The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Starting to think Wings of Honneamise isn't going to make it. What a shame, if it does not!

I had Mary & Max at #18. As y'all probably know I love stop-motion, and this is an exceptional one especially because of its weird and dark humor and tragic but heartwarming story. I guess it could've been higher. Pinocchio didn't make my list but I watched it a lot as a kid.

Here's my list so far,

1. will make it
2. Coraline (2009) #36
3. Wolf Children (2012) #71
4. It’s Such a Beautiful Day (2012) #96
5. will make it
6. will make it
7. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) #58
8. Corpse Bride (2005) #69
9. Tarzan (1999) #97
10. will make it
11. will make it
12. will make it
13. Shrek 2 (2004) #91
14. will make it
15. won't make it
16. probably won't make it
17. will make it
18. Mary and Max (2009) #23
19. Castle in the Sky (1986) #56
20. Waking Life (2001) #41
21. will make it
22. will make it
23. probably too new to make it
24. will make it
25. Sleeping Beauty (1959) #54

Pinocchio is the 4th out 4 childhood favorites that I voted for, and have made the countdown.

Mary and Max is a new favorite, and I voted for that too.

My list-

3. Rango
5. Persepolis
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Pinocchio at #7 and Mary and Max at #24. I'm very happy that Miss Vicky took my rec a year ago. Here's my thoughts on Pinocchio from my Top 100 thread:
Pinocchio (Ben Sharpsteen & Hamilton Luske, 1940)

Disney's second animated feature is a wonderful family film but it's also much more. Pinocchio not only tells the story of how an inanimate object can become a human being but it tells the story in a subtle manner which can be seen as an allegory for those who believe in such things as spiritual awakening and resurrection. Pinocchio is a little wooden puppet who is the pride and joy of carver Geppetto (voice of Christian Rub). One night, a wandering cricket named Jiminy (voice of Cliff Edwards) stops at Geppetto's house to try to keep warm and witnesses the man wish upon the wishing star for Pinocchio to become a real boy. Later, the Blue Fairy (voice of Evelyn Venable) comes to the house and animates Pinocchio, telling him that he can become a real flesh-and-blood boy if he proves himself to be brave, truthful and unselfish. Since Pinocchio needs lessons in these matters, the Fairy appoints Jiminy as his "Conscience".

The next morning, Pinocchio bids goodbye to his father and his cat Figaro and goldfish Cleo and heads off to school, but he falls into temptation before he even reaches there. It's difficult for Jiminy to keep up with Pinocchio who becomes an "actor" after being sold by the poorly-named Honest John (voice of Walter Catlett) to the menacing Stromboli (voice of Charles Judels). Later, Pinocchio goes to an even-more terrible place where boys can do whatever antisocial behavior they choose until they literally turn themselves into jackasses. With Pinocchio gone, Geppetto goes in search of him and ends up in the belly of the huge whale Monstro. That's when it's up to Pinocchio to search for and try to save his father.

Pinocchio is charming, lovingly-animated, surprisingly scary, teaches simple life lessons unobtrusively, is very funny and contains some wonderful songs. Besides the beautiful opener "When You Wish Upon a Star", it contains the wonderful "Give a Little Whistle", "Hi-Diddle-Dee" and "I've Got No Strings". The animation accompanying the songs is of extremely high visual quality and wit. In fact, sometimes it's difficult to believe how eye-popping the imagery is in this almost 70-year-old classic. Without benefit of computers, there is a remarkable 3-D quality to many of the shots, and some of the scenes underwater seem mind-boggling in their complexity and believabilty. Pinocchio was always my fave early Disney cartoon when I was younger, not only because it had the best story but because the animation was incredible. Seeing it on DVD, it truly is timeless as it seems to have just been made yesterday.

Pinocchio gets scarier the longer it progresses. Stromboli is a fiend who treats the "living" wooden boy the same way he does his fire wood. The Coachman who takes the unruly boys to Pleasure Island is devilish, and there are plenty of freaky scenes at the island which can only be described as horrific. Monstro is a truly awe-inspiring creature who can move extremely quickly and generate massive power; think the shark in Jaws, only a hundred times larger. Pinocchio does seem to mix a large amount of adventure in with its fantasy, and it's not surprising that the film's final song ends at just about the time that Stromboli gets ahold of his ax.

Even with all the qualities mentioned above, Pinocchio earns some extra credit for actually having a very deep story. It's true that you may find some parallels between the tales of Geppetto and Monstro and that of Noah and the great fish, but Noah didn't have a wooden boy attempting to be brave, truthful and unselfish in it. Without giving away the ending of Pinocchio for those few who may not know it, it does seem to grow out of a self-realization which is taught by many of the world's religions. It can also be argued that many of Disney's animated features repeat the concept of bringing the dead back to life and creatures being transformed by some important acts which they accomplish near the end of the story. It's just that Pinocchio did it first and, at least to me, the most-honestly, so that's why it's one of the few (along with Dumbo) which can move me to tears when that little bug reprises his trademark song as the film ends.

Mary & Max was my #16. Very delightful movie.

I like Pinocchio as well. If I had made my list on a different day with a different thought process, it could have made my list.

Pinocchio is tenth from my list i had it at 20. It's the first movie i remember genuinely scaring me, so much so that i always associate it with Horror in my mind. The three scariest movie experiences from my childhood were, basically all of The Exorcist, any scene with Reverand Kane in Poltergeist 2, and the Donkey and Whale scenes from Pinocchio. All three are now major favourites, probably because i associate them with strong emotions from my childhood, negative or not. Still it probably wouldn't have made my list if i hadn't watched it for the first time in five years or so; during the summer with my nephew. It held up surprisingly well; compared to a few other childhood favourites like, Bambi and Snow White for example.

Mary and Max is a fantastic film that would've made the 26-35 range on my list. The drawings always turned me off because from the outside looking in it seemed like a movie full of ugly characters with dull,depressing colours; but after watching it i wouldn't change a thing everything goes perfectly with the themes of the film. Like others said it's a very funny, heartwarming movie, that everyone should give a shot.

Watched - 51/78
My List 10/25

6.Waltz With Bashir
7.Persepolis
8.Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
11.Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck
14.South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
16. Allegro Non Troppo - Bolero
19.Howls Moving Castle
20.Pinocchio
22.Watership Down
25.Millenium Actress

Pinocchio was my number 5.

This legendary tale about a wooden doll who learns what being a human creature really means or should mean, starts off with my favorite Disney song of all time! Pinocchio is a lovely classic animated Disney picture (arguably THE best Disney film of all time) that doesn't shy away from portraying intensely horrific stuff.

The film is also simply a great adventure. At one point Pinocchio is gradually changing into a donkey because he's been drinking, pooling and smoking on some sort of politically incorrect amusement park island (that's actually a scheme to lure naughty children, change them into asses and sell them) and not much after that he's exploring the bottom of the ocean, looking for his creator and father who's imprisoned by the scariest and biggest whale of the seven seas! Imaginative stuff.

I also really like Mary and Max, by the way. It's a very peculiar film about two people with a very odd connection to eachother. It's also deliciously dark in its humor at times.

I wished the "That's Life" scene was on Youtube where Mary becomes an alcoholic. That's the scene that I always think about when I read or hear about this film.

over the years lotsa Disney films phased out of my home-movies collection, trade-ins to explore other kinds of stories. Pinocchio remains however understand those who may find it a bit scary... temptings from a wicked fox, lying, jackasses, etc. Liked the cat Figaro when i was younger. a classic tale done really well. my #2 entry

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
My list so far*** [/COLOR************ Its Place in the Countdown

3. Persepolis 28
4. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit-Wallace and Grommit *
7. Bambi**
10. Le Planete Sauvage
16. Coraline
20. Corpse Bride *
21. Ice Age
**Missed the Cut
23. Alice in Wonderland
24. Pinocchio 23

Totals 9/25

Pinocchio found its way on my list at #21.

Does anyone else think Cinderella still has a chance? If that doesn't make it, I'm shocked.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.

Does anyone else think Cinderella still has a chance? If that doesn't make it, I'm shocked.
I hope not to be honest. None of Walt Disney's movies hold up very well in my opinion but Cinderella is easily his weakest.

No chance Cinderella is making it thankfully. If there's a shock Disney, i hope it's Sword in the Stone or Basil: The Great Mouse Detective.