Recommend Me Some Movies From the 1970s

Tools    

Are you a man?

I thought you were female until recently.

If you're a man, and if you're straight, take a lot of estrogen and see if it makes you fall in love with Rocky here.

Because seriously, if this was Rocky --

I don't know if I would have dug the movie so much (see the '80s Countdown thread for an explanation.)
I'm an heterosexual man so no, the charm of Sylvester Stallone doesn't really affect me. As for Talia Shire she's one of the ugliest actress ever hahaha

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'll also add:

The Ascent
Murmur of the Heart
Dersu Uzala
The Holy Mountain
Mirror
Yes, lots of Soviet stuff! The Holy Mountain is a fantastic film for altered states.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Yes, lots of Soviet stuff! The Holy Mountain is a fantastic film for altered states.
Soviet cinema peaked in the 70s. So much greatness. El Topo, too, for the altered states.

Have these already been mentioned?

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
Carnal Knowledge (1971)
All That Jazz (1979)
Nashville (1975)

Unregistered User
Im pretty sure Cronenberg has a few from the 70's, The Brood, Shivers and Rabid. Not saying they will be on my list but i think there may be a few fans on here.

American Graffiti

Don't look now

Barry Lyndon

Life of Brian

Papillon

Midnight Express

The Sting

The Wicker Man

Frenzy

Blazing Saddles

Chappie doesn't like the real world
What about Charlotte's Web? That will make your list won't it?

Maybe try The Champ, Lenny, The Goodbye Girl, Over the Edge, Norma Rae.

Oh, I just thought of one. Ben!!! About the rats!

There is some good animation too, Watership Down (so sad) The AristoCats & Pete's Dragon to name a few.

A couple of cult films: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and A Boy and his Dog.

I don't know if you'll like any of those. I'd say Watership Down might be the one you do if any.

I know you don't like musicals, but Cabaret is soooo good.

What about Charlotte's Web? That will make your list won't it?
Of course it will.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo are also definitely going to appear somewhere on the list. It's the other 22 slots I'm trying to fill.

There is some good animation too, Watership Down (so sad) The AristoCats & Pete's Dragon to name a few.
I remember liking The Aristocats and Pete's Dragon when I was a kid, but I don't think I'd like them now. I may give them a revisit though. I vaguely remember seeing at least parts of Ben many years ago. I may give it a rewatch but I've never liked the association between horror movies and rats. There just isn't anything scary about them to me.

I'll add Watership Down to my watch list. Cabaret has been on my watch list for some time now, but my hatred of musicals has made me very reluctant to actually see it.

There's far too many great 70s films, I could easily compile a top 25 right now and be happy with it. Brilliant decade. Anyway, here's some of my favourites (complete with lots of posters), chances are you will probably hate most of them:

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just a few gems of my 70's faves

Cop/Crime Films
The Family/Violent City
The Mechanic
Mr. MajestykThe Silent Partner
Dirty Harry
Across 110th Street
The Getaway
Death Wish
Gone in 60 Seconds
The Taking of Pelham 123
Dog Day Afternoon
Godfather I and II
The Yakuza
The Driver

Comedies
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Sleeper
The Sting
Mash
Bananas
Harold and Maude (dark comedy)
Support Your Local Gunfighter
Play it Again Sam
What's Up Doc?
Silver Streak
The Bad News Bears
Annie Hall
Kentucky Fried Movie
Slap Shot
Smokey and the Bandit
Every Which Way But Loose
Up in Smoke
Hooper
The End
The In-Laws
The Jerk
Manhattan
Breaking Away
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Pink Panther Strikes Again (best of the series by far)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I remember liking The Aristocats and Pete's Dragon when I was a kid, but I don't think I'd like them now. I may give them a revisit though. I vaguely remember seeing at least parts of Ben many years ago. I may give it a rewatch but I've never liked the association between horror movies and rats. There just isn't anything scary about them to me.

I'll add Watership Down to my watch list. Cabaret has been on my watch list for some time now, but my hatred of musicals has made me very reluctant to actually see it.
I don't know if I still like Pete's Dragon but I saw the AristoCats as an adult and liked it.

I remember rooting for the rats in Ben, but I don't know if the movie was geared that way or if I just like rats. I know what you mean though.

I know you've heard this before but Cabaret is not a traditional musical in that all performances are inside a club so they are supposed to be singing.

Man, there's only one movie I'd care about being on the 70s list, House! Everyone go watch it right now!
It should make it already, me and you will include it on our lists, and Skepsis and Mr Minio will probably include it too

Surprised to see this here Sexy, with it being a five hour film. Been meaning to watch it myself as I love Bertolucci's The Conformist, and it looks like the type of film I'd like.

I think I remember you had Last Tango in Paris also on your last top 100, so that's another 70s film for you, and also one I want to see.

Shame you can't reply

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Surprised to see this here Sexy, with it being a five hour film. Been meaning to watch it myself as I love Bertolucci's The Conformist, and it looks like the type of film I'd like.

I think I remember you had Last Tango in Paris also on your last top 100, so that's another 70s film for you, and also one I want to see.

Shame you can't reply
Last Tango in Paris is available on netflix right now.