Recommendations: Animated Films

Tools    

this will be on my list, the 1966 version with Boris Karloff as the narrator / voice of the Grinch

'your soul is an appalling dump heap,
overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable,
mangled up in tangled up knots'

is this song about SexyCelebrity, or about me? not quite sure either way, love it

You have mistaken me for bouncingbrick, but I'll forgive you if you watch A Town Called Panic.
It's 5:16 AM. My apologies.

I'll watch it, though. It's from my country!

I love animation, I used to be really into it and I know the craft pretty well (especially stop-motion), and I excelled in a few animation classes I took. For the latter part of high school and much of college, my dream was to be an animator. It's still a little bit of a hobby but it's tough work.

The thing is, I haven't delved as deeply into actual animation cinema as much as I wish I could say I have, so I'll be doing just that for this upcoming animation list. I will be using this list as well as this thread as a resource. If I come across any other good lists to utilize, I'll share them. I'm excited for this, let's make it good!

My only recommendation (right now) is one I don't think too many people on here have seen, so I'm giving it a shout out in hopes more will. I'm personally a big fan of it.

Oh, and obviously, anyone who hasn't seen Fantastic Planet should watch it.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - Isao Takahata

Whisper of the Heart (1995) - Yoshifumi Kondo

Persepolis (2007) - Marjane Satrapi/Vincent Paronnaud
+

My Neighbour Totoro (1988) - Hayao Miyazaki

Garden of Words (2013) - Makoto Shinkai

Mary & Max (2009) - Adam Elliot

Some other favourites:

5 Centimetres per Second (2007) - Makoto Shinkai
-
Ponyo (2008) - Hayao Miyazaki
-
Allegro Non Troppo (1977) - Bruno Bozzetto
-
Tokyo Godfathers (2003) - Satoshi Kon
-
From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) - Goro Miyazaki

Waking Life (2001) - Richard Linklater

When the Wind Blows (1986) - Jimmy T Murakami

Gauche the Cellist (1982) - Isao Takahata

Let the night air cool you off
In 2012, the Open Russian Festival of Animated Film asked 100 animation experts to vote for the top 100 Russian animated films from 1912-2011. #1 "Zhil-byl pyos" received 97 votes. Every film in the top 100 received at least 23 votes.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/g...mation/mjf314/

Tomorrow I'll start this with a rewatch of a great animated movie, Waltz with Bashir. I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it.

My daughter would recommend anything "Clannad" .. Movie or Anime
I though the movie was ok. The best thing was the TV series Clannad Afterstory though which I include into my top TV series. The movie basically compresses the basic plot of the two seasons of TV series into 100 minutes leaving out all the nuances that make the series very good.

I haven't seen anyone mention ParaNorman, which is one of my favorite animated movies from recent years. A fun, heartfelt, thrilling movie with several laugh-out-loud moments and lots of references to past horror films. It also gets bonus points for pissing off conservatives by having an openly gay character. I preferred it slightly to Frankenweenie, the other stop-motion, love-letter-to-horror from the same year.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love animation, I used to be really into it and I know the craft pretty well (especially stop-motion), and I excelled in a few animation classes I took. For the latter part of high school and much of college, my dream was to be an animator. It's still a little bit of a hobby but it's tough work.

The thing is, I haven't delved as deeply into actual animation cinema as much as I wish I could say I have, so I'll be doing just that for this upcoming animation list. I will be using this list as well as this thread as a resource. If I come across any other good lists to utilize, I'll share them. I'm excited for this, let's make it good!

I find it interesting that nobody seems to think that Who Framed Roger Rabbit should be eligible for the list, but it's #18 on the list that Swan linked to in his post, which is listed as:

"The 100 best animated movies:"
"World-famous animators pick the best animated movies ever, including Disney and Pixar movies, cult movies, kids movies, stop-motion, anime and more".

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/...d-movies-20-11

I definitely think Who Framed Roger Rabbit should be eligible. I've already made a list just to see what it would look like at the moment, and I included Roger Rabbit. And although I doubt anyone would vote for Space Jam, that's another movie that I think should should be eligible. If a significant portion of a movie takes place in an animated world and features heavy involvement from animated characters, then that's an animated movie, in my opinion.

I find it interesting that nobody seems to think that Who Framed Roger Rabbit should be eligible for the list, but it's #18 on the list that Swan linked to in his post]
And even Swan admits that the list is deeply flawed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a fantastic movie, but it is not animated.

And even Swan admits that the list is deeply flawed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a fantastic movie, but it is not animated.

IMDB lists it as an animated movie (#83):
"Most Popular Animation Feature Films"
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=...e_type=feature

Rotten Tomatoes lists it as an animated movie (#15):
"Top 100 Animation Movies"
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/be...es/?category=2

And Swan's list (which was picked by "World-famous animators") lists it as an animated movie (#18):
"The 100 best animated movies:"
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/...d-movies-20-11

So what makes all the "experts" wrong, and the MoFos right?

(I'm not trying to be rude or sarcastic. I'm just trying to understand why it's not considered an animated movie here, when it seems to be considered an animated movie everywhere else.)

I don't think a final decision has been made, but so far the general consensus is that we want a true animation list. That means no hybrids.

As for why I vote no to Roger Rabbit's inclusion: To me, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a live action movie with some animated characters and animated scenes. The majority of the film takes place on live action sets. Very little of it actually takes place in Toon Town. Two of the three principal characters - Roger, Eddie and Judge Doom - are played by actors. It made it on the 80s Countdown. It very much deserves its place there, but it doesn't belong here.

And, again, that list that Swan posted is deeply flawed. It also includes Jason and the Argonauts and King Kong - movies that use animation as a special effect. Not to mention the fact that it has Pinocchio in the number 1 slot, so we won't be considering it any sort of authority on the subject.

I don't think a final decision has been made, but so far the general consensus is that we want a true animation list. That means no hybrids.

As for why I vote no to Roger Rabbit's inclusion: To me, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a live action movie with some animated characters and animated scenes. The majority of the film takes place on live action sets. Very little of it actually takes place in Toon Town. Two of the three principal characters - Roger, Eddie and Judge Doom - are played by actors. It made it on the 80s Countdown. It very much deserves its place there, but it doesn't belong here.

And, again, that list that Swan posted is deeply flawed. It also includes Jason and the Argonauts and King Kong - movies that use animation as a special effect. Not to mention the fact that it has Pinocchio in the number 1 slot, so we won't be considering it any sort of authority on the subject.

I understand that Roger Rabbit is not 100% animation, but it has animated characters in almost every scene, and the live actors interact with the animated characters throughout the movie. The main reason the movie is so popular is because of the animation, and the animated characters interacting with the live action. IMO it has more than enough animation to be considered an animated movie.

I can't really comment much on either Jason and the Argonauts or King Kong because I'm not too familiar with either movie, but from what I remember, I wouldn't consider either of them animated movies, and I have no idea why they're on the list.

And I was surprised to see that Pinocchio was the #1 movie on that list. It's a great movie, but far from #1 in my opinion.

I understand that Roger Rabbit is not 100% animation, but it has animated characters in almost every scene, and the live actors interact with the animated characters throughout the movie. The main reason the movie is so popular is because of the animation, and the animated characters interacting with the live action. IMO it has more than enough animation to be considered an animated movie.
We'll have to agree to disagree. It's a hybrid movie and has far too much live action for me to consider it anything but a hybrid.

I can't really comment much on either Jason and the Argonauts or King Kong because I'm not too familiar with either movie, but from what I remember, I wouldn't consider either of them animated movies, and I have no idea why they're on the list.
They're on the list because they use animation and do so in a way that was influential and revolutionary. I point them out to illuminate the fact that just because these so called "experts" call them animated, doesn't mean they actually are. And both films feature interaction between live action and animated characters, just like Roger Rabbit.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Mascot 1934-- it's in the public domain, you should probably be able to find it on Youtube
Now that's a recommendation! It's a glorious flick!
Another TRV recommendation. Belief in humanity restored.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.