Characters who are good people but people think they're evil

Tools    

I would think you can have evil Force ghosts though – in fact haven't they been shown in the animated episodes? – just as you can have evil spirits.

Sorsha in Willow is another good example I think. She's nothing if not complicit in all the butchery but like Vader comes through at the end. And looks hot while she's doing it, unlike Vader.
Hahaha I bet a person with a creepy case of Mechanophilia would disagree

Hahaha I bet a person with a creepy case of Mechanophilia would disagree
Yeah but they're so hard to come by.

snake plissken is a dumb character
Is he 'eckers like. Though John Carpenter likes Captain Ron the best.

Yeah but they're so hard to come by.
In the screwed up world we live in now it wouldn't surprise me. I mean if you told someone in the 50s that people would get freaky to cartoons I doubt anyone would believe you.

I understand you probably mean that as a joke but I would argue Satan is perfect for this list. think about it he was loyal to God but when God created man he expected all the angels to bow down to his new creation but the devil Lucifer did not. Now these nazi baby killers give satanism a bad name. I would argue a true believer in satanism just believe in free will. And I can understand why Satan never paid tribute to God's new creation I mean why would he. For one just look at our species we are capable of terrible things terrorism murder rape Lucifer probably felt alienated that such a divine God would create such a corrupt thing as man. And for not kneeling down to God's new creation he was punished. cast into an internal pit of hell for eternity just so God could set an example of him. Put it this way if I grew up hearing from friends family and everyone in my life that are Particula man who was sent to prison deserved it and everyone in my whole life was telling me how bad he was maybe I would begin to believe that he deserved it too. That's the same with the devil everyone thinks of him as a terrible creature that resides in hell. but if someone goes to prison I want to know what got him there and people never ask what got the Lucifer in hell they always just assume that he is guilty. But all Lucifer was is the first angel that put into practice free will and got severely punished for it. Now if there is a twist a curve ball in the story of religion maybe it is that the devil is really the hero and God the villain

Welcome to the human race...
I find this thread questionable because of the disregard for moral ambiguity. Any sufficiently complex characters can't be boiled down into a simple binary of "good" and "evil" so easily, let alone getting into arguing which of these two categories we think each individual character belongs. A lot of the answers here amount to "they weren't that bad" which doesn't automatically make them "good" either. Also, when you say "but people think they're evil", is "people" meant to refer to audiences or to other characters within the same movie? The answers seem to go back and forth on that one even though your post ultimately specifies audiences.

Stannis Baratheon - Game of Thrones

As a young boy stannous awaited his parents to return home. As he caught sight of there ship it suddenly crashed and he bearded witness to his parents death. In his grief when he needed his older brother the most his older brother abandoned him and Stannis was left to look after his younger brother Renley. The way I see it' this is the only character that is more loyal than that ned stark. A man who would rather eat horses dogs rats and even his own shoes then give up a castle. All for his brother the king Who he despises yet is loyal too because duty commands it. In the famous words of Stannis "Big or small we must do our duty " Stannis is a man of few words but strong actions. But unfortunately Game of Thrones fans are under the miss conception that Stannis is a power hungry evil man who sacrificed his own daughter. But again in the words of stannis what is one life in the name of the kingdom. Stannis did what he did to save all from darkness. Evan sacrificing his own soul in the process by giving up his daughter Shareen. But for a man as loyal as Stannis his brother the king gave the castle storms end too his younger brother Renley Who had done nothing to contribute and was only six years old at the time. So you could imagine the betrayal that Stannis felt. And the betrayal he felt once again when all his troubles were for nothing as the red woman's visions in the flames were misinterpreted.

What film or TV characters do you feel fans don't understand and why ?
Stannis is a good example of such a morally grey character - he almost functions as a foil to Ned Stark in showing how loyalty is not necessarily a sign of a person's goodness. More importantly, he's an example of how the road to hell is paved with good intentions as he keeps resorting to increasingly twisted means in order to achieve his goals. This ultimately made him seem no better than other cruelly insane rulers like Aegon or Joffrey and cost him everything, so while he may not be the most evil character on a show packed with him, it certainly doesn't make him a quote-unquote "good guy".

D-Fens (Sorta): Falling Down.
He's already driven his wife and daughter away before the movie begins, so I do question how good a person he was in the first place and how targeting bad people doesn't really make up for that.

I would argue that Daniel Plainview (There Will be Blood) didnt start out as evil. Greed totally corrupted him and turned him from a family man into a ruthless individual. At the end, after he pushes away his son, you can tell deep down he regrets it, and despite the fact that he cruely tells his son he never cared about him, his emotions say otherwise. He has the flashbacks of playing with his son when he was a child, and you can tell he did in fact love him. The built up anger over pushing away his son spurs him to snap and kill Eli in the final scene.

Just like Charles Foster Kane, behind all the money and the power, Plainview lost himself and was internally miserable. And that was the whole point of the movie.
Again, hard to say how much it is a matter of straight-up good-or-evil but this is a guy who starts the movie by dragging himself through the desert with a broken leg to make a pittance on a silver mine so the determination to succeed has always been there. The only reason he becomes a family man in the first place is by adopting a child he's ultimately responsible for orphaning, plus there's always the question of how much he loved him and how much he was using him as a prop to maintain his "family man" image for the sake of his business (as seen when he replaces the now-deaf son with the guy claiming to be his brother).

Nurse Ratched. She is no good. But, she is not THAT bad. No.5.on AFI list of greatest villains ever??! I always thought McMurphy was way worse than Ratched. McMurphy was lazy rapist and small time crimos. One can tell that Ratched was only doing his job.
Until she tells Billy that she's going to tell his mother about catching him in bed with McMurphy's friend, thus cementing that it's not about "just doing the job" but about abusing her own power at the expense of the patients she's supposed to be healing. I definitely agree with the idea that McMurphy himself is not a good guy, but that doesn't make Ratched good by default.

ALL robots. They are only robots. They supposed to be kliing machines. I dont find them evil.
Roy Batty,Hal 9000,T 800,T 1000...
What those examples have in common is that they are all given such advanced artificial intelligence that they do reach an approximation of human sapience so that does make them a bit more accountable in terms of their own morality. Even so, Roy Batty's an ambiguous example who's neither good or evil.

Sgt Hartman. Why the hell ANYBODY would think he was villain in FMJ?? He was only doing HIS JOB. Sure, he is harsh. But,if you must prepare people.to WAR, you can't be generous.
War is the villain and he is one of its many henchmen.

Angel Eyes. Sure he's emotionless killer. In wild west you must be if you wonna survive. I always found him as solo player trying survive. He is evil sociopath and villain, nevertheless. Not THAT evil. For me, Tuco was true villian.
You've really got it backwards. Tuco is the character who's become a killer to survive (as evidenced by the scene where he talks to his brother), whereas Angel Eyes is quickly established as a ruthless killer-for-hire (Guy 1 hires him to kill Guy 2, Guy 2 tries to buy him off in order to kill Guy 1, he kills Guy 2 but takes the money and kills Guy 1 anyway). You might as well call Blondie the villain of the movie.

Oh, another one – Snake Plissken.
This is what I was talking about earlier when the question is whether it's the characters or the audience who sees him as evil - I don't think audiences consider Snake to be evil

snake plissken is a dumb character
Why?

love Kurt Russel but snake is such a boring and undeveloped character. Hes just a rebel with a terrible growling voice. Also in whether hes bad or not in the end of escape from new York he changes out a tape that could end up to the death of many

This is what I was talking about earlier when the question is whether it's the characters or the audience who sees him as evil - I don't think audiences consider Snake to be evil
No. Riddick is another example.

What those examples have in common is that they are all given such advanced artificial intelligence that they do reach an approximation of human sapience so that does make them a bit more accountable in terms of their own morality. Even so, Roy Batty's an ambiguous example who's neither good or evil.
in of the movie.
Actually Vision in the Marvel universe is the closest example I can think of of a near or actually sentient machine. There's that bit where he says he's deciding whether he's good or evil.

love Kurt Russel but snake is such a boring and undeveloped character. Hes just a rebel with a terrible growling voice. Also in whether hes bad or not in the end of escape from new York he changes out a tape that could end up to the death of many
You get enough hints and exposition about his background to explain why he is the way he is, so I'm not sure what your standard for a sufficiently developed character would be. Also not sure where you came to the conclusion that the tape "could" lead to deaths.

You get enough hints and exposition about his background to explain why he is the way he is, so I'm not sure what your standard for a sufficiently developed character would be. Also not sure where you came to the conclusion that the tape "could" lead to deaths.

I'm all for shades of grey in characters in fact I hate it when things are funnelled down to just good and evil like pretty much every Marvel flick. But call me crazy I really think Stannis was a good man obviously there is no such thing as a truly good person nor bad. and I find that conflict in a character should be a central ingredient and all characters should have shades of grey to some Extent or another. Be that as it may I think Stannis has a particularly bad rap from fans and for the most part is misinterpreted. You clearly understand him though as a character and your summary of him is very acre-at
but still in a Kingdom of careless people he was the king who cared. And being loyal doesn't particularly make you a good guy on that we agree but GTO fans always praise Ned stark for how loyal he was when he wasn't the most loyal person in the show. This Thread is mainly just aimed at characters who are constantly missed judged by fans. And Stannis is the best example I can think of

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I would argue that Daniel Plainview (There Will be Blood) didnt start out as evil. Greed totally corrupted him and turned him from a family man into a ruthless individual. At the end, after he pushes away his son, you can tell deep down he regrets it, and despite the fact that he cruely tells his son he never cared about him, his emotions say otherwise. He has the flashbacks of playing with his son when he was a child, and you can tell he did in fact love him. The built up anger over pushing away his son spurs him to snap and kill Eli in the final scene.

Just like Charles Foster Kane, behind all the money and the power, Plainview lost himself and was internally miserable. And that was the whole point of the movie.
I wouldn't say this is the best example, I just wanted to comment. Notice Daniel's concern after H.W. says that Mary's father beats her if she doesn't say her prayers... Daniel sees the concern with his son and does something about it...

He also cries when he reads about his past.. Sounds like he had a bad father, but Daniel never hits H.W. and after he asks Mary if she likes her dress, he says "AND NO MORE HITTING" loud enough to show that wimp of a man he is weak... doesn't even defend himself when his son is about to choke him to death, but he can hit a little girl with no problem.

Great topic - I'll have to think more.

I'm all for shades of grey in characters in fact I hate it when things are funnelled down to just good and evil like pretty much every Marvel flick. But call me crazy I really think Stannis was a good man obviously there is no such thing as a truly good person nor bad. and I find that conflict in a character should be a central ingredient and all characters should have shades of grey to some Extent or another. Be that as it may I think Stannis has a particularly bad rap from fans and for the most part is misinterpreted. You clearly understand him though as a character and your summary of him is very acre-at
but still in a Kingdom of careless people he was the king who cared. And being loyal doesn't particularly make you a good guy on that we agree but GTO fans always praise Ned stark for how loyal he was when he wasn't the most loyal person in the show. This Thread is mainly just aimed at characters who are constantly missed judged by fans. And Stannis is the best example I can think of
Yeah, the thing about Stannis is that you don't get much of a read on his inner psychology in either the books or the show so it's hard to gauge how much of his motivation is truly out of a desire to serve the realm (and it is complicated by Melisandre making him out to be the Lord of Light, which may contribute to it being a bit of an ego trip). In the end, any good intentions he had are ultimately overshadowed by his more recognisably cruel actions - that's also a good summary of Walter White, who somehow still got treated as the hero of the show even as he went further and further down the spiral.

I still can't think of a good answer for the original question, though. Seems like it's easier to think of bad characters who people think are good.

I wouldn't say this is the best example, I just wanted to comment. Notice Daniel's concern after H.W. says that Mary's father beats her if she doesn't say her prayers... Daniel sees the concern with his son and does something about it...

He also cries when he reads about his past.. Sounds like he had a bad father, but Daniel never hits H.W. and after he asks Mary if she likes her dress, he says "AND NO MORE HITTING" loud enough to show that wimp of a man he is weak... doesn't even defend himself when his son is about to choke him to death, but he can hit a little girl with no problem.

Great topic - I'll have to think more.
Exactly. All great examples of how Plainview wasn't pure evil as he's often labeled.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Exactly. All great examples of how Plainview wasn't pure evil as he's often labeled.
If the topic was reversed, I'd use Eli as the perfect example.. Plainview (even his name is clear) never tries to hide his ambitions, which is probably why he can't stand Eli, who is a LOT worse than his reputation, and from the moment they meet, until the moment he departs... Remember, he does help bring roads and schools, before he bowls

I haven't watched this yet, but considering Charlie Rose' problems, it might be pulled down...

Interview with PTA and DDL about "There Will Be Blood"

We've gone on holiday by mistake
@Bunker Wise

I think your avatar is a great example, Roy from Blade Runner.

The first time you watch the film you lazily view the replicants or whatever you want to call them as the bad guys, then at the end you realise that no they aren't, they may not exactly be saints but they have been created with a cruel 4 year life span, so it is Deckard and the Tyrell corporation who are bad, its just we haven't been viewing them as such.

@Bunker Wise

I think your avatar is a great example, Roy from Blade Runner.

The first time you watch the film you lazily view the replicants or whatever you want to call them as the bad guys, then at the end you realise that no they aren't, they may not exactly be saints but they have been created with a cruel 4 year life span, so it is Deckard and the Tyrell corporation who are bad, its just we haven't been viewing them as such.
I always feel bad for Roy being born into slavery and finally breaking away from being a slave only to realise he is on the last year of this four year life span. If he was created under the control of Peter Weyland instead of the Tyrell corporation. What amazing opportunities he would i've had. And he should've been gifted opportunities of space travel or something of importance rather than just slavery. His intellect is far too superior for slavery. But has Tyrell quotes A light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Unfortunately Roy was never meant to last. Just merely exist as a foot soldier on an off wold colony where he is no use to anyone. Roy and his fellow replicants deserved so much better