Favorite Woody Allen Film?

Tools    

Mrs. BDT to y'all
Despise all Woody Allen films and anything else to do with him

Originally Posted by Carissima
Despise all Woody Allen films and anything else to do with him
Why's that?

So what is everyone's favorite Woody Allen flick?

Can we try with real bullets now?
"Annie Hall", I even quote it in my signature

I merged your new thread with an already, yet dated, thread of the same topic.

Actually, cutter, you would have found this thread on the second page of results if you only searched for Woody Allen.

Please use the search ability, people...and be sure to use quotations (“”) around film titles and full names.

Anywho…

It’s amazing. I’ve seen What's Up, Tiger Lily?, Bananas, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask, Annie Hall, Manhattan, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah and Her Sisters, Radio Days, and Crimes and Misdemeanors, but not for at least 15 years for all of ‘em. I’ve gone ahead and rated them anyway in the past, but I don’t do that anymore. I barely remember anything about any of ‘em except bits and pieces and the overall feel of how much I liked it. I pretty much remember liking them all…some a whole lot, so I’m anxious to see them all again.

Actually, that might be a doable quest.

What I’ve seen more recently and remember quite well are Manhattan Murder Mystery, Bullets Over Broadway, Deconstructing Harry, and Melinda and Melinda, which I enjoyed at varying degrees. I’ve seen The Purple Rose of Cairo around ten times…loving every minute of it.

I’ve missed quite a few of his newer ones, some of which I want to see now that its been brought up, like Small Time Crooks (I know it’s not too popular, but still…), Sweet and Lowdown, and Mighty Aphrodite (just to say I have at least).

I like Woody Allen flicks. I like his manic personality, his self-loathing, and his hilarious nervous fear. He’s incredibly funny and one of hell of an auteur.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I merged your new thread with an already, yet dated, thread of the same topic.

Actually, cutter, you would have found this thread on the second page of results if you only searched for Woody Allen.

Please use the search ability, people...and be sure to use quotations (“”) around film titles and full names.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted it. I was experimenting with the poll, and mistakenly posted it. Sorry about that.

Do you know my poetry?
Manhattan (1979)

One of the best comedies around, just pure brilliance.

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's hard to pick a favourite, but... Manhattan probably. I've liked most films by him that I've seen, even Everyone Says I Love You although I usually don't like musicals. I haven't seen any of his newer films since Celebrity (which I liked a lot). I did not like Shadow and Fog that much though. I felt like he was trying a bit too hard to do some kind of Kafka/Bergman "thing". It wasn't a disaster though.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

When I'm in that very rare mood, nothing does the trick like a Woody movie. I like everything of his I've seen. A BAD Woody Allen film is still better than most people's best. My FAVS are:

SWEET AND LOWDOWN- (one of my all-time favs)
Bananas
Love & Death
Everything You've Always Wanted to Know about Sex but were Afraid to Ask
Sleeper
Curse of the Jade Scorpion

So many good movies, so little time.
Broadway Danny Rose

"I don't wanna badmouth the kid, but he's a horrible, dishonest, immoral louse. And I say that with all due respect."

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Ooh tough one. I just can't pick one so here are the ones I really enjoyed.....
Annie Hall
Hollywood Ending
Small Time Crooks
Manhatten
Manhatten Murder Mystery

My two favorites are Deconstructing Harry and Match Point!!!

For teh funneh, "Sleeper", for the everything, "A Midsummer Nights Sex Comedy" or "Manhattan"
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Manhattan and Annie Hall as the best

But I think Crimes and Mistemenours should get a mention - if only for the confusing final scene where the characters are discussing the final scene in a movie which is the movie they're in etc.....

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Annie Hall has stood the test of time about as well as any film.
Manhattan is incredible, eerily prophetic, but incredible.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Good choices. The obvious ones, but clearly the best ones. And you must be a big Smiths fan, so...cool. welcome to MoFo.

fry
Fry The Movie Freak
sorry, I would rather hang out with Grandma for an afternoon than watch one of his movies