The Post

→ in
Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."

So, I have been curious to this flick since the trailers, the Oscar buzz it got that year, the cast, etc. I actually rented it from the library once before, but never watched it. The other night, I was watching CNN’s “The Seventies” (highly recommend) and the dots connected for me as to what this movie is about. Visited the library again (right up the street from my house) and committed to watching it this time. Very pleased!

Things I like:

-the dialogue, some really good lines had me laughing or smiling, passionate delivery

-costumes and sets

-the cast (Hanks very cranky here)

-actors with nice voices (Bob Odenkirk, Lester from GTA V or Zero from San Andreas?, and the rude guy at the dinner in Scent of a Woman)

-The story, love the talk about JFK and past presidents, even the infamous stuff

I never really seen Meryl Streep in anything but I can see why people like her acting chops.

-the camerawork and music

What did you think of it? It seemed to come and go, whiff on Oscar bait hopes, never really looked into reviews or fan opinions. I also wasn’t born yet until 1990 so I didn’t get to experience it in real life, so if anyone here did, feedback about that time would be neat too.

I would give it an 8 out of 10.

I haven't seen it yet either. I should definitely give it a go after reading your breakdown, so thanks
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I never really seen Meryl Streep in anything but I can see why people like her acting chops.
Wow, think I’ve seen her in almost everything she’s done. An actress like no other.

The Post was enjoyable, but nothing extraordinary. Like All the President’s Men, for example.

This might just do nobody any good.
It’s a solid film, though a great one to listen to, if that makes any sense. I’d rank it lowest in Spielbergo’s trilogy of integrity in American institutions (Lincoln, Bridge of Spies) but a point I’d feel the need to make is that if they came from just about anyone else, they’d be considered directing career highlights.

Streep is really good, Hanks feels too showy (though I know the real Bradlee was something of a character himself) but i really commend Bob Odenkirk.

Welcome to the human race...
I remember thinking it was worth about a
when I first watched it, but reading certain leftist critiques of the film has definitely made me question whether it's effective beyond being shallow neoliberal back-patting that only pays superficial lip service to agreeable sentiments like freedom of the press or feminism.

I saw this film recently for the first time, and I really liked it. Btw the review by @Gideon58 illuminates in detail what makes this a beautifully made film - particular in noting that Spielberg may well
be ' our greatest storyteller.' I cannot laud Spielberg's talent as a film maker enough after seeing this movie . He reminds me of how a mature artist ( or musician) comes into their own - like Monet or Doc Watson - after decades of making superior work, they ' hit a stride' where whatever they do seems both effortless and mesmerizing.

The film starts slow, weaving stories together that seem almost random, and makes the viewer wonder- 'well, just exactly where is this all going? ' -yet still pulling in the viewer with tantalizing story telling. I like how Spielberg pulls it all together - and how he builds the story with genuine touches- great and small - that have so much verisimilitude: eg; Bradley on the phone trying to track down Ellsberg, the widow Graham revealing how her husband really passed on while in her elegant surroundings, and showing the cracks in her elegant demeanor. Graham meeting with her old friend MacNamara - how does a consummate hostess relate to one she has long broke bread with, and who has now broken her trust. Using a silhouette of Nixon while using his real voice - what a brilliant stroke of film making. And giving Nixon the last lines was almost like watching the end of a horror or sci fi monster movie - ( only this story is authentic) : chilling and prescient.

I have to admit that although I am familiar with the story of Watergate - I really didn't know much about the Pentagon papers. Nor what resounding effect they would have on the denouement of the Vietnam war. It is a credit to Spielberg that he could tell the story in a way that became crystal clear as it was being revealed; all the while sweeping the audience along with building momentum- so by the end you were gripping your seat and alternately cringing and cheering. A master at his best - Bravo!

I also would say that this was Tom Hanks at his best. We all expect Meryl to be outstanding in her role; but I was more blown away by Hanks' multi layered performance. Didn't even recognize him at first , his portrayal was more real than I ' ve ever seen him.

I would not give this a full five stars for only one reason - evidently there are people who have experienced a very different philosophy about this historical time , and see the movie's viewpoint as biased. I personally think the story told here is about as genuine and accurate as reportage can get. But the story may not be as universal to some as, say, Darkest Hour.

I still look at the women and men of this movie, and the story it tells , as heroes, delving within their flawed selves to ultimately serve the public with honesty and bravery. But they arose in an era of uncertainty, fear and great divisiveness, a test of the fabric of the character of many leaders, a time when trust and faith in the powers that be was deeply shaken. A time, as their contemporary bard Bob Dylan put it - 'when the first one now shall later be last' - powerfully deeply - changing times.

Not unlike the times today.

Yet the hearts and minds of dedicated men and women still thrive. As does The Post.

Four and a half stars.

What did you think of it? It seemed to come and go, whiff on Oscar bait hopes, never really looked into reviews or fan opinions. I also wasn’t born yet until 1990 so I didn’t get to experience it in real life, so if anyone here did, feedback about that time would be neat too.

I would give it an 8 out of 10.
The Pentagon Papers were stack of thousands of documents that Daniel Ellsberg along with co-worker Anthony Russo surreptitiously copied while employed at the Rand Corporation. These documents showed that Johnson knew that the Vietnam War could not be won, and his purpose in the war was to contain China, not as humanitarian aid to South Vietnam. He was shown to have systematically lied to the public about the U.S. national interests.

THAT was the big story. I recall the impact it had at the time. The secondary story was that the New York Times' Neil Sheehan was given a huge amount of the stolen documents, which the Times subsequently published before they were given a court order to desist. Soon Ellsberg gave copies to many other large newspapers, one of which was the Washington Post. Shortly after, the Supreme Court ruled that the publishing was legal as per the First Amendment.

So the Post's decision to also publish some of the material was a minor story by then. However in the film The Post, they give the impression that it was the courageous work of Katharine Graham and Ben Bradlee that broke the story that outed the Johnson administration's skullduggery. And that due to their heroism the public was made aware of the governmental dirty dealing.

IMO Spielberg was looking to replicate the success of 1976's All the President's Men, and also aim to pick up an Oscar for himself, Meryl Streep and possibly Tom Hanks.

And Spielberg did assemble a fine production. The main problem was that there was only a minor story they were trying to portray. There were no Woodward and Bernsteins, no Deep Throat, and no excitement. How long did they drag out Graham's tortured waffling: "Should I publish?" "No, I can't publish" "But should I publish?" "No, I just can't." Sheesh! To me the single highlight of the film was Bob Odenkirk's work as the Post's Ben Bagdikian. He took a thankless part and made it interesting.

The Post was a well put together film, but it was misguided, and took aim at the wrong story. It won no major awards.

I posted a full review in Feb. '18 here: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=52971

~Doc