The Mist

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I kind of think King's ending would have worked just fine, leaving us wondering what was up...

You ready? You look ready.
That character just wouldn't have done that, though. It flew in the face of all his actions previously...
I can't say I would agree with that. I would agree if you said he wouldn't do it that soon. Which would fit with what Austruck was saying about waiting for the last possible second to find out what *exactly* is going on.

I say we can't predict any character's actions in a situation as extreme as that one. Which I think fits very nicely with real life and makes the ending not all that surprising. I personally have no problem with the ending except for him not waiting to see exactly what was going on before doing it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
But we CAN predict what he would do, especially concerning his son. He is shown multiple times putting all other concerns under saving his kid's life, so I wouldn't buy his shooting his kid in the head until one of those creatures literally had the kid in its grasp...

The director was clearly thinking shock value over plausibility here...

Actually, Stephen King gave his go ahead with the ending, which is completely believable. One of the major underlying themes in the movie is how far people can be pushed before resorting to extremes. You are right, he puts his kid above everything else.

Now, I am not a parent, but I can imagine that if you were faced with letting some other dimension creature possibly tear your kid to pieces or saving him from a horrible death by ending it yourself, what would you do? In real life, every day, there are cases of parents who did just that for their children and we call it murder. Now, yes, it's murder, but it's understandable under extreme circumstances such as created in the movie.

All he was doing is trying to spare his son the lesser of what he thought were the only two evils he had. Though, I will note for those of you who have not read the novella, that there is no actual ending, so the movie provided one moreso for closure than anything else.

Actually, Stephen King gave his go ahead with the ending, which is completely believable.
I wonder if that's because Stephen King tends to write out of his ass and can't come up with good endings himselfż
One of the major underlying themes in the movie is how far people can be pushed before resorting to extremes.
What parts were extreme?
You are right, he puts his kid above everything else.
...and shoots him. "Oh no! I can't believe he's dead! All I did was shoot him!"
Now, I am not a parent, but I can imagine that if you were faced with letting some other dimension creature possibly tear your kid to pieces or saving him from a horrible death by ending it yourself, what would you do? In real life, every day, there are cases of parents who did just that for their children and we call it murder. Now, yes, it's murder, but it's understandable under extreme circumstances such as created in the movie.
I need some examples. Who's been killing their kids lately to save them?
All he was doing is trying to spare his son the lesser of what he thought were the only two evils he had. Though, I will note for those of you who have not read the novella, that there is no actual ending, so the movie provided one moreso for closure than anything else.
I wasn't buying that the mist and it's bugs were enough of a threat to make me shoot my kid.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

i found the mist to be predictable. My lady friend and I had the ending figured out way ahead of time. I wouldnt go to the extreme the father did unless i KNEW that it was too late...i would have waited til one of the creatures was coming right at me.

I concur, and wrote a review myself of the MIST here.
wandererthoughts.blogspot.com/

I thought The Mist was a very well adapted film, and one of the most shocking endings of all time.

-The Wanderer
Do you want to know what the wanderer is thinking or reviewing

i found the mist to be predictable. My lady friend and I had the ending figured out way ahead of time. I wouldnt go to the extreme the father did unless i KNEW that it was too late...i would have waited til one of the creatures was coming right at me.
exactly!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I am looking forward to seeing this film, but it has had mixed reviews

I finally watched the mist this week i wasn't really scared by it and I found the ending predictable Not that good