Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

It's been a while since I posted here, good to be back.

I just rewatched The Graduate for the 5th or 6th time and one of the aspect of the film that is always left unanswered for me is the strong motivation Mrs Robinson has to avoid Benjamin and Elaine to be together.

Why does she hate the idea so much?

I have an hypothesis, here it is: Mrs Robinson hates her life. She tells Benjamin at the beggining of the film that she is an alcoolic, we gradually learn that she had to stop studying art because she got pregnant of Elaine and that she doesn't love her husband. So the thing she has with Benjamin, even though it's purely sexual is something that belongs to her, something that she doesn't have to sacrifice for her husband or Elaine. So when the idea of Ben and Elaine dating came about, it was like her daughter took away from her again what she valued. I have a lot of sympathy for MRs Robinson, I almost hope there's a second version of The Graduate where Ben and Mrs Robinson end up together.

What do you think?

I just rewatched The Graduate for the 5th or 6th time and one of the aspect of the film that is always left unanswered for me is the strong motivation Mrs Robinson has to avoid Benjamin and Elaine to be together.
I’ve seen this movie probably 10 times at least. Still love it.

My take was that Mrs Robinson wanted someone better for her daughter than Ben. The guy she was actually engaged to in fact. Any mother would feel the same way, I think.

I’ve seen this movie probably 10 times at least. Still love it.

My take was that Mrs Robinson wanted someone better for her daughter than Ben. The guy she was actually engaged to in fact. Any mother would feel the same way, I think.

At the beggining of the film, Mrs Robinson doesn't want Ben to date Elaine and Elaine didn't know the guy she was supposed to marry.

And why would Ben be not good enough? He's good looking, intelligent. What does he lack?

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.

(Counts as a movie, right?)

Crimson Tide, Legion, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and His Girl Friday.

today's conversation at lunch....

Drake: Have you seen "The Nun?"
Me: "yes, it's part of "The Conjuring" series. The actress in it is the sister to Vera Farmiga, Taissa Farmiga".
Drake: "I like that series"
Me: "Yeah she and Patrick Wilson are good. Blumhouse should do more on the investigations of Ed and Lorraine Warren. Oh, Patrick Wilson is married to Dagmara Domiczyk. You should watch .... . I think I'm going to watch it when I get home. Best revenge movie."

I highly recommended it to Drake and Brittany.