Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

'Burning' Cane'
Dir.: Phillip Youmans

Great performance from The Wire's Wendell Pierce, as a preacher with problems in the deep south. The film has flaws (not sure some of those camera angles were warranted and some of the monologues are a tad too long) but it is ultimately a pretty rewarding tale of addiction, poverty and religious hypocrisy.

Director Phillip Youmans was 17 when he made this. When I was 17 I couldn't make my bed. He apparently bugged the makers of 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' on Instagram to look at his work and they agreed to help get a feature produced. It's only 76 minutes long but if this is what the kid does at 17 then his career is going to be pretty fruitful.

Enola Holmes 3/5

Not a bad film by any means and an interesting take on an old classic. However, I don't think it was ever going to set the world on fire or re-invent the wheel. I do like Millie Bobby Brown though and think she has a good future ahead of her. It's good to see she isn't typecast to her Stranger Things character now and is doing other stuff.
I did a bit of digging and found she did her own stunts in this film too which is cool - there's a scene where she does Ju Jitsu and it turns out she's actually been training it in real life for some time https://bjjtribes.com/stranger-thing...-training-bjj/

Call me nerdy but I always love extra details like this. Anyway, as for the plot it was ok to pass the afternoon but if it was a cinema release I don't think I would have paid to see it.

Unregistered User

Possessor (2020)

Its difficult to describe the feeling I get after watching a new horror film that I've really really enjoyed. Its not like there hasn't been any in years but the feeling never leaves. Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, it stars Andrea Riseborough, Chris Abbott and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I love the concept of a secret agency able to overtake the human mind and assassinate its target, think like Manchurian Candidate, only with tonnes of violence and gore, which I have to add is executed stunningly. There are quite a lot of questions that the film doesn't answer but its an excellent, nightmarish and bleak sci-fi horror that's also easy on the (horror fan's) eye.

Dark River (2017)

Seems like I watched a very similar film (The Levelling) not so long ago. And this does have echoes of that. Although with the production of British movies who knows which came 1st.

Anyway, the return of a daughter to her farm and the struggle for the tenancy of said farm with her brother (who has been maintaining/running down the farm for some years) is the main theme of this movie. It's pretty grim and you learn the background of why she left but also the struggles of small-holders. It's not massively original but well made and acted.

Its difficult to describe the feeling I get after watching a new horror film that I've really really enjoyed. Its not like there hasn't been any in years but the feeling never leaves. Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, it stars Andrea Riseborough, Chris Abbott and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I love the concept of a secret agency able to overtake the human mind and assassinate its target, think like Manchurian Candidate, only with tonnes of violence and gore, which I have to add is executed stunningly. There are quite a lot of questions that the film doesn't answer but its an excellent, nightmarish and bleak sci-fi horror that's also easy on the (horror fan's) eye.

[/quote]

This looks interesting....

Unregistered User

This looks interesting....[/quote]

If you don't mind the bloodshed Marco, its absolutely worth a watch.
There will be a few on here that I think will enjoy this.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Underworld (2003):
Not the kinda movie everyone will like, but I am a fan of the series, especially the first 2 films and decided to do a marathon of the series. Good action scenes, simple but interesting story, and has Kate Beckinsale in it
8/10

Possessor (2020)

I just saw a pretty positive review of this on another site and I'm excited for it. I didn't read past the title and the words "body horror" because I'd like to be surprised. But this is definitely on my to-see list!

Godzilla, 1954

For years, all of the imagery I've seen related to Godzilla has been from the iconic rampage, or the creature swatting away fighter jets. I've always thought that it just didn't look like a film I'd be into.

What I feel no one has ever communicated to me that would have immediately gotten my attention:

1) This film is absolutely gorgeous
2) This film has a compelling cast of characters and several decent plot/character arcs
3) Takashi Shimura is in this movie

I went into this film as more of a completist viewing. If you're a horror movie fan, you should watch Godzilla, right? It was a very pleasant surprise on several levels.

To begin with, the film just looks really good. I'll be honest and say that the rampage scene wasn't my favorite thing, but I loved the use of models and the use of background/foreground filming. But at the end of the rampage there's a moment where Godzilla tips over a bridge, causing a wave to move to the shore, gently lifting and rocking two boats in the harbor as the city burns and crumbles in the background. This little grace note was so beautiful. I also just liked a lot of the compositions with the human characters, especially a lovely piece of chiaroscuro lighting on two of them as they are making a difficult decision.

I was also a fan of the way that the film kept morality and humanity at the center of the film. And, even further, the responsibility that humanity has for what is happening. Godzilla only emerges because underwater bomb tests have destroyed its natural habitat. The lead scientist (Shimura's character) is explicitly upset at the idea that Godzilla will be killed. Later in the film, a scientist who may have discovered a way to kill Godzilla agonizes over the knowledge that his science might be weaponized by world governments. This is where there's an interesting cultural relativism. One character in the film talks about how she narrowly avoided the bombing of Nagasaki. The people of Japan have a painful and intimate knowledge of what it means to use a weapon of mass destruction, something that is brought to the forefront by both Godzilla itself and the means that might destroy it. There were several moments that felt like modern discussions of morality--destruction of natural habitats, and a great sequence where some politicians decide to keep the monster a secret and a woman (a government official?) berates them for the idea and says that the people must be informed. The film really hammers home the way that everyday citizens largely have to depend on their leaders to cope with a crisis.

Finally, I liked the conflicts that the characters went through. Aside from the conflict facing the scientists, there is a love triangle in which you can empathize with all of the characters.

The only negatives for me were, as I said before, that the rampage sequence went on a little too long for me. It was technically well done, but "big monster rampage" isn't something that's ever really interested me in horror. I also felt annoyed at times by the character of Emiko, the lead scientist's daughter and the center of the love triangle. The actress was good, but at times I got a little tired of how often her character would fling herself down and cry. Like, c'mon.

Overall a really pleasant surprise.

“I was cured, all right!”

One can criticize Christine in many forms, and I can understand that.
But even with all the flaws, this film has the magic of the absurd and the great Carpenter atmosphere. It's like a fusion between Kafka and Lovecraft.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Underworld: Evolution (2006):
Great sequel that does live up to original, good action scenes, and has a sorrow but fitting ending.
8/10

Unregistered User
I just saw a pretty positive review of this on another site and I'm excited for it. I didn't read past the title and the words "body horror" because I'd like to be surprised. But this is definitely on my to-see list!

Yeah, it seems to be doing the rounds at the minute and doing well it seems. As you can tell, I'm a fan so cant recommend highly enough. Will look out for your thoughts on it.