A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Edge of the Axe has been rotting in my watchlist for a long time. It sounds like I shouldn't make it a priority.

Copying this from the "last DVD you purchased thread" since this seems like a better place to share this: all that inspired me to get this DVD set was watching The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Luckily, all it cost me was 2 credits on SwapADVD:

Appreciate any feedback about any of these if you've seen them. The Hatchet Murders is also known as Deep Red, by the way.
I recently watched The Severed Arm, and am now telling everyone who will listen that it deserves to be mentioned in the list of "first slasher" movies. It's not great, but as far as I'm concerned it is an 80s slasher that happened to be made in 1973. Complete with synth soundtrack. So far I've only convinced Rock to watch it so I'd like to know what others think.

Assuming it's Argento's Deep Red and not another movie marketed as Deep Red...
I'm not big on the 60s and 70s gallios, but I recall liking Deep Red more than TBwtCP. Just better atmosphere (in part due to the Goblin score and other music).
Ooh, I do love Goblin, especially their soundtrack to Suspiria (which I'm ashamed I slept through a crucial portion of and need to rewatch as a result, but I digress...)

Black Mountain Side, 2nd and 3rd watch (A)

First time I watched it, I didn't care much for the reveal of the thing, but then it occurred to me that it was probably lying, and the movie went back to being a solid, claustrophobic experience that didn't blow the ending. Love it and will probably watch it again.

l'Aldilla, 3rd or 4th watch (A+)

One of these days, I'll get the ending. I swear I will.

Contamination, 1980 (B)

Very silly, very over-the-top and gets into a bit of a slump, stretched out by a lot of slow motion. It's too stupid not to like, and The Alien looked amazing. Too bad they wouldn't light it properly most of the time, and it didn't show up enough.

The Robot vs The Aztec Mummy (C+)

I was expecting so much more Aztec and so much more Robot that was is there. It's somewhat eventful for the genre in that period, but it's just not that worth it in the end. Very disappointed.

Burial Ground, 1981 (A)

Grotesque, gratuitous, excessive and indulgent, this is one of the few zombie movies I enjoyed. The zombies themselves are awesome, and every overly long killing scene is amazing. The scythe and the breastfeeding scenes are real standouts here. I'll definitely watch this one again.

Burial Ground, 1981 (A)

Grotesque, gratuitous, excessive and indulgent, this is one of the few zombie movies I enjoyed. The zombies themselves are awesome, and every overly long killing scene is amazing. The scythe and the breastfeeding scenes are real standouts here. I'll definitely watch this one again.

The bad reputation this has with a lot of horror fans is baffling to me. It's easily one of the superior zombie films.

Victim of The Night
Burial Ground, 1981 (A)

I was also reasonably pleased with this. It needed the breastfeeding and all that came with it to push itself over the hill but it all worked for me in the end.

I also enjoyed Burial Ground a good bit. Most of the deaths were telegraphed far ahead of time, but the breastfeeding scene and the build up leading up to it definitely made up for its weaker moments. In retrospect, I might've rated it a bit too high, but I did get the sense that the journey was ultimately worth it in the end by the time I finished it.

It's been too long since I watched it, but I just must have had a different viewing experience with Burial Ground than the rest of you. I mean, yes, the breastfeeding scene, and pretty much any shot of "the kid," was memorable, but I found much of the rest of the movie was a lot more difficult (in a dull, inept sort of way that I did not find enjoyable. As opposed to dull, inept that I do find enjoyable). I don't know how much the fact I had heard that there was a breastfeeding scene caused it to not overcome my opinion of the rest of the film played into it.

Return of the Living Dead (A-)

Not the most comedic comedy I've ever seen, but a tremendous zombie movie. The zombies were fast, smart, talked, ate brains. So much more than just quiet murderers. Shout out to some of the most gratuitous nudity I've seen in a movie. They don't even try to justify it.

Night of the Demons, 1982 (B)

Good parts here and there, but it's overall not that much more than a haunted house movie, just a bit different.

Next of Kin, 1982 (B)

I didn't really get where this was going at first. I liked the early vibes, interspersed with some odd happenings, and then the last act when all hell breaks loose. Very interesting movie. I'll be watching it again for certain.

Don't Look Away, 2023 (D+)

A film about a killer mannequin that kills you when you look away. But not every time. Sometimes he just disappears. That's mostly what he does actually. The editing is the real monster here. The movie goes nowhere at a breakneck pace. Coupled with how dark it is overall and how cramped it is, it just doesn't work. No atmosphere is created, no scare is effective, no character is interesting. It's like a hastily made youtube video introduction got stretched out into a feature film.

Victim of The Night
It's been too long since I watched it, but I just must have had a different viewing experience with Burial Ground than the rest of you. I mean, yes, the breastfeeding scene, and pretty much any shot of "the kid," was memorable, but I found much of the rest of the movie was a lot more difficult (in a dull, inept sort of way that I did not find enjoyable. As opposed to dull, inept that I do find enjoyable). I don't know how much the fact I had heard that there was a breastfeeding scene caused it to not overcome my opinion of the rest of the film played into it.
Yeah, I was totally shocked by it and it was what the movie needed to amp it up. Once it becomes a psycho-sexual zombie movie it's a whole different animal and, to me, reframes everything before it too.

Victim of The Night
Return of the Living Dead (A-)

Not the most comedic comedy I've ever seen, but a tremendous zombie movie. The zombies were fast, smart, talked, ate brains. So much more than just quiet murderers. Shout out to some of the most gratuitous nudity I've seen in a movie. They don't even try to justify it.

Night of the Demons, 1982 (B)

Good parts here and there, but it's overall not that much more than a haunted house movie, just a bit different.
RotLD is probably my favorite zombie movie of all time and it keeps jockeying for my favorite Horror movie of all time. If I only had a week to watch movies and then I'd die, RotLD would get watched and possibly if I only had 24 hours.

I actually did not like Night Of The Demons at all on my first watch and questioned the person who recommended it to me.
I have since revised that position as I find it great fun on the low budget.

Two possession movies at my friends movie night tonight. Late Night with the Devil commits fully to it's bit about showing the tragic last broadcast of the The Night Owls with Jack Delroy, a late night talk show trying to compete with the juggernaut that is Johnny Carson. After a brief bit setting up the character the position he's in you are basically just watching a 1977 late night talk show happening on Halloween. There are multiple guests prior to the titular "devil" and while they certainly play into the themes on display and have a bit of spook to them, they are just that prior parts of a talk show. You do get footage during commercial breaks that isn't aired which helps get talking points out of the way but yeah it is just an interesting talk show in and of itself. When Lilly, a survivor of a demonic cult, and her therapist/handler June show up things get intense and then straight up bonkers but it all feels like a natural progression. This is just a great little spin on presenting a possession film and it's fun to see it outside the simple context of an exorcism.

We followed that up with My Best Friends Exorcism, which did a solid job with it's 80's setting and the actors were mostly fine but I just had a hard time getting into it. Despite a beginning that seems to say horror/comedy it spends most of it's run time seemingly more of a drama about a group of girls whose friendship starts to fall apart after weekend together goes poorly. This middle section is hard to watch just from the meanness of everything and it feels very odd with the more comedic start to things. The film starts to find it's footing when main character Abby recruits a body builder for Christ, the 80's were weird, to figure out her best friend got possessed and to do the titular exorcism. This actually brings some good humor back though the final showdown with the demon is a little stupid. A pretty mediocre film that wobbles between tones and has a generally underwhelming possession aspect that I almost wish it hadn't been and instead was just friends falling out and thinking it was possession, might have made for a more interesting ending. Still it's solid enough that if you like possession films it is again at least a bit of a different take on the subject.