Should I blind buy Dexter, season 1?

Tools    

Now that Dexter is long over, a few thoughts:

It was an acquired taste, definitely not for everyone. Black humor at it's finest.
Yet it was deeply psychological...
Not that I'm a serial killer, but I could relate to Dexter's frequent inability to relate to the normal routines of socialization, i.e. feeling like an outsider who doesn't quite get how other people are supposed to relate to each other and feeling like he was acting when trying to be a part of his work environment or interacting with others: in familial relationships, romantic ones or in groups.

My critical response: the stories were intriguing but quickly became hard to swallow that he was not getting caught. With every season, more and more people found out who he was - once a couple people find out (and live), such secrets cannot realistically be maintained. And it wasn't like he was on the run and changing identities - his past kept catching up with him as more and more people found clues and even suspected him. It reminded me of Batman (in the comics) where, after decades, about a thousand people know his secret identity (friends, lovers, side-kicks, associates, cops, employees, allies, enemies, etc., etc.) yet somehow he's able to maintain it.

dexter was good fun for a couple of seasons. definitely worth watching the first two or three.
I didn't like the end too much.
I fantasized that he gets caught, gets convicted and a new season airs about Dexter in Jail. There's a lot they could do with that scenario. (Think Rorschach in Watchmen.)

The first four seasons are great with season three as the weakest. I actually really like Season 7 too even though it is a big decline, Season 5 is not bad too. Season 6 is awful and the last Season nearly ruined the whole show for me.

Was Lost any good? I lost interest (no pun intended) back when I heard that the writers were basically making the plot up as they went along. That makes me less motivated to watch any more of it since to me the "mystery" is meaningless when it turns out to have just been a hook to get viewers watching the next episode.

Never saw the ending but heard it was one of the worse points in the series.

Lost was great Ace you should check it out.

Dexter should've ended at the end of Season 5. With him and Lumen ending their relationship having got all they possibly could out of it, Lumen moving on from her attack and Dexter moving on from the death of his wife. Dexter then celebrating his sons first birthday not quite sure what the future holds.

Obviously I'm being Captain Hindsight here since I would've probably complained about there being no resolution, but I would've gotten over that and recognized it as a great and fairly consistent show.

I liked it. Classic existentialism that devolved down into a meaning of life dark vs light sort of thing. It seemed contrived in the later bits but was way better than average fare. Something for everyone to sink a tooth into I think.

Good up to season four, then from season five onwards it gets pretty bad in my opinion. Really enjoyed a lot of it though so I'd say it's worth buying.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Dexter is a favorite of mind, behind perhaps, maybe, Hannibal. The books aren't bad either, having read the first six books. I prefer Season One of the show over Book One, however. Even still, I'd still recommend the book series, it ventures in very different directions and I can't remember if it's the second or third book, is up there as one of the best, funniest stories that Dexter has. The book series is much more comedic and also portrays Dexter as a more emotionless serial-killer.

The book series is much more comedic and also portrays Dexter as a more emotionless serial-killer.
Yeah, it was kinda silly how the show occasionally just abandoned that in the later seasons.

I tried Dexter but couldnt even get halfway thru the pilot. bleah I wouldnt suggest assuming youll like it, try and watch an episode first.

Dexter was solid with the first two seasons, stumbled a bit with three, and regained itself excellently by season four. After that, it should have ended imo.

Season five was okay and at times really good, but definitely most certainly after that, it went down FAST.

I tried Dexter but couldnt even get halfway thru the pilot. bleah I wouldnt suggest assuming youll like it, try and watch an episode first.
This is a really old thread. I think Yoda's seen the entire series by now.

Great show. Sh!tty series finale and a few not great seasons, but great show.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Yeah, it was kinda silly how the show occasionally just abandoned that in the later seasons.
In the books, it alludes to the idea that Dexter's dark passenger is an offspring of a creature that dated back to King Solomon. xD

Stuck on series 5, didn't find it as interesting as the previous series so put it on pause a year or so ago and started something else, must get back to Dexter.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dexter is a perfect example of a showrunner leaving a show and those that picked up the reigns having no idea what they are doing. Clyde Phillips left after season 4, which many consider to be the best season (I prefer 2) and the show never recovered from then on.

The last season is another example how one particular season or episode can almost ruin an entire series. How I Met Your Mother follows the same pattern here.

Suspect's Reviews

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've tried three times now to finish the final season and failed each time.

A fantastic premise and a great early run but, as most think, the show hung around for too long. I've read some pieces where the Dexter is mentioned as a classic example of the makers falling in love with their (anti)hero to the extent that they can't bring themselves to turn off the machine.

A bit trite, but I can see the merit in the view.