Miss Vicky's 101 Favorite Songs Of the Moment

Tools    

85. "Don't Drink the Water" by Dave Matthews Band (with Alanis Morisette)
Album Title: Before These Crowded Streets
Year: 1998

I don’t like Dave Matthews Band. Furthermore, I don’t like Alanis Morissette. However, the eerie and haunting sound of this song had me instantly hooked.

84. "No One" by Alicia Keys
Album Title: As I Am
Year: 2007

I probably first heard this song watching early morning VH1 programming or on the radio. I’m not a fan of Alicia Keys at all, but something about this song just really works for me.

83. "Have A Little Faith In Me" by John Hiatt
Album Title: Bring the Family
Year: 1987

The first time I remember hearing this song was in the movie Benny & Joon. Piano ballads usually aren’t my cup of tea, but I don’t think there’s any way to deny the simple beauty of this song.

82. "Tunnel O' Love" by Walter Egan
Album Title: Not Shy
Year: 1978

Walter Egan is one of many artists that I became interested in as an off-shoot of my Fleetwood Mac fandom. He’s best known for his hit “Magnet and Steel,” from the same album, but I think this song is much better. Also, sex metaphors are fun.

81. "Sexy Boy" by Air
Album Title: Moon Safari

I first heard this song in an episode of the American version of Queer As Folk and instantly loved it. Beyond the constant repetitions of the title, I haven’t the slightest idea what the lyrics mean, but I sure like the sound of it.

AIR?

You posted a song by AIR?

I am so happy. I want to cry.

You posted a song by AIR!

80. "The Difficult Kind" by Sheryl Crow
Album Title: The Globe Sessions

I’m not a fan of Sheryl Crow, but she does have a few songs that really get to me. This one does so more than any other. There’s nothing particular exceptional about the vocals or the instrumentation, but the lyrics are wonderful.

79. "Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas
Album Title: Meet the Robinsons Soundtrack
Year: 2007

I’ve been a fan of Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20 since they first made it big with Yourself Or Someone Like You and several of their songs came close to making the cut. I don’t know what it is about this song that makes it stand out as a favorite but I often find myself playing it over and over. Its association with a certain favorite animated film doesn’t hurt.

78. "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" by Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Album Title: Bella Donna
Year: 1981

This song is, by varying degrees, responsible for my interest in a very large percentage of the music I listen to. Despite there being several Fleetwood Mac albums in my parents’ record collection, I had no clue who Stevie Nicks was when I first saw the video to this song sometime in the early 1990s. All I knew or cared about was that she was singing with Tom Petty, who had already established himself as my favorite artist. It wasn’t until I got a copy of Bella Donna a few years later and started exploring more of Nicks’s work that I made the connection with Fleetwood Mac .

77. "Walking Away" by Jonny Lang
Album Title: Wander this World

I’m not usually real big on blues or blues rock, but Wander This World is a phenomenally great album and was released when Jonny Lang was just seventeen years old. Several of the other tracks from the album came close to making the cut as well and on another day they might have.

On a side note, this has a Fleetwood Mac connection as well. That’s ex-FM singer Bekka Bramlett on backing vocals, though I heard her singing on Lang’s break-out single “Lie to Me” before I was ever aware of her involvement with the Mac. She also appears on several other songs on Wander This World and you’ll hear from her again in this countdown.

76. "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who
Album Title: Who's Next
Year: 1971

I’ve never cared much for The Who, but I’ve always admired the lyrics to this particular song.

Damn, I haven't listened to Jonny Lang for a long time. His album Lie to Me is very good.

Damn, I haven't listened to Jonny Lang for a long time. His album Lie to Me is very good.
Lie to Me is good - in particular the title track is excellent - but Wander This World is by far my favorite Lang album.

75. "Man In The Box" by Alice In Chains
Album Title: Facelift
Year: 1990

My love of this song is a holdover from my adolescence. There’s nothing like a good testosterone fueled song for venting a little anger.

74. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
Album Title: A Night At the Opera
Year: 1975

An obligatory road trip and workout song and just a hell of a lot of fun.

73. "After the Love Has Gone" by Roy Orbison
Album Title: King Of Hearts
Year: 1992

Although I rank other artists higher overall, my favorite male vocalist – by far – is Roy Orbison. That voice had the ability to lift my spirits or break my heart like no other. He had many great songs, but something about the sad beauty of this song really gets me.

72. "Who'll Stop the Rain" by John Fogerty and Bob Seger
Album Title: Wrote A Song For Everyone
Year: 2013

While I love the original Creedence recording of the song, for me there’s just something magical that happens when two greats come together.

71. "Natural Blues" by Moby
Album Title: Play
Year: 1999

It’s weird how amazing it sounds when you combine an a cappella folk song (Vera Hall – Troubles So Hard) with electronic music.

Moby is awesome.

Also, one of my fondest memories is going to a beach house for my grandparents 50th anniversary and rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody with my cousin. We would walk on the beach and sing the whole thing. I miss those days.

70. "Some Nights" by fun.
Album Title: Some Nights
Year: 2012

Just a fun, foot stomping kind of song. The beat works great for listening to while walking and the lyrics are easy to sing along to.

69. "The Bigger the Love" by Billy Burnette
Album Title: Coming Home
Year: 1993

The son of rockabilly pioneer Dorsey Burnette, Billy Burnette has been making music professionally since a very young age, recording numerous solo albums and working as a session musician, touring musician, and songwriter for such artists as John Fogerty, Roy Orbison, George Strait, and Bonnie Raitt. He was also a member of Fleetwood Mac from 1988 -1995, which is of course how I became aware of him.

This particular song isn't actually my number one favorite of his, but I do really love the lyrics and the overall sound of it and listen to it a lot.

68. "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith
Album Title: Permanent Vacation
Year: 1987

My mom was a big fan of Aerosmith back in the 80s and Permanent Vacation got played a lot. 27 years later and this song still doesn't feel old to me.

67. "Nights In White Satin" by The Moody Blues
Album Title: Days Of Future Passed
Year: 1967

I'm not sure where I first heard this song, probably just on the radio, but I've always thought it was haunting and beautiful. Though I have gone to sleep with the radio playing a time or two and been jolted awake by "Breathe deep, the gather gloom..."

66. "Handle With Care" by The Traveling Wilburys
Album Title: Volume 1
Year: 1988

Hands down the greatest band that ever existed - George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, and Jeff Lynne. The entire album is fantastic and so is their follow up, Volume 3 but I listen to this song the most.

Love The Who: one of their best imo. Don't like Sheryl Crow or Stevie Nicks at all personally. Just heard both of the others for the first time and really liked both, especially, Little Wonders.

YAY for "Nights in White Satin."

That song has been nominated so many times for Song Tournament, including by me, and always comes so close to winning but doesn't.