Recommend Me Some Movies From the 1970s

Tools    

With the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s going on, the Top 100 of 70's isn't far off. If I were to submit a list of 70s movies right now, it would include two Herbie movies, Caligula, and Mandingo - simply for lack of having watched many movies from that era.

So give me some suggestions of what to watch so I can turn in a decent list when the time comes.

Jeebus. That's wide open.

Some of the must-sees that I don't think much of anybody would argue about would include The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jaws, Star Wars (1977), Taxi Driver, Annie Hall, Aguirre the Wrath of God, Young Frankenstein, Dog Day Afternoon, Grease, The Sting, The Last Picture Show, MASH....that should keep you occupied for a while. Bit of a cross section. For starters. Even if you don't like some of those, that should give you a good base of the decade.

I mean, we can certainly give recommendations by genre, and based on other things you've liked...but you can start about anywhere in that group.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Star wars medals.jpg
Views:	11105
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	12649  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden's right, that's a wide open question, but I'll try anyway based purely on personal taste. Mine and your taste don't always align, and I'm sure one of the more experienced members can give you a more comprehensive list, but here's what I'd recommend anyway (particular favourites in bold):

MASH
Five Easy Pieces
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Harold & Maude
Play It Again, Sam

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Aguirre, the Wrath of God

The Godfather & The Godfather: Part II
Sleeper
Paper Moon
American Graffiti
Badlands
Carrie
Don't Look Now
Chinatown
Love and Death

Nashville
Taxi Driver
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Picnic at Hanging Rock
All the President's Men
Annie Hall
Network
Days of Heaven
Kramer vs. Kramer
Apocalypse Now
Hausu

In addition to what Holden said, I'd add A Woman Under the Influence, Nosferatu the Vampyre, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Cries & Whispers, Monty Python movies & A Clockwork Orange. It's a great decade.

I need to see a lot more as well. Those are the movies from my top 25 right now (in alphabetical order)

Alien
All the President’s Men
American Graffiti
Apocalypse Now
Chinatown
A Clockwork Orange
The Conversation
Dog Day Afternoon
Duck you Sucker
Enter The Dragon
The French Connection
Frenzy
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Harold & Maude
Jaws
Jeremiah Johnson
Little Big Man
Mccabe & Mrs Miller
Network
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Star Wars
Straw Dogs
The Sting
Taxi Driver

I was thinking I might not know of a lot of '70s movies to add myself, yet now I'm realizing I do.

A Clockwork Orange.

Apocalypse Now

(which features Song Tournament 5 winner, nominated by me, "The End" by The Doors in its opening credits.)

Alien.

Emmanuelle 2
(aka Emmanuelle: The Joys of a Woman)

The Deer Hunter.

Halloween.

The Exorcist.

Rocky.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Attachments

Name:	sylvia-kristel-in-emmanuelle-2-l-antivergine-con-umberto-orsini-e-catherine-rivet-245056.jpg
Views:	21155
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	12650   Click image for larger version

Name:	bernardo-bertolucci-1900-gerard-depardieu1.jpg
Views:	7534
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	12651  

I left it wide open because I figured other people might get some benefit from the suggestions as well.

I've seen and loved One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I didn't care for Taxi Driver or Little Big Man and I hated The Exorcist, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Grease and A Clockwork Orange. Also can't stand Star Wars.

I liked The Wizard of Oz as a kid, but I've a feeling I would hate it now.
The Wizard of Oz?

Finished here. It's been fun.
Days of Heaven-This film in lack of a better term is just majestic. Gorgeous cinematography, beautiful theme and a great story as well.

Sexy what's good about Rocky? I really did try, but it might be the worst movie I've seen ever. I can't understand a word Stalone says and it's a very cliché story

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Some gross foreign stuff:

The Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973)
Pakeezah (Kamal Amrohi, 1972)
Claire's Knee (Eric Rohmer, 1970)
Celine and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
Kings of the Road (Wim Wenders, 1976)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel, 1972) (and all other Bunuel from the 70s)
The Travelling Players (Theo Angelopoulos, 1975)
Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Sexy what's good about Rocky? I really did try, but it might be the worst movie I've seen ever. I can't understand a word Stalone says and it's a very cliché story
Worst film you have ever seen? You're right in the fact that it is cliched and predictable, but Stallone's charismatic performance, followed by its timeless soundtrack and (mostly) great direction makes up for it. I think it is a great little film, depicting a more optimistic and spirited America, all overtness aside.

Are you a man?

I thought you were female until recently.

If you're a man, and if you're straight, take a lot of estrogen and see if it makes you fall in love with Rocky here.

Because seriously, if this was Rocky --

I don't know if I would have dug the movie so much (see the '80s Countdown thread for an explanation.)
Attachments

Name:	sylvester-stallone-rocky-film-1976-photo-GC.jpg
Views:	8078
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	12654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asian Rocky.jpg
Views:	7356
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	12657  

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Some gross foreign stuff:

The Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973)
Pakeezah (Kamal Amrohi, 1972)
Claire's Knee (Eric Rohmer, 1970)
Celine and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
Kings of the Road (Wim Wenders, 1976)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel, 1972) (and all other Bunuel from the 70s)
The Travelling Players (Theo Angelopoulos, 1975)
Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
I'll also add:

The Ascent
Murmur of the Heart
Dersu Uzala
The Holy Mountain
Mirror

Give Solaris a go if you're a fan of sci-fi. Stay away from it if you're not a fan of slow films.