Miss Vicky's 101 Favorite Songs Of the Moment

Tools    

65. "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders
Album Title: Last of the Independents
Year: 1994

Chrissie Hynde's voice is just gorgeous, whether she's belting out rock songs, chanting about being "special" or singing sweet love songs. The combination of that fantastic voice and the lyrics to this song has always made it my favorite Pretenders song.

64. "Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino
(Single)
Year: 1956

A lot of artists have recorded this song, but to me this is the only one that matters.

63. "Wig In A Box" by Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Album Title: Hedwig and the Angry Inch Soundtrack
Year: 2001

I love the whole soundtrack but to me this song is the most fun.

62. "Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Album Title: Southern Accents
Year: 1985

Southern Accents is my favorite Tom Petty album. Every song on it is a gem. Sadly most of the studio versions of those songs aren't on youtube for me to share so I'll just stick with this fantastic single.

61. "El Matador" by The Kingston Trio
Album Title: Sold Out
Year: 1960

After finding out that The Kingston Trio were one of Lindsey Buckingham's biggest influences, I bought a compilation cd of the band's years with Capitol records. "El Matador" stood out as an instant favorite. I still love it the most, though I really like most of what I've heard from the Trio.

60. "What It's Like" by Everlast
Album Title: Whitey Ford Sings the Blues
Year: 1998

Absolutely adore the lyrics to this one.

59. "Beautiful Child" by Fleetwood Mac
Album Title: Tusk
Year: 1979

Tusk is probably my favorite Fleetwood Mac album and, while I prefer Buckingham’s contributions to it overall, this particular Stevie Nicks song has always stood out to me as one of the best of her entire career.

58. "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
Album Title: Agent Provocateur
Year: 1984

Just an awesome power ballad. I can't help cranking it up and singing along every time I hear it.

57. "Run Through the Jungle" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Album Title: Cosmo's Factory
Year: 1970

Creedence was a staple in my house growing up and I’ve always loved this song in particular.

56. "Save the Last Dance For Me" by The Drifters
Album Title: Save the Last Dance For Me
Year: 1962

Although I probably heard this song many times before, I really took an interest in it after hearing it in the season 1 finale of the American version of Queer As Folk.

55. "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette
(Single)
Year: 1987

I’m a sucker for 80s pop and have always thought this was a really beautiful song.

54. "Dancing Bear" by The Mamas & the Papas
Album Title: The Mamas & the Papas
Year: 1966

After having heard "California Dreaming," "Monday, Monday" and "Creeque Alley" throughout my childhood, I picked up a best of compilation of the group. While I still love those more popular songs, the atmosphere of "Dancing Bear" immediately struck me.

53. "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum
Album Title: Grave Dancers Union
Year: 1992

I spent the first 2/3 of the nineties listening to alternative rock and Grave Dancers Union got played ad nauseum. I still really like the album as a whole, but the hit single remains my favorite.

52. "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes
Album Title: Elephant
Year: 2003

That beat is irresistible.

51. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem
Album Title: 8 Mile Soundtrack
Year: 2002

I'm not a fan of Eminem by any means, but I really love the energy of this song

Great set. White Stripes had their moment with me but even after that moment ended that song stuck. Soul Asylum was one of my favorite bands in HS and that is their best song. I love Lose Yourself. I have a hard time liking Eminem, much of his content rubs me the wrong way, that song is really good though and the movie was under rated.

+ rep for It Must've Been Love, Runaway Train and Seven Nations Army. In the right, or maybe that should be wrong, mood, Runaway Train can reduce me to tears.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
58. "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
Album Title: Agent Provocateur

56. "Save the Last Dance For Me" by The Drifters
Album Title: Save the Last Dance For Me
Year: 1962

+ rep for these two songs.

50. "Love Her Madly" by The Doors
Album Title: L.A. Woman
Year: 1971

I'm not sure when I first heard The Doors and I've not really explored their music beyond the hits, but I really enjoy what I have heard and this has always been my favorite.

49. "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin
Album Title: Top Gun Soundtrack
Year: 1986

I'm a sucker for a great pop love song and this gem from the 80s is a long time favorite.

48. "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell
Album Title: Somebody's Watching Me

What can I say? I'm a sucker for sh!tty but amusing 80s pop.

47. "Ready" by Cat Stevens
Album Title: Buddha and the Chocolate Box
Year: 1974

I've never heard a Cat Stevens song that I didn't like and there are several that I love, but the energy of this particular song makes it great for listening to when on the move.

46. "Could You Be Loved" by Bob Marley & the Wailers
Album Title: Uprising
Year: 1980

Yet another song that just makes me want to move.

+rep for Bob Marley !

45. "Mohammed's Radio" by Warren Zevon
Album Title: Warren Zevon
Year: 1976

Warren Zevon is yet another artist that I took an interest in because of the association with Fleetwood Mac (that’s Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks on harmony vocals) but I really don’t think of him that way. He was one of the finest lyricists I’ve ever had the pleasure to hear.

44. "We've Got Tonight" by Bob Seger
Album Title: Stranger In Town
Year: 1978

Although I love Seger’s more rocking songs like “Old Time Rock and Roll” and “Turn the Page,” his softer songs appeal to me a little more and this one is just gorgeous.

43. "With Or Without You" by U2
Album Title: The Joshua Tree
Year: 1987

Believe it or not, there once was a time when U2 was good – even great. Sadly those days have long since passed, but we still have the music.

42. "Hey Ya!" by Outkast
Album Title: Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Year: 2003

Totally infectious and fun song and an instant favorite.

41. "Battle of the Dragon" by Stevie Nicks
Album Title: American Anthem Soundtrack
Year: 1986

I'm not much of a Stevie NIcks fan, but I've always loved the lyrics to this song and her voice still sounded good in 1986. Now? Her voice is awful.

Lots of rep . Love Tusk too. Rep for The Doors, Soul Asylum, the Drifter and always lovely to listen to Cat Stevens and Bob Marley.
Never liked U2

40. "Float On" by Modest Mouse
Album Title: Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Year: 2004

I think I first heard this song on VH1 one morning and instantly loved it. I ended up buying the Good News For People Who Love Bad News and The Moon and Antarctica and really liked them, but the instant appeal of "Float On" stuck with me and it remains my favorite.

39. "November Rain" by Guns 'N' Roses
Album Title: Use Your Illusion I
Year: 1991

My mom used to be a big fan of GNR and both Use Your Illusion albums were played frequently when I was young. This particular song always stood out to me as being exceptionally great.

38. "Drive" by R.E.M.
Album Title: Automatic For the People
Year: 1992

Automatic For the People was another album my mom loved when I was growing up and it was a staple in my house. I love the album as a whole and while "Everybody Hurts" might be the more obvious choice, something about the atmosphere and instrumentation of this song always appealed to me more.

37. "Careless Whisper" by George Michael
Album Title: Make It Big

I don't know what it is about heartbreak songs that I love so much, but this one is just gorgeous.

36. "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
Album Title: Rhythm Of Youth
Year: 1982

To me, this is the quintessential 80s pop song. It is absolutely ridiculous but also catchy and memorable as hell.

35. "Shame" by Stabbing Westward
Album Title: Wither, Blister, Burn + Peel
Year: 1996

This song hit shortly before my musical taste took a turn towards Classic Rock. I was 15, so I related a lot to this sort of angst and the obsessive lyrics. I like to think I've changed at least a little in the 18 years that have followed, but my love of this song hasn't.

34. "Mama, I'm Coming Home" by Ozzy Osbourne
Album Title: No More Tears
Year: 1991

Although I actually like his writing (his autobiography was a great read and I really miss his "Ask Dr. Ozzy" advice column), I've never been a fan of Ozzy Osbourne's music - except this song. I've always loved these lyrics.

33. "I Should Have Known It" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Album Title: Mojo
Year: 2010

Just some good rocking music. Lindsey Buckingham may top my list of favorite guitarists, but Mike Campbell is not far behind.

32. "Dust Bowl Dance" by Mumford and Sons
Album Title: Sigh No More
Year: 2009

I love all of Sigh No More (though don't care for Babel) and my favorite track has changed several times but for the moment, this is it.

31. "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode
Album Title: Violator
Year: 1990

I'm not usually a fan of the electronic sound of Depeche Mode, but the lyrics to this song won me over and it has long been a favorite.