FEATURE: Spiritied Away
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: Nowhere in Africa
DOCUMENTARY SHORT: "Twin Towers"
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: Bowling for Columbine
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra